Koh Tao murder trial reconvenes in Koh Samui

webfact

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Thailand, members of the public have walked out of the trial of two men accused of murdering Hemsby woman Hannah Witheridge over claims a witness was lying in the dock.

The court's heard from the translator who was used while police interviewed the supsects.

But there was angry reaction when he couldn't understand questions or give coherant answers.

Hannah - who was a student at Essex University - and her friend David Miller were found dead on a beach on the Island of Koh Tao last September.

http://www.heart.co.uk/eastanglia/news/local/heart-east-anglia-scribble-live/#6wxZ0vcw7uZab1LI.97

Hats off to Heart for their coverage of the trial. Unbelievable that the UK papers seem to be ignoring this trial or is it that the journalists are a bunch of limp-wristed cowards.

Well this latest translator episode just takes the biscuit.

My gawwwd, what a bunch of morons investigating this case. The perfect case, from the same script as Scotland Yard eh?

Perhaps now is as good a time as any to go find the real culprits.

Well this latest translator episode just takes the biscuit.

My gawwwd, what a bunch of morons investigating this case. The perfect case, from the same script as Scotland Yard eh?

Perhaps now is as good a time as any to go find the real culprits.

Over 2000 Burmese on Koh Tao, I'm sure they could have found a few translators there, instead the RTP rope in a Rohingya Burmese Roti seller from Koh Samui who cant speak the B2's dialect, can't read or write Thai yet signs the statements!

In Thailand, members of the public have walked out of the trial of two men accused of murdering Hemsby woman Hannah Witheridge over claims a witness was lying in the dock.

The court's heard from the translator who was used while police interviewed the supsects.

But there was angry reaction when he couldn't understand questions or give coherant answers.

Hannah - who was a student at Essex University - and her friend David Miller were found dead on a beach on the Island of Koh Tao last September.

http://www.heart.co.uk/eastanglia/news/local/heart-east-anglia-scribble-live/#6wxZ0vcw7uZab1LI.97

Would be interesting to know who these 'members of the public' who walked out of the trial were in light of previous reports when the trial began which said journalists had been asked to leave because there was not enough room in the court.

Thai murder trial: Translators were pancake sellers

16:39 20 August 201

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/thai_murder_trial_translators_were_pancake_sellers_1_4202853

The last sentence in that link intrigues me.

Tomorrow the court will be shown a video of the confessions?

Perhaps it is not the initial confessions as that wasnt recorded i believe. Maybe its the 'show' confessions for the media.

It seems the Witheridge and Miller families were wise in their decision to not attend the trial this week in light of what has happened in court so far. No doubt their grief would only be exacerbated in hearing a solicitor testify to the admission of guilt of the two Burmese men when it appears that the solicitor was not present for the admission. How much worse can this get. Hopefully the families will be present when the defence takes the stand and some truth is shed on their devastating losses.

Eh, is that right? He wasnt there when they confessed?

I thought his evidence was that they told him they did it.

I've missed something, or some posts. Can someone enlighten me?

Just because someone stands up in court and makes a statement does not mean it is factual

Imagine this so called witness never actually met the B2 - prove to me I am wrong, show me pictures news reports recordings of him being there with dates and times and I might start to believe, for now this is the first time this man has appeared or been mentioned as far as I know, sounds to me like he has been handed a script to read

Huh? I was asking a question and relaying what I thought had happened.

I was not trying to make a statement of fact he was there.

and I was simply answering your question - nothing more and no malice intended

This case is about how the prosecution introduce evidence and witness statements and whether you believe it to be true or fabricated, having some experience in this field I have learned to be methodical in my approach, over the years the justice system in the west has developed to ensure everyone that is accused gets a fair hearing, there are various rules and procedures that must be followed to ensure the integrity of evidence and that it can be verified, it is also a general understanding by most people that when police in the west investigate a serious crime they are in fact doing their utmost to find the actual perpetrators and bring them before a court

If police in the west arrest someone for a serious crime and then withhold evidence that would prove their innocence or call the case into question, for example cctv footage, they would be in serious trouble, all evidence must be available to the defense and must be verifiable, if the police went through hours of cctv footage to make their case then all of that must be made available to the defense team.

