Anton's in Nakluea

Spaniel

Observations living in the Naklua area here over 10 years...the building of shops on the corner of 2nd Rd & north Naklua Rd (near the Dolphin Circle) where KISS Restaurant is located is a complete piece of junk and lacks the volume of pedestrians to support businesses on that side of north Naklua street. Rushing traffic acts as a deterrent to keep people away from that parcel of land (just as the endless traffic on 2nd road acts as wall to discourage people crossing 2nd Rd to visit the shops at the Avenue shopping complex). The owner of this particular building (where Kiss restaurant is located) charges too much for rent. He would rather have empty shops than rent out shop space at a more reasonable fee where a full building of businesses would support each other to attract customers than an isolated few shop sitting next to a couple unoccupied shops. (Could be Thai-Chinese thinking of conducting good business?) Then the row of temporary night market tent stalls (5pm-11pm) along the 2nd Rd (which would be rented by the building owner) keeps customers from seeing the shops facing 2nd Road. Next, if Kiss Restaurant is moving its location to where Antons German restaurant was, I can almost bet that it is because of the rent being raised at its present location; for currently Kiss Restaurant attracts many short term tourists and retirees. Its new location will not be in the crossroads of 2nd Rd and North Pattaya Street but in the middle of Naklua Rd which has already has a couple good locally run Thai restaurants for the budget eater and then you have Coffee Club, Bon Cafe, and a couple higher end restaurants. The volume of customers will not be the same. This whole area of Naklua has changed in the past ten years- not as full of retired Germans and Brits and more competition.

Cannot help but think the proposed new location is going to be a flop,too far away from where his previous restaurant was,parking will be an issue there as well,no regular tuk-tuks going down soi27,too far to walk too on a hot night from Naklua Rd Closer to Pothisarn Rd,with all the restaurants on that corner too for competition

As for the German clientele,yes they set good standards but hear more and more leaving for Cambodia

Observations living in the Naklua area here over 10 years...the building of shops on the corner of 2nd Rd & north Naklua Rd (near the Dolphin Circle) where KISS Restaurant is located is a complete piece of junk and lacks the volume of pedestrians to support businesses on that side of north Naklua street. Rushing traffic acts as a deterrent to keep people away from that parcel of land (just as the endless traffic on 2nd road acts as wall to discourage people crossing 2nd Rd to visit the shops at the Avenue shopping complex). The owner of this particular building (where Kiss restaurant is located) charges too much for rent. He would rather have empty shops than rent out shop space at a more reasonable fee where a full building of businesses would support each other to attract customers than an isolated few shop sitting next to a couple unoccupied shops. (Could be Thai-Chinese thinking of conducting good business?) Then the row of temporary night market tent stalls (5pm-11pm) along the 2nd Rd (which would be rented by the building owner) keeps customers from seeing the shops facing 2nd Road. Next, if Kiss Restaurant is moving its location to where Antons German restaurant was, I can almost bet that it is because of the rent being raised at its present location; for currently Kiss Restaurant attracts many short term tourists and retirees. Its new location will not be in the crossroads of 2nd Rd and North Pattaya Street but in the middle of Naklua Rd which has already has a couple good locally run Thai restaurants for the budget eater and then you have Coffee Club, Bon Cafe, and a couple higher end restaurants. The volume of customers will not be the same. This whole area of Naklua has changed in the past ten years- not as full of retired Germans and Brits and more competition.

Nice, informative post but what does it have to do with my question concerning Anton's?

I have heard that Kiss Food group (owner of the place) will open a branch at the former "Anton" location as they will close/shut down the one at the dolphin roundabout

Forgot about that. Yes that was stated by a reliable source in a German forum.

Nice, informative post but what does it have to do with my question concerning Anton's?

-- if you read the whole message, it related to Antons about the rising cost of rent and how the clientele has changed.

I've only eaten various breakfast items at Anton's. I find them to be as good as any other farang resto in the Pattaya area. My favourite is the (menu item No. 15) home fries mixed with fried bacon bits and bacon omelette. Bacon overload but potatoes and egg dish are extremely tasty. My only problem is the indifferent service. Though it has improved since I've become a semi-regular.

I called a couple of days ago and was told it would re-open in a week, so that would put it about Aug. 27, but don't count on that.

I ate there Wednesday. It's way smaller than the old place, which probably means the owner's rent is a fraction of the big place.

A number of small things were still under construction and it was a bit noisy. It should be a nice place when finished. My guess is by next week. But it is down soi 27 quite a distance, about halfway to the Third Road extension, north of North Road.

A friend had a beer at the new Anton's yesterday. He said the owner will not be having the buffet at the new place.

Sorry to hear the buffet will be not be offered. It was a good selection for the price. I'll also miss the "homey" feel to the old place and the perches overlooking the street.

• 3 months later...

Meanwhile, 3 months later . . . Twice I went to Anton's this week and both times was a sign out saying Open at 15:00. Bit of a shock when arriving late morning.

Well today a shutter was up and the owner inside. He came out and told me they will NOT be open in the mornings now. Having a hard time with staff, he said. Didn't ask details but a common problem everywhere in Thailand. The usual two girls (not exactly superstars) who worked before on Naklua and then followed the move to Soi 27 have disappeared. I noticed the last few weeks there'd been a real jumble of different and new staff. One time I think the owner's GF/wife (?) was serving.

Going to miss my home fries and bacon scramble.