Powerful bomb explode near Rajprasong intersection wounding 20 people

webfact

Wakened up earlier than intended and now trying to get to grips with this terrible news.

BBC's Jonathan Head reported that an unnamed govt official said early on that tourism had been targeted and the studio anchor has quoted the defence minister as saying foreigners were the intended targets.

I'd like to think the spokespeople have some idea what they're talking about rather than the usual obligation to say something, anything. It's not a sign of inefficiency to say something like ' wait until more is known ' but unfortunately that's not the usual style.

I don't understand them. It was a shrine for the local Buddhists/Hindu. If they really wanted to hit tourists then khao San Rd/Rambutri would have been the #1area. This would have caused an exodus and utter chaos amongst tourists. Again, god help the affected.

On any given day, there are more tourists from China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore, and Japan than there are locals. This shrine is extremely popular with Buddhist devotees from Asian countries, its one of the top places to go while visiting Bangkok. This shrine is known to make prayers come true hence the popularity. Chinese being the top tourist by numbers, this could have a dramatic impact. Not only that, it is at the heart of shopping district. So if they were targeting tourists, this would have been the perfect spot to make the most impact with regards to Chinese tourist.

RIP to the deceased and hope they catch the coward.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today at 10:20 the British newspaper the Telegraph reported that 127 people were injured and 27 dead. Further, the Telegraph detailed the explosive as being TNT, and left behind by someone caught on security cameras and described as "Arab-looking". Conversely, the Nation reported a Thai official as saying that "the bomb type did not match those used by southern insurgents" (paraphrased), yet the insurgents have a history of using TNT, petrol, LPG cylinder devices, and modified artillery shells (and other ordnance) to create explosions.

In any event, extremists at any end of the political spectrum are intrinsically nucking futs, no matter their nationality. Someone is definitely not having their happiness returned.

The whole thing makes me feel sick, literally.

sick.gif

I am not going to speculate on who did this. RIP for those that lost their lives and my thoughts that go to those that have been hurt. I hope the scum bags that did this will be caught and put to justice.

I have read now so many posts about what the possible motive could be here on TV, but only one makes sense. Someone posted something about a guy who destroyed the Brahma statue of that shrine in 2006 and got killed by people who happened to be around... Why does nobody look into that??? There might be friends and family who are out for revenge. That crazy guy got killed at night, so did the bystanders in this bombing. Why wasn'[t it broad daylight, and why not a more frequented area if the bad guys want to hurt Thailand, tourism, the PM or whatever?

I have read now so many posts about what the possible motive could be here on TV, but only one makes sense. Someone posted something about a guy who destroyed the Brahma statue of that shrine in 2006 and got killed by people who happened to be around... Why does nobody look into that??? There might be friends and family who are out for revenge. That crazy guy got killed at night, so did the bystanders in this bombing. Why wasn'[t it broad daylight, and why not a more frequented area if the bad guys want to hurt Thailand, tourism, the PM or whatever?

Not possible he was a homeless guy

Quote ""Today there is a suspect who appeared on CCTV but it's not clear... we are looking for this guy," he said, adding the suspect was believed to be from an "anti-government group based in Thailand's northeast" -- the heartland of the kingdom's anti-coup Red Shirt movement. "

Quote ""Today there is a suspect who appeared on CCTV but it's not clear... we are looking for this guy," he said, adding the suspect was believed to be from an "anti-government group based in Thailand's northeast" -- the heartland of the kingdom's anti-coup Red Shirt movement. "

No need to speculate we all know who did it and that goes for all those hardcore TV backers trying to avoid it and blame others

Thai PM says authorities hunting Bangkok blast 'suspect' seen on CCTV

www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-pm-says-authorities/2057664.html?

Cheap talk.

Put the bloody photo from the CCTV on TV and have millions of eyes looking for the suspect. So obvious it hurts to even have to think about. The clueless always seem to be in power.

Cheap talk.

Put the bloody photo from the CCTV on TV and have millions of eyes looking for the suspect. So obvious it hurts to even have to think about. The clueless always seem to be in power.

