Thailand expects nearly 1 million Chinese tourists in October

webfact

Thanks. As it was made in 2012 I guess the DVD shop is the only place to look for it now.

If TAT were smart, they'd hire a Chinese director and do a sequel. It did for Chinese tourism what "The Beach" did for western tourism.

Given the type of tourists that The Beach has brought to Thailand, it is worth noting that they are of the sort that Richard despised

No doubt. But their money spends just as good...

Edit: And besides, every real life tourist is the sort that Richard despised. He was an elitist, and an appropriate last name for him would be Head. Most of us have to actually work for a living and take our holidays on life's terms. Except in the movies...

I disagree. He disliked tourists that ruined places, as do I, but he only despised the Full Moon Party types. I doubt that middle England matrons come to Thailand because they want to live on a secret island.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See. You get it. Traveling the globe is about meeting people who are different. Not better. Not worse. Different.

Think of all the stories you'd be missing out on if they all acted like the knobs back home.

"Went to China and it was jam packed with people just like my neighbors back home..." What's the point?

"Went to Thailand and hung out in a bar with a bunch of blokes from the next town over." Why bother with the flight?

"Went to Thailand and saw a gorgeous babe drop trou and wiz all over a patch of weeds." Now there's a story.

Oh they're different alright,

Ho Ho Ho. I laugh on you. They treat Thailand as a sperm receptacle and a vomitoreum.

Not all of them, mind you. But the Chinese I run into are more polite than the average Euro or Aussie or US tourist. (Canadians generally get high marks from me- so polite they're spooky)

Of course, you won't even know they're Chinese if they blend right in... You only notice the knotheads.

Remind us again which nationality it was that the Thai tourist board deemed necessary to be handed published guidelines on unacceptable behaviour in public ?

99% of the time, TAT is ridiculed here on TVF. Unless, of course, their actions support some agenda. I get the sense yours is one of those agendas.

Aren't you a little embarassed to look to TAT to validate your disdain for the Chinese?

I don't believe the TAT is needed to validate any disdain for the Chinese http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_08_2015/post-147745-0-14676400-1439547828_thumb.jpg Dear God .. bah.gif

I think you should see what goes on in Pattaya at two or three in the morning ! People (very few of them are oriental looking) walking back to their hotels, badly drunk, and sometimes vomiting or urinating in public places. Disgusting !

:)

http://www.samuitimes.com/naked-canadian-tourist-causes-phuket-pandemonium/

post-90851-0-59183300-1439651927_thumb.j

It's easy to find bad pictures on the internet. Now then, how many drunken Chinese tourists cause problems ? How many drunken Chinese tourists are there in Pattaya ? What about other tourists getting drunk, and causing all kinds of problems ? Through-out Thailand.

It's easy to find bad pictures on the internet. Now then, how many drunken Chinese tourists cause problems ? How many drunken Chinese tourists are there in Pattaya ? What about other tourists getting drunk, and causing all kinds of problems ? Through-out Thailand.

Love it. Thanks for the pic.

Which led me to do a comprehensive review of this Google Images Link.

Lots of the "preferred tourists" respecting Thai culture in their own endearing way, but strangely, not many Chinese tourists....in fact, I saw none.

(Edit: But since this is just a wind-up, I didn't look that hard, and I stand to be corrected if I missed any...)

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=full+moon+party+passed+out&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBwQsARqFQoTCPy6noutrMcCFRQJjgod_28ALw&biw=1360&bih=659

Edited by impulse

After looking at the photograph, especially considering what's written on the right girl's T-shirt, I'll never ever write a Chinese bashing post again.

She doesn't look like she'd spit in my pool.....

" I want more." Oh, yes.

Does anybody know her facebook username? I think I fell in love with China. wub.png

I rarely see Chinese in departures with bags of duty free, whatever gifts they buy must be in their check in luggage.

I rarely see them eating or spending in departures either, and I and fly in and out every 8 weeks.

Last time I flew into swampy immigration was empty at 0930 no queues and not choka with Chinese either.

