Immigration / police visiting foreginers houses

i am not a immigration's officers licker but i can tell they are not rogues in Kapchoen office.... then maybe some applicants for the extensions are not well aware of what immigration officers can do or not in this case. what they usually do everywhere else in thailand is not to be taken in consideration because we all know that law can be enforced (or not) and this can be done in somany different ways from an office to the others...

i am not a immigration's officers licker but i can tell they are not rogues in Kapchoen office.... then maybe some applicants for the extensions are not well aware of what immigration officers can do or not in this case. what they usually do everywhere else in thailand is not to be taken in consideration because we all know that law can be enforced (or not) and this can be done in somany different ways from an office to the others...

I beg to differ. I was there with my girlfriend recently and the treatment we received was terrible. Our experience recently was no different to other visits.

They are 100% rogues and treat applicants very poorly indeed.

I always give and expect to receive respect from my fellow human beings regardless of whether I am in an immigration office or my local Big C.

Down here in Surat they can get confused between marriage and retirement extensions too. I think it is just a Thai problem understanding logic. But they are entitled to check that you live at the address. Sometimes they go way too far though, I had to jump through hoops to get my annual renewal. It even culminated in me and the Mrs having our mugshot taken together.

Sympathies with OP. I got upset too. But therein lies an error. If you can, never show irritation or be obstructive.

• Like 2

I agree but nothing to prevent you leaving for a holiday and not being there when immigration comes. A hotel is a hotel you can come and go and stay perfectly legal. So it would be useless for immigration to use a home visit to verify address. Home visits are used to verify marriage.

Agreed nothing. But if you've just applied for an extension and plan to go on holiday you should tell them so if they want to visit they can work around your holiday. If you don't tell them and they turn up the application will, as told to me by immigration, be cancelled and you'd have to re-apply or worse have to leave the country for a new visa. Hotel dwellers are not exempt.

If you are living in a hotel and are on a retirement extension you are still obliged to inform immigration of a change of address, if applicable. Whether you do or not is your choice, and after the extension has been approved it's highly unlikely, although possible, that you will ever get a visit.

Please read what I wrote. When immigration are doing home visits for marriage extensions they are also checking that you live there by getting neighbours to sign statements confirming. I know this for an absolute fact because they visited me.

There is no requirement to tell immigration if you plan on a holiday after getting a retirement extension nor is there any requirement for a home visit. There is no penalty if you don't inform immigration if you are going on a holiday.

You are confusing retirement and marriage extension as is one rogue immigration office or perhaps one rogue immigration officer.

Immigration is checking to see if you are married and living with your wife when you apply for a marriage extension. I realize you think it is unfair but they don't do home checks for a retirement extensions except for 1 tenth of one percent of the total retirement extensions applied for.

What percent of home visits are done for retirement extensions in Kap Cheong? It would be interesting to know. It would be interesting to hear an immigration officer from Thailand explain why.

Instead of acquiescing to an extra and unproductive requirement why don't you ask? If it was me I would. I'd pay a Thai lawyer to go to immigration and ask why if I lived in the area. Or I'd ask the lawyer on Thai Visa what to do.

However I don't think you get a retirement extension do you?

"There is no requirement to tell immigration if you plan on a holiday after getting a retirement extension"

No there isn't.

If you hand in the paperwork for a retirement extension that is approved there and then you do not have to tell them anything. Just enjoy your holiday.

If your application is under 30 day consideration and a home visit is possible then my advice is to tell the IO of your holiday dates. Because IF anyone gets a home visit and they are not at home they might have a problem based on a warning given to me by immigration.

"nor is there any requirement for a home visit."

Until now!

It seems that immigration might be starting on a campaign to do home visits for retirement extensions too.

"There is no penalty if you don't inform immigration if you are going on a holiday."

Correct, absolutely none that is being enforced.

"You are confusing retirement and marriage extension as is one rogue immigration office or perhaps one rogue immigration officer."