I've seen evidence but I don't dare post it as it points to that one person

Edited by yuv06

Everyone putting their uninformed 2 cents in on who did it. How about we just take a little time to show a little sympathy for those who have been victims of this horrific attack. Lets see what facts are revealed over the next few days. I think whoever did it was after as much carnage and as much media exposure as possible. It wasn't that long ago there was a bomb nearby in Siam in an electrical transformer box that has similarities except it did not result in this level of carnage. It could have easily though. Thai family have contacted my wife to say this one was a female suicide bomber. All sorts of rumours out there but few facts as yet.

Cheap talk.

And risk having people who appear like him being beaten to death by locals, like the last guy who damaged that shrine? rolleyes.gif

Great idea that mate.

Cheap talk.

Then shut up - what's the point????

When they find the woman who placed that shopping bag @ the shrine, and they will.....

They should use pipes and blow torches until everyone is given up.....

That is if she's still alive!

RIP to those innocent people..

A true tragedy!

The extend of this explosion is much bigger than what could be caused by a bomb in a shopping bag. Most of the explosives used in the southern terrorists attacks are home made and not commercial or military grade, for that reason you need much bigger quantities to cause damage on this scale.

Try to reverse the thought process. There is no indication that this was homemade explosive, there is no link to the South (at this time?).

There is no reason not to assume that it wasn't C4 or another commercial/military grade used.

But, whatever, whoever carried out the attack was looking at maximum collateral damage to put their message across.

My heart goes out to the families of both the dead and to those of the critically wounded.

No need to speculate we all know who did it and that goes for all those hardcore TV backers trying to avoid it and blame others

False flag army operation?

Not saying that I agree with you, but it's certainly a strong possibility.

coffee1.gif

That or the Uighers, innit.

When they find the woman who placed that shopping bag @ the shrine, and they will.....

A true tragedy!

The extend of this explosion is much bigger than what could be caused by a bomb in a shopping bag. Most of the explosives used in the southern terrorists attacks are home made and not commercial or military grade, for that reason you need much bigger quantities to cause damage on this scale.

Try to reverse the thought process. There is no indication that this was homemade explosive, there is no link to the South (at this time?).

There is no reason not to assume that it wasn't C4 or another commercial/military grade used.

But, whatever, whoever carried out the attack was looking at maximum collateral damage to put their message across.

My heart goes out to the families of both the dead and to those of the critically wounded.

If one would be out for maximum collateral damage, he/she would certainly have used another location such as Khao San Road and done it in broad daylight. The shrine is the key and the key is religious and/or personal.

Cheap talk.

Then shut up - what's the point????

Sorry to hurt those who back the terrorist

CSI LA is showing a photo of a man with a backpack and seen leaving the scene without it. What is not clear though is whether the 'after' photo is from before or after the bomb blast. Pure speculation of course, but nevertheless interesting..

Just check CSI LA facebook's page

A true tragedy!

If one would be out for maximum collateral damage, he/she would certainly have used another location such as Khao San Road and done it in broad daylight. The shrine is the key and the key is religious and/or personal.

That is not the point the place they chose is symbolic as it is downtown central Bangkok

This has muslim extremist written all over it.

If they have brought the bombing from Pattani to Bangkok, then Thailand is in big trouble.

The Muslim situation is a worldwide problem and MUST be illuminated immediately for the sake of mankind.

Stupidest comment ever

1. The Muslim problems have been going on for decades

2. They have no cells in Bangkok

3. They would lose their foreign sponsors

4. They would receive massive backlash by the government which the world community would agree to

5. The Southern problem is more complex than you think

6. The last bombing of Bangkok was done by no other than the Red Shirts which were caught

Edited by yuv06

If they have brought the bombing from Pattani to Bangkok, then Thailand is in big trouble.

The Muslim situation is a worldwide problem and MUST be illuminated immediately for the sake of mankind.

Stupidest comment ever

4. They would receive massive backlash by the government which the world community would agree to

One bomb in Bangkok is worth 1000 in the south.

They would loose foreign sponsors ? who is been stupid now?

Stupidest comment ever

One bomb in Bangkok is worth 1000 in the south.

They would loose foreign sponsors ? who is been stupid now?

Do you think they never received training??? Another thing I know is their signature is similar to Indonesia but I'm not implying it is Indonesia

Of course, it's written all over it! You are propagating it's 'Illumination'...lol.