I will be flying back in on Sunday, same timings and if so can will take pictures. Maybe DM is seeing a bigger Chinese contingent?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you have a billion visitors, unless they're spending is in proportion to their numbers, it means nothing.

It's like having a garage and have lots of interest but no sales.

maybe you should get out more...

Between 16-20 flights in and out of the country per annum isn't enough to make such observations then?

Try Don Mueang , air asia flights always full,

I flew into swampy this morning from Istanbul, it took me less than 5 mins from getting off the plane to clear customs and immigration the fastest in 3 years.

The place was EMPTY at 1000 this morning

The other poster who claimed the Chinese wouldn't spend anything at duty free either as it was too expensive is talking bullshit, the TAT stats have each and every Chinese tourist spending on average 10,000 baht a day!!

If they're spending that much daily per time in country, they would have no qualms about spending 10K in duty free!!

Unless these numbers have been manipulated, much like most things pertaining to Thai Tourist Authority!!

As one poster highlighted for the numbers arriving per month, the flights don't add up either.

Between 16-20 flights in and out of the country per annum isn't enough to make such observations then?

I flew into swampy this morning from Istanbul, it took me less than 5 mins from getting off the plane to clear customs and immigration the fastest in 3 years.

The other poster who claimed the Chinese wouldn't spend anything at duty free either as it was too expensive is talking bullshit, the TAT stats have each and every Chinese tourist spending on average 10,000 baht a day!!

If they're spending that much daily per time in country, they would have no qualms about spending 10K in duty free!!

Unless these numbers have been manipulated, much like most things pertaining to Thai Tourist Authority!!

As one poster highlighted for the numbers arriving per month, the flights don't add up either.

WOW. Even exploited Chinese workers earn more than I did when working in London. I could never have afforded 10,000 baht every day when I was visiting LOS.

This is why they are like they are, apparently,

Okay, I'll give it up now biggrin.png

I wouldnt go to the public toilets either they stink, hahah

They are an exciting race , something new happens all the time. I usually go to mcdonalds bathrooms when in public always clean. Mcdonalds on every corner.

I find it great place , yes you have socially ignorant people but they usually from the poor or live at the very poor end of the spectrum.

The very poor are considered "non humans" or trash . These people attract most of the negative attention.

at the end of the day, i feel safer walking anytime of day/night in china then i do in my home town sydney. go figure.

its also wrong to take things out of text and consider it the norm. If you did, you wouldnt travel anywhere.

One of the busiest border crossings is the Hong Kong - Shenzhen cross. If you think the chinese dont spend then do this crossing at least one time . You will soon change your opinions.

I wouldnt go to the public toilets either they stink, hahah

You fail to appreciate the genius of their "enhanced accessibility" public rest rooms.

Even blind people can find them, and people who can't read a word of Chinese.

1 million because they are RICH!!! They have spent billions on Real Estate in America, and fly the world to see how the expats live.

People are so jealous they can fly to Thailand, and then LEAVE......while most expats here spend 49 baht on soup noodle and wait for change from their 50 baht bill...

yes, this means you!!!!

i'm off to china to study the pandas......

Wrong. The rich Chinese don't deign to visit Thailand. They go to America, Europe, New Zealand.

Thailand is a budget destination for not-so-rich (and usually low class) Chinese.

Bit of a narrow minded perspective. The first week in October is 'Golden Week' one of the week long holidays in China and many take the opportunity to visit relatives here in Thailand. Around this area there are Chinese graveyards that stretch as far as the eye can see.

We went to the Chinese embassy a couple of days ago to see about a visa for my sister in law and can see why the Americans have a down on China.

Single entry tourist visa for Thai national is 1000 Baht and 1100 Baht for every other country except America, for them it is 4560 Baht.

We went to the Chinese embassy a couple of days ago to see about a visa for my sister in law and can see why the Americans have a down on China.

Single entry tourist visa for Thai national is 1000 Baht and 1100 Baht for every other country except America, for them it is 4560 Baht.

In fairness, that's just a reciprocity thing. It's meant to be close to what the Chinese pay for a US visa.