The initial suspects in this case should have had their dna tested and officially recorded to rule them out as POI's, cctv footage should not have been withheld from police by certain establishments and people, AC bar was implicated early on with reports of an altercation involving one of the victims, the police should have got a warrant and immediately searched and seized anything of interest and experts brought in to manage the screening and sampling of every employee including dna, blood is extremely difficult to remove and will leave residue under fingernails etc for a considerable time, but of course the original investigator was suddenly removed and transferred effectively halting that line of enquiry.

I have my own personal opinion of whether the B2 are guilty or even capable of such an evil deed, I have seen nothing so far that would convince me either way from this trial

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/thai_murder_trial_translators_were_pancake_sellers_1_4202853

Perhaps it is not the initial confessions as that wasnt recorded i believe. Maybe its the 'show' confessions for the media.

Same thoughts here. Maybe it's a video of them signing the confessions. At the end of the day, what weight can any video of the confessions possibly bring to this unbelievable fiasco of a trial? I wonder what the real perpetrators of the crime are doing and thinking as the prosecution sinks further down the sewers. Can't be easy for them, knowing they may not get away with their evil doings.

He said he signed a statement confirming what happened when the man was interrogated despite not knowing what it said.

Sounds like a Mr. McGoo plot that was rejected for being too unbelievable. (Mr. McGoo was a cartoon character from long ago who was near totally blind detective who constantly mis-identified clues).

Tomorrow the court is expected to be shown video evidence of the confessions by the two suspects.

First we've heard that anything at the 'Safe House' was recorded by any means; video, audio, or transcripts. It won't be surprising if tomorrow's evidence carries as much credence as the never-before-heard-of lawyer who popped up yesterday, with warped testimony.

Yes he can speak Thai of course , I am more surprised he can't speak Burmese , must be a dialect issue then . .

Is Burmese a language like Mandarin or is it more generally akin to Chinese? As far as I know, there's no such thing as a Chinese language due to the many different dialects.

Having watched the video of the two guys walking past CCTV i am positively sure that no three men, or even two men on earth could walk like that, notice how the arms are thrown forward and to the side, seemingly to pull the person forward. This video should make someone of importance sit up and take notice ! facepalm.gif

The real facts will now be revealed day after day and speculation is read by page length will show their true nature: Gossip
Sherlock lounge obsessed with criticism of the kingdom also will appear for what they really are: (censored ...)
After that, justice can take its course serenely rid of these braggarts.
For my part, I note their nickname to put their nose in it when they resume their infamous reviews in next threads

clap2.gifcheesy.gif Well done Stealth! Thanks for that first bit of real news from the trial today. The prosecutions hole just gets deeper and deeper with this motley crew of idiotscheesy.gifclap2.gif

A translator who cannot speak or read Thai and cannot understand the B2 dialect. Well that takes the biscuit. I'll revise my opinion that this trial is a Thai soap drama to a Thai soap comedy. You know, the ones where there's a lot of shouting by men and women dressed in funny clothes, and doing stupid things that has the audience in hysterics.

Correction

The translator cant read or write thai, so I take it that he can speak thai

Looking forward to finding that out when he gets on the witness stand,

Having watched the video of the two guys walking past CCTV i am positively sure that no three men, or even two men on earth could walk like that, notice how the arms are thrown forward and to the side, seemingly to pull the person forward. This video should make someone of importance sit up and take notice ! facepalm.gif

someone of importance ? who ?

one of those ??? : "police have deployed more officers on the island with eight officers from the Crime Suppression Division and Pol Maj Gen Suwat Chaengyodsook of the Metropolitan Police Bureau dispatched to join about 150 others on the Koh Taoinvestigation."

anyway , now on trial the aim is not to identify somebody from this vid... only clear the b2 wink.png