No I'm not.

• Like 1

I beg to differ. I was there with my girlfriend recently and the treatment we received was terrible. Our experience recently was no different to other visits.

I always give and expect to receive respect from my fellow human beings regardless of whether I am in an immigration office or my local Big C.

i am terribly sorry ticwaterfall but i frankly cannot believe you (and other posters)altough i've never been in the same case, i often went there (for tourist visa multiple entry)and was well welcomed ... the officers sometime joking , using humo and most importantly gave me sensible advices.. with smile and good mood
  • Like 1

i am terribly sorry ticwaterfall but i frankly cannot believe you (and other posters)altough i've never been in the same case, i often went there (for tourist visa multiple entry)and was well welcomed ... the officers sometime joking , using humo and most importantly gave me sensible advices.. with smile and good mood

Did they do a house visit for your retirement extension?

You are confused again. The funds don't have to be on deposit for 12 months or the length of the retirement extension.

I'm lost today too.

I have never said that the funds have to be on deposit for 12 months!

You are confused again. The funds don't have to be on deposit for 12 months or the length of the retirement extension.

I'm lost today too.

I have never said that the funds have to be on deposit for 12 months!

You wrote, "Once you figure out how they get around proving income/funds that they don't have when it is an unconditional requirement, maybe you can work out yourself how they could get caught out with a home visit." Why would you write that? Makes no sense unless you can explain it.

The retiree does not have to have funds in the bank after the extension is applied for as far as I know. Isn't the requirement two months before or three months before the extension is applied for? No requirement to affirm to immigration money in the bank every month after the application is there?

Anyway what is your interest? Do you get a yearly retirement extension like I do?

Edited by lostoday

Your experiences are exactly that. Your experiences! Somewhat difficult to understand your post.

As you will have noticed many others have had bad experiences at this office. I have been dealing with them for many years now.

• Like 1

Down here in Surat they can get confused between marriage and retirement extensions too. I think it is just a Thai problem understanding logic. But they are entitled to check that you live at the address. Sometimes they go way too far though, I had to jump through hoops to get my annual renewal. It even culminated in me and the Mrs having our mugshot taken together.

Sympathies with OP. I got upset too. But therein lies an error. If you can, never show irritation or be obstructive.

"never show irritation or be obstructive." : this kind of advice, newbiz same me can give too, opposite karma than some posters here, but i imagine those "aggressive" posters who are speaking loudly here maybe are the most suckers , cowards and cops/immigration officers lickers in the real life..

Your experiences are exactly that. Your experiences! Somewhat difficult to understand your post.

As you will have noticed many others have had bad experiences at this office. I have been dealing with them for many years now.

two belgian , two french and one dutch could confirm my opinion if they were Tvf members and able to speak english.... Edited by silverado

The purpose of home visits is to ensure your living where you report to live.

I know a number of guys who entered Thailand to meet a woman. Some married, some didn't but are still together.

The wives, girlfriends were on their Mothers Blue House book. When they got extensions, driving licences and Tabian Bans they all used the same address as on their partners Tabian Bans............the MIL.

Those who rented homes use the MIL address because they still use the ID of the wife, g/f for proof of address.

They're just to lazy to complete the documentation and running around to change address.

• Like 1

two belgian , two french and one dutch could confirm my opinion if they were Tvf members and able to speak english....

Edited by silverado, 5 minutes ago.

I am sure they could! However let us deal with the facts. Many posters on this thread have expressed dissatisfaction with the treatment received at Kap Choeng.smile.png

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Like 1

Here in Chiang Mai, Immigration came to our condo building, one of the largest in the city, with many foreigners -- western and Japanese and had a little visit with the office where they looked at the records on file. There are big signs in the lobby and elevator that new foreign residents are suppose to come to the condo office file a report. Duh -- that's so the Juristic Person Mgr can submit the TM 30 forms on behalf of the condo owners who have tenants. And also so that same person (and his staff) can will have a form on file with next-of-kin etc contact info for the many retirees who live in the building.