Or, depending on how you look at it, you could call it tit for tat...

Edited by impulse

After looking at the photograph, especially considering what's written on the right girl's T-shirt, I'll never ever write a Chinese bashing post again.

She doesn't look like she'd spit in my pool.....

" I want more." Oh, yes.

Does anybody know her facebook username? I think I fell in love with China. wub.png

I rarely see Chinese in departures with bags of duty free, whatever gifts they buy must be in their check in luggage.

I rarely see them eating or spending in departures either, and I and fly in and out every 8 weeks.

Last time I flew into swampy immigration was empty at 0930 no queues and not choka with Chinese either.

I will be flying back in on Sunday, same timings and if so can will take pictures. Maybe DM is seeing a bigger Chinese contingent?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you have a billion visitors, unless they're spending is in proportion to their numbers, it means nothing.

It's like having a garage and have lots of interest but no sales.

Sorry but TAT is not entirely reliable with numbers. Anyway they quoted chinese spending 5-6k baht, not 10, and they count their money on the way out.....it's not going on duty free in my experience.

You were lucky in swampy by any account, but then again, now is not a busy time as there are no chinese holidays. Wait until mid autumn festival in October, and go to Don Mueng anytime during that week. It will be disgusting I would guarantee that......much like it was in February during chinese new year.

Even if this number is a tad exaggerated it's a hefty number to ignore

My missus traveled with me to China this month and she is from CM and told me she finally understands why the Chinese love CM

At million a month, that's 500,000 room nights daily and even at an average joe price of USD$50 a night at , the scale of numbers stagger what the western can bring ; it supports local jobs and all the factory tours which westerners don't go anymore or photo ops stuff

By the way Chinese has about 200 million outgoing this year ...so one million is not really that much

The classy Chinese are all over you just may be looking for them at the wrong place

Was just at Dhara Dhevi CM and the local sales rep tells us it's 60% occupancy Chinese now and they all eat at Fujian one of my fav Chinese restaurant there ...certainly not 40 baht a dish place and the room rates there are scary enough for western backpackers ...same in four seasons Meriden and Shangrila

There are quality tourists from China absolutely it's just not your average joe and they have 1.3 billion the top 5 % who are classy loves their European trips etc etc but they still love Thailand for the beautiful resorts and beaches and the short flying distance

Even if this number is a tad exaggerated it's a hefty number to ignore

My missus traveled with me to China this month and she is from CM and told me she finally understands why the Chinese love CM

At million a month, that's 500,000 room nights daily and even at an average joe price of USD$50 a night at , the scale of numbers stagger what the western can bring ; it supports local jobs and all the factory tours which westerners don't go anymore or photo ops stuff

By the way Chinese has about 200 million outgoing this year ...so one million is not really that much

The classy Chinese are all over you just may be looking for them at the wrong place

Was just at Dhara Dhevi CM and the local sales rep tells us it's 60% occupancy Chinese now and they all eat at Fujian one of my fav Chinese restaurant there ...certainly not 40 baht a dish place and the room rates there are scary enough for western backpackers ...same in four seasons Meriden and Shangrila

There are quality tourists from China absolutely it's just not your average joe and they have 1.3 billion the top 5 % who are classy loves their European trips etc etc but they still love Thailand for the beautiful resorts and beaches and the short flying distance

Hmmmm Plenty of Chinese go to Koh Larn beaches to eat seafood, but it has the worst trashed beach in all Thailand, so I guess beauty is not a requisite.

So they don't come to Thailand to eat Thai food off street food carts LOL. Many westerners travel thousands of miles to sit in the gutter and breath CO while eating very average Thai food.

I just don't get the Chinese story. One day they are all wearing Mao suits, waving little red books, riding bicycles and shooting dissidents, the next they are driving so many cars they kill thousands with pollution, taking expensive holidays in Thailand and creating billionaires out of nothing.

If that is because greedy capitalist scum crooks have exported all the western manufacturing jobs to China, just imagine how prosperous western societies would be now if the jobs had stayed at home.

Edited by thaibeachlovers