NLA to boost nation's image

Lite Beer

NLA to boost nation's image
WATCHIRANONT THONGTEP
THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- THE NATIONAL Legislative Assembly is considering attempts to improve the country's image through "quality tourism" strategies and further engaging international agencies to show that Thailand is transitioning to a democratic government.

"We have been through a number of crises including political conflicts, natural disasters - floods and droughts - and the global economic slowdown, but Thailand remains one of world's [most popular] tourist destinations because we have many things to offer," NLA member Pilaipan Sombutsiri said yesterday. "For example, luxury hotels with affordable prices, delicious food and fresh fruit, culture and entertainment activities."

She said the country needed an integrated national public relations campaign to enhance its image in the global community.

She raised this issue at the opening of a seminar organised by the NLA to discuss Thailand's image by providing a brainstorming platform for experts in tourism, social security and international affairs.

Another NLA member, Sakthip Krairiksh, said public relations campaigns must reflect national interests in a constructive way.

Suwat Chirapant, deputy permanent secretary of the Foreign Ministry, acknowledged that the global economic slowdown and Thailand's export slump were affecting the country's economic growth.

"At this stage, tourism is the only key driver boosting the national economy," he said.

He said the country's image was being challenged by three issues - human trafficking, illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, and irregular migration.

He claimed the military-led regime had urgently tackled these problems and solid progress had been made in reforming laws and regulations and implementing measures to rectify the situation. The Foreign Ministry was taking a comprehensive approach to tackling the issues and was working with other countries to find solutions.

Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, executive director of the advertising and public relations department of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, said luring "quality" travellers was the key focus for the Kingdom. He defined quality travellers as high spenders who stayed longer, and included MICE (meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions) delegates, medical tourists and other niche markets.

Regarding tourism safety, Lt-Colonel Chanchai Rattanapanich, deputy spokeswoman for the Royal Thai Police, said there were more than 1,000 well-trained Tourist Police officers to assist foreign visitors in case of emergency.

She said tourist courts were now open in key tourism destinations, namely Pattaya, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket, to solve minor disputes before visitors leave the country.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/NLA-to-boost-nations-image-30266630.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-15

THE NATIONAL Legislative Assembly is considering attempts to improve the country's image through "quality tourism" strategies and further engaging international agencies to show that Thailand is transitioning to a democratic government.

That is such a bad joke on both points....

I think that when "Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, executive director of the advertising and public relations department of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, said luring "quality" travellers was the key focus for the Kingdom", has managed to underscore the key as to why their programs are and will continue to fail.

​They are not saying lets make this place more attractive, better, progressive, hospitable and find out what it is these quality tourists want. The emphasis was to "lure" them.

Good luck with your luring.

Such wheezes will always be doomed to failure until these closeted folk have the ability to see themselves and their country the way outsiders do. No easy feat when anything that matters begins and ends at your borders...

I think that when "Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, executive director of the advertising and public relations department of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, said luring "quality" travellers was the key focus for the Kingdom", has managed to underscore the key as to why their programs are and will continue to fail.

​They are not saying lets make this place more attractive, better, progressive, hospitable and find out what it is these quality tourists want. The emphasis was to "lure" them.

Good luck with your luring.

Good post CP.

Had the Na Ayuttaya man made a little more effort to choose his words wisely, he might have just added two small letters "al" to the word and come up with "alluring" and used the word in a better context. Luring is what you do with rats and then they get stuck in the glue. I should know.

Alluring, OTOH, is just what Thailand could be without all the "nickel and dime" scams still prevalent here in the magic kingdom.whistling.gif .

adjective: alluring
powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating; seductive.

"He said the country's image was being challenged by three issues - human trafficking, illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, and irregular migration."

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the current form of government also present a slight challenge to the all important image of the country...coffee1.gif

Regarding tourism safety, Lt-Colonel Chanchai Rattanapanich, deputy spokeswoman for the Royal Thai Police, said there were more than 1,000 well-trained Tourist Police officers to assist foreign visitors in case of emergency.