Anyway, tenants ignore the signs and some tenants (and owners) have taken to using AirB2B to sublet their units for short-term rentals (a worrying development for us long-term residents) Anyway conditions were ripe for a little visit by Immigration.

When Immigration came, they stayed in the office/lobby. They didn't go into people's rooms. Instead, security was sent up to retrieve people, with their passports, if it was found that the records in the office didn't agree with other records like utility usage in a unit. At no time was anyone asked about personal details like income, war medals, whether they gave their wife an allowance, etc.

Long-term residents like Hubby and me were not asked to come down to the office to meet with Immigration. We'd filled out the condo office's little form when we moved in years ago, so they'd filed the TM 30s and everything was OK with us.

But even those asked to meet with Immigration weren't subject to 2 hours of questioning and questioning about personal information that wasn't relevant to the issue at hand.

Had we been asked to talk to Immigration, we certainly wouldn't have allowed them into our condo unit. This is why there are "public areas" in the condo and we would have asked the Juristic Person Manager to witness the conversation. He's our version of the Puu Yai Baan.

• Like 1

I know a number of guys who entered Thailand to meet a woman. Some married, some didn't but are still together.

The wives, girlfriends were on their Mothers Blue House book. When they got extensions, driving licences and Tabian Bans they all used the same address as on their partners Tabian Bans............the MIL.

Those who rented homes use the MIL address because they still use the ID of the wife, g/f for proof of address.

They're just to lazy to complete the documentation and running around to change address.

Since the home visits are only done as a part of an extension based on marriage I don't know how you arrive at that conclusion?

• Like 1

"Someone providing false income of funds can easily be caught out with a home visit."

Please explain how a home visit will catch people that have made a false declaration of funds. Would love to know your answer to this question.

How about if the IO asks to see original documents of the paperwork submitted with the application.

I've never dealt with these agents directly, but I've known several guys that have, none of which have a pot to pee in and work illegally. Somehow they are able to get retirement extensions. Once you figure out how they get around proving income/funds that they don't have when it is an unconditional requirement, maybe you can work out yourself how they could get caught out with a home visit.

Now you are talking about agents?

Even if the documents were fraudulent are you suggesting immigration will during a home visit ask to verify the applicants income? My understanding of a home visit is that immigration are seeking to prove you are actually living where you say you are living.

They already have all the financial documents given to them at the initial application.

"Now you are talking about agents?"

No. I discussed agents when I started the conversation about fraudulent applications!

"Even if the documents were fraudulent are you suggesting immigration will during a home visit ask to verify the applicants income?"

I think I was saying before that if the purpose was to check for fraud it would be easy to catch people out that lodge fake documents during a home visit. As I'm not immigration I have no idea what they intend to do or check for. Only time will tell.

"My understanding of a home visit is that immigration are seeking to prove you are actually living where you say you are living."

Yes. In my experience that is part of the reason for a visit.

"They already have all the financial documents given to them at the initial application."

Only copies of documents are submitted up the line with the application. So it's very easy for an applicant, agent and IO to provide false copies of documents.

This is about Kap Choeng immigration office only.

They have gone off the rails and are giving those applying for an extension based upon retirement a under consideration stamp so they can check that they are truly living at the address they put on their application form.

There have been other topics and posts about this.

Correct, this happens every so often and has been posted on TV several times. Some posters are complaining.

I know a guy in the USA that was from Italy and married a girl from the USA. He was visited by immigration there to make sure their marriage was real, so not only

does Thailand check to make sure relationships are real.

Actually I'm glad to see immigration is doing their jobs. So many guys that stay in Thailand with questionable visas.

