Rent in Thailand’s “Rose of the North” For $500 a Month

CMfoodie

Have at it TV members... let the deluge begin...

Here in Chiang Mai, we enjoy all the amenities of a large, modern city for small town prices. We pay less than $500 per month for our 1,000-square-foot condo in the city center. Walking five minutes in either direction from our front door will take us to two, large, modern malls. There we can watch all the latest blockbusters in a modern eight-screen cinema for $3…the popcorn is actually more expensive than the movies.

http://internationalliving.com/2015/08/rent-in-thailands-rose-of-the-north-for-500-a-month/

Yes, brilliant piece by two guys from Hillside IV. 3 "Thai Shirts" for 10 Canadian? I guess we have to click on a link, or stay tuned to find out how much their circus pants cost. Hopefully the "clicks" on their site will buy enough condoms to prevent more "viruses."

Actually its written by someone with a wife named Nancy...could it be THE Nancy?

Nancy claims to be from Dade County Florida...while a grey area, most consider it to still be part of the US. The website in question mentions B.C..

Nope this guy isn't Hubby. I know him, though. $500 a month -- about 17,000 baht for rent isn't exactly living in a fan room and eating ramen noodles. Give the guy a break. At least he's being fairly realistic about the costs of living here.

Hope he and wifey Nancy wear their helmets when they putter around the sois on their motorbike. At least my Hubby enjoys the sois on foot, walking around the Old City early almost every morning.

$500 for rent?

Crikey!

i'm amazed at how many of these age 25ish 'digital nomads' are plunking down US $500 for rent here. some of the ads that come on facebook for ugly homes, drab apartments with 12 y/o couches, etc. for 17,000 Bath sometimes get 5-6 interested responses within 30 minutes of posting. Thais must be loving the digital nomads.

Edited by Oscar2

As the OP said -- let the deluge begin!

$500 -- 17,000 baht will get you a very nice 2 bedroom condo, with reliable wifi and comfortable aircon in the Huay Kaew/Nimman area, where you can walk to see first run movies for about $3 and, yes, dine at Duke's afterwards with a glass of wine for about $25.

Remember this article is aimed at selling reports to people who are dreaming about retirement destinations. Frankly, I think it paints a pretty realistic picture of how a certain segment of retirees in Chiang Mai spend their time. It sounds like a nice lifestyle to someone trying to make ends meet in in North America, especially in a large city with cold, icy winters and few activities for the elderly or someone stuck out in the suburb or a rural area where it's a long drive to do anything interesting.

The point of many of Steve's articles is that we retirees are just steps away from interesting and low cost activities here in Chiang Mai. Every day is different, the weather is good, life is easy and costs are lower than in our home countries. Yet, he doesn't paint the picture of living in in bed-sit, eating street food and drinking Chang specials at an outdoor bar as retirement fun.

Personally, I don't see much wrong with his writing, or this magazine (of late -- I used to have a problem with them until they changed editors) as long as they point out the need to have savings or health insurance or some sort of appropriate resources in case you get into problems here. Of course they aren't going to do that in the first three paragraphs of an article.

Edited by NancyL