Meanwhile tourists are getting scammed by JetSki thugs with assistance from Policeofficers - Touristpolice is a laugh, has never worked and will never Work ... 99% when a tourist gets killed its solved as suicide, accident or natural death and of course the case where RTP just find some scapegoats ...

Thailand has destroyed its tourism and they deserve what will come very soon ...

"He said the country's image was being challenged by three issues - human trafficking, illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, and irregular migration."

Let's also add Jet Ski scams, tuk tuk and taxi mafia scams, quadruple (and more) overcharging of foreigners, totally unsafe driving conditions, increased crimes such as muggings, robbery and assault against tourists, total and compete rip offs of everything possible, in every way imaginable. Shall I go on?

Tourist courts? How are those working down in the gulf where the mafia reign supreme and can openly brutually murder tourists and find some Burmese scapegoats to take the fall because of dirty connections that run all the way to the top.

I think most tourists know about the corruption before they come. The wild wild east is part of the appeal for some!

THE NATIONAL Legislative Assembly is considering attempts to improve the country's image through "quality tourism" strategies and further engaging international agencies to show that Thailand is transitioning to a democratic government.

Ah, another day, another pair of wet pants cheesy.gif

I class my self as a descent law abiding citizen and visit Thailand approximately 7 months of the year on a "O" visa and on average spend around 700,000 baht a year, and yet I made to jump through hoops fly out of the country and back all to appease the currant visa reg's. And there saying they want quality tourists !!!!

The image of a country can not just boosted with glossy brochures and a luring mentality.

For more than 20 years in Thailand and more than 12 years in the tourist business I can say:
The image is now in the toilet.
Unfortunately, there are since many years to many negative news.

Generally there exists worldwide a positive correlation between level of education and income.
And the quality tourists inform themselves intensively about there holiday destination.
No matter what travel guide you read, or which websites you look at.
It's always:
When you arrive at the airport, beware of ….
If you use a taxi, beware of …..
If u hire a tuk tuk, beware of ……
If you go to the Kings Palace, beware of …
If you visit a national park, beware of ….
If you rent a jet ski, beware of …..
If you rent a motobike, beware of….
If you buy ……, beware of ….
If you go in a bar, beware of ….

That's more headache, than a relaxing holiday.

It is empirically proven that bad news be told 7-9 times, while good news only 2-3 times.
The negative experiences that tourists are then tell at home among friends and acquaintances should not be underestimated as a result.

As long as the problems are not really eliminated here, Thailand will continue to lose in the sector:
- well educated quality tourist - , market shares to other countries.

Thailand was praised for a long time as an unproblematic travel destination,
which is now unfortunately no longer like that.

They have tried the "quality tourist" route before, and ended

up with Chinese .

regards Worgeordie

This is exactly the result.

The Chinese are not stupid.

Always travel in groups.

Have a guide.

A fully planned program.

All entrance fees are paid in advance.

The contact with the general population is limited to a minimum.

So no one can get lost, ripped off, beaten, be stabbed or cheated.

Thailand was praised for a long time as an unproblematic travel destination, which is now unfortunately no longer like that.

The tourists want a beautiful and safe holiday.

As long as this can not be guaranteed,

forget about the quality tourists.

The Chinese are still being ripped off at:-

Latex "factories" where they pay inflated prices for mattresses and pillows.

Fruit shops, where the only customers are Chinese tour buses.

Souvenir shops, same as the fruit shops.

In fact the only place I can think of where the Chinese go and don't get ripped off are 711's.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the current form of government also present a slight challenge to the all important image of the country...coffee1.gif

Sakthip Krairiksh conveniently forgot to mention blatant corruption which is rife within Thailand and they think the world does not know it? It will continue to be extended to the "lured" tourists. sad.png