If A guy is abusing his wife, he should be thrown in jail and then deported. If you married a girl just to get a visa and then don't live with her or take care of her then you should

lose your visa. Hell is you use the girl to get a visa the least you can do is take care of her. As some other posters pointed out there are allot of scum hiding in Thailand. If immigration

really got tough on things and did their jobs allot of those guys would be gone. However if Thailand is going to get strict on issuing a visa and do a through check on the person

then they should also provide a visa for someone under 50 who is retired, but then check and make sure that person is really retired and not working. That would provide an option

for allot of guys that are doing visa runs and getting strict would clean out all the undesirables. For myself I have always been on Non-B for working so never had any issues, but

I know some guys that are wealthy under 50 and not working and have had to jump through all the hoops. I doubt this is change with immigration and they are actually going to start

to do their jobs and just think this is the normal Thai Knee jerk situation. Surin has changed allot over the years, when I first moved to Surin very few expats were ever seen, now the place

almost looks like BKK with all the expats running around.

• Like 1

This is about Kap Choeng immigration office only.

They have gone off the rails and are giving those applying for an extension based upon retirement a under consideration stamp so they can check that they are truly living at the address they put on their application form.

There have been other topics and posts about this.

Correct, this happens every so often and has been posted on TV several times. Some posters are complaining.

I know a guy in the USA that was from Italy and married a girl from the USA. He was visited by immigration there to make sure their marriage was real, so not only

does Thailand check to make sure relationships are real.

Actually I'm glad to see immigration is doing their jobs. So many guys that stay in Thailand with questionable visas.

If A guy is abusing his wife, he should be thrown in jail and then deported. If you married a girl just to get a visa and then don't live with her or take care of her then you should

lose your visa. Hell is you use the girl to get a visa the least you can do is take care of her. As some other posters pointed out there are allot of scum hiding in Thailand. If immigration

really got tough on things and did their jobs allot of those guys would be gone. However if Thailand is going to get strict on issuing a visa and do a through check on the person

then they should also provide a visa for someone under 50 who is retired, but then check and make sure that person is really retired and not working. That would provide an option

for allot of guys that are doing visa runs and getting strict would clean out all the undesirables. For myself I have always been on Non-B for working so never had any issues, but

I know some guys that are wealthy under 50 and not working and have had to jump through all the hoops. I doubt this is change with immigration and they are actually going to start

to do their jobs and just think this is the normal Thai Knee jerk situation. Surin has changed allot over the years, when I first moved to Surin very few expats were ever seen, now the place

almost looks like BKK with all the expats running around.

You did know this thread is not about marriage extensions? Just checking....

Since the home visits are only done as a part of an extension based on marriage I don't know how you arrive at that conclusion?

Home visits done as part of an extension based on marriage are done to check that the address is right and the relationship genuine. Fair game !

Home visits done as part of an extension based on retirement are done to check the address is right ? Fair game!

Home visits done as part of an extension based on retirement which turn out also to be a check on a relationship. Not fair game! it's not pertinent to the application at all and none of their business.

trouble is some immigration officers can't or won't understand that.

I

• Like 1

They are welcome to visit our house .........

I will ensure the cat, who does not like strangers is indoors. The sight of a stranger in the cats house turns an amiable moggie into an enraged bundle of fur, which spits, bites and claws! .

smile.png

Edited by nowretired

Whats it all about ? Exactly what you wrote, it seems they are having problems with local farangs for various reasons so increased due dilligence, they do have the right to do it and the extension was given

So it's like in this movie.

Preventing crime (wife bits up) before it happen isnt it.

As some else pointed out the crack down on Ed visa's didnt come about because of the legit students, it came about because of others who abused the ed visa system, to me this case is similar, it only takes one to mess things up for everyone else

Had them in my house 2 times two different years, must be because I live close to immigration (5km) and they want easy targets.

I can understand them checking once to see if we really live together, but if that checks out why the next year again. Looks more like a power trip from these guys. If your documents are in order these checks are quite invasive wife had to take a day of just for this. There are better ways to spend a free day.