The real facts will now be revealed day after day and speculation is read by page length will show their true nature: Gossip
Sherlock lounge obsessed with criticism of the kingdom also will appear for what they really are: (censored ...)
After that, justice can take its course serenely rid of these braggarts.
For my part, I note their nickname to put their nose in it when they resume their infamous reviews in next threads

More water with it, maybe?

one of those ??? : "police have deployed more officers on the island with eight officers from the Crime Suppression Division and Pol Maj Gen Suwat Chaengyodsook of the Metropolitan Police Bureau dispatched to join about 150 others on the Koh Taoinvestigation."

anyway , now on trial the aim is not to identify somebody from this vid... only clear the b2 wink.png

To be perfectly honest, i would love to see the real culprit caught, although i am convinced that i have a very good idea who that is.

To be perfectly honest, i would love to see the real culprit caught, although i am convinced that i have a very good idea who that is.

So you think that the only people of importance here are the high ranking police officers, you know, the ones with the big shovels who keep digging that massive hole.

Ernie, Nong Khai, Thailand, 1 day ago

Everybody on Koh Tao knows who did these murders, and it wasn't the two Burmese lads.

Above is one of the comments from yesterday's Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3201859/Burmese-men-charged-murdering-British-backpackers-DNA-taken-court-Thai-police-sergeant-took-original-samples-admits-d-previously-taken-swabs-training.html

Same thoughts here. Maybe it's a video of them signing the confessions. At the end of the day, what weight can any video of the confessions possibly bring to this unbelievable fiasco of a trial? I wonder what the real perpetrators of the crime are doing and thinking as the prosecution sinks further down the sewers. Can't be easy for them, knowing they may not get away with their evil doings.

Will probably a grainy CCTV film of Nomsod and his old man pretending to be the Burmese.

I would put nothing beyond these low lives

http://news.sky.com/story/1539151/koh-tao-murder-suspect-had-injuries-on-body

By Sarah Yuen, Sky News

One of the men accused of murdering two British tourists in Thailand had injuries on his body following his police interrogation and confession, a trial has heard.

Burmese immigrant workers Zaw Lin and Wei Phyo, both aged 22, are accused of killing Hannah Witheridge and David Miller on the island of Koh Tao last September.

A fellow prisoner who shared a cell with Lin claimed he saw a wound on his chest and bruising when the suspect was first admitted to a Thai jail.

The Burmese national, known as Kringkrai, spent three months living with the pair in prison.

Mr Kringkrai said he heard Lin complain of pain and asked to see a doctor.

accused-1-589x442.jpg

Zaw Lin ® and fellow defendant Wei Phyo

None of us know who committed this terrible crime. And despite their height or appearance that doesn't exclude them from the crime.

However if we base this only on the evidence submitted so far its heavily weighted to an acquittal. And this is before the defence take control of the case.

Then watch the sparks fly. These guys are on the ball. UN crime scene investigator. UK forensic evidence that will counter the prosecutions theory.

If they are cleared I want to know what justice is going to be served out for David and Hannah though... I will not hold my breath though.

Off-topic, baiting, bickering posts and replies removed.

Please stay on the topic of the thread. That means addressing the issues presented in the post, not in making comments to or about other posters. Doing so is off-topic and your post will be removed and you could face a suspension. Digging through other member's posts and bringing them up on the forum can be considered stalking and it is against the forum rules.

You have every right to express your opinion about the topic. You may disagree, but it must be done in a civil manner.

Ernie, Nong Khai, Thailand, 1 day ago

Everybody on Koh Tao knows who did these murders, and it wasn't the two Burmese lads.

Above is one of the comments from yesterday's Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3201859/Burmese-men-charged-murdering-British-backpackers-DNA-taken-court-Thai-police-sergeant-took-original-samples-admits-d-previously-taken-swabs-training.html

Judging from the comments there, the consensus of opinion in the UK about this case would seem to be that these two Burmese lads didn't do it.

I feel like this could really take-off in the British media after the trial.

Archived