Koh Tao murder trial reconvenes in Koh Samui

webfact

If I was tortured into a confession I would sure make parts of it totally illogical. Would even sign a name with wrong spelling, and left handed just as a bit more evidence it was a false confession

Ha, ha, that makes me laugh. Best today. I suggest if you were being tortured you'd sign anything, divulge anything, to stop the torture. Unless, you're a trained SAS, and can compartmentalise your mind to think rationally under extreme duress.

Anyway, here in the real world, a Thai confession (a guilty plea) brings about a reduced sentence (in most cases). Life without parole, instead of possibly a death sentence, and the prospect of getting released at a future point. Or a commuting of the death sentence to life imprisonment by Royal pardon.

As it stands, parts of the actual confession are totally illogical to any reasonable person, e.g. I hit the male on the back of the head with a hoe. And then he jumped up to fight me...

I agree

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 men could be in jail for life and may be put to death and this is all you post about?

Wow, a real big 'incident'. How this is an incident is beyond me.

The incident is played up in the hope that it will inhibit donations to the defense funds, especially the one administered by Andy Hall.

And we already know theres 3 or 4 posters who take every opportunity available to them to discredit the defense or Andy Hall.

I would like to see them listed so that i can 'be on my toes' when i read what they have to say.

If stating the facts, unsettles you then, maybe its a reflection on your character.

From my reading of the case, personally I feel they are guilty. Lets wait and see how the Court rules. Then tell me they got the wrong men.

Unfortunately, in this case justice must be seen to be done. I hope the two Burmese have the best legal team they can afford, it will be an interestingBetter

Better put your glasses on next time or pay a visit to Specsaver.

If stating the facts, unsettles you then, maybe its a reflection on your character.

From my reading of the case, personally I feel they are guilty. Lets wait and see how the Court rules. Then tell me they got the wrong men.

Unfortunately, in this case justice must be seen to be done. I hope the two Burmese have the best legal team they can afford, it will be an interestingBetter

don't feed the (new) troll crazy.gif , oldsailor... it likes it post-4641-1156694005.gif

It seems the Witheridge and Miller families were wise in their decision to not attend the trial this week in light of what has happened in court so far. No doubt their grief would only be exacerbated in hearing a solicitor testify to the admission of guilt of the two Burmese men when it appears that the solicitor was not present for the admission. How much worse can this get. Hopefully the families will be present when the defence takes the stand and some truth is shed on their devastating losses.