Well, because if you got a Divorce in the mean time you would not have the right to live their under a Marriage Visa. I think the solution is to go for the Retirement Visa and not give them a reason to check. Or if under that age an Elite Card.

My wife talked me into a Marriage Visa this year and already I regret it. But now it is too late for me to go back to Retirement this year as my Visa is due and I only left 400,000 in the bank. I should have topped it up when I had the chance.

On my last ninety days and annual income verification at Korat immigration, they told me they will be visiting myself and gf at our home, I bought a house for cash and have a usufruct house in gfs name ( please no bs comments ) I asked why and they said a lot of farangs live in Pattaya and claim they live in Korat ie

Nakhon Ratchasima , myself couldn't give a shit, told them welcome to call any day, nothing to hide here, though I do feel they maybe better employed directing their energies somewhere else.

On my last ninety days and annual income verification at Korat immigration, they told me they will be visiting myself and gf at our home, I bought a house for cash and have a usufruct house in gfs name ( please no bs comments ) I asked why and they said a lot of farangs live in Pattaya and claim they live in Korat ie

Nakhon Ratchasima , myself couldn't give a shit, told them welcome to call any day, nothing to hide here, though I do feel they maybe better employed directing their energies somewhere else.

""On my last ninety days and annual income verification" ?

Is this some new procedure or did you mean something else ?

Have you ever noticed that confrontational people seem to have more confrontations in their lives?

I have.

Have you ever noticed that those feckless and pusillanimous types who roll over at the first sign of conflict with some numpty in a uniform seem to also be the same types who end up getting fleeced in business by con-men, rooked in relationships by con-women and generally losing out in life to anyone with a semblance of a backbone?

I have.

Please refer me to the law, rule or guidance that states home visits only apply to foreigners who are married.

There are already at least two reports in this topic of visits to those on extensions based on retirement.

Immigration can visit whoever they want, whenever they want.

I reached the conclusion that some are just to lazy to notify a new address because there is no other reason, unless you don't have the funds and don't want to be found. I know both types.

Edited by Faz

I have never heard of an annual income verification. What is the name of the extension you are applying for?

Please refer me to the law, rule or guidance that states home visits only apply to foreigners who are married.

There are already at least two reports in this topic of visits to those on extensions based on retirement.

I reached the conclusion that some are just to lazy to notify a new address because there is no other reason, unless you don't have the funds and don't want to be found. I know both types.

Home visits reported on Thai Visa 999 for marriage extension 3 reported for retirement extension. Why would a home visit disclose a person not having funds? Are funds necessary after you apply for an extension? It has been stated numerous times on this thread that only one office requires home visits for anything other than a marriage extension Kap Choeng.

No Farang living in Thailand reports every time they leave home so Immigration visiting retired people in Thailand would serve no purpose because they don't have to tell immigration every time they leave home.

I don't know you are trying to push an agenda that home visits are part of the normal retirement extension process because they are not.

• Like 1

I have never heard of an annual income verification. What is the name of the extension you are applying for?

According to your previous postings, you've been teaching in Thailand for some years and stayed in a few hotels.

You thought TM28 and TM30 forms were a wind up, now you have never heard of verification of annual proof of funds/income for extensions based on retirement or marriage.

cheesy.gif You've got to be trolling or flaming!

• Like 1

Home visits reported on Thai Visa 999 for marriage extension 3 reported for retirement extension. Why would a home visit disclose a person not having funds? Are funds necessary after you apply for an extension? It has been stated numerous times on this thread that only one office requires home visits for anything other than a marriage extension Kap Choeng.

No Farang living in Thailand reports every time they leave home so Immigration visiting retired people in Thailand would serve no purpose because they don't have to tell immigration every time they leave home.

I don't know you are trying to push an agenda that home visits are part of the normal retirement extension process because they are not.

Are you really so naïve?