Surin, Supachai 'not approached for new Cabinet'

webfact

CABINET RESHUFFLE
Surin, Supachai 'not approached for new Cabinet'

THE NATION

30266793-01_big.jpg?1439848872952
Surin

BANGKOK: -- TWO high-profile figures - former Asean secretary-general Dr Surin Pitsuwan and ex-World Trade Organisation chief Supachai Panitchakpakdi - have denied reports that Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha asked them to join his Cabinet.

There had been speculation that Prayut wants Surin to replace General Tanasak Patimapragorn as foreign minister in the Cabinet shake-up.

"There has been wild and intense speculation about this. It's logical speculation but there has been no official approach," Surin told The Nation yesterday, noting that similar rumours surfaced prior to the formation of Prayut's first Cabinet last year.

People close to Surin explained that the former foreign minister is more comfortable "helping" the country in an informal capacity.

"He has been explaining to the international community the current situation in Thailand, pointing out the need for Thailand to have a stabilising period before it can find a new balance," a source said, adding that Surin can speak with more weight - being an "outsider" than if he was part of the government.

After ending his term as Asean chief in 2013, Surin has been busy with international speaking tours.

He also heads a Democrat Party think-tank.

A source close to Supachai told The Nation that contrary to press reports, the former WTO boss had not been approached - and even if Supachai was offered a post, it was unlikely he would accept, as he was committed to international engagements.

Meanwhile, Deputy Prime Minister MR Pridiyathorn Devakula said he had not received any signals about the Cabinet reshuffle as Prayut handled all the decisions. There were reports Prayut would inform ministers about the reshuffle before their Cabinet meeting today.

"You'd better ask the person who is responsible for the decisions," he told reporters.

"I'm never aware [of the rumours] and I'm not interested. I'm focused only on my job."

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Surin-Supachai-not-approached-for-new-Cabinet-30266793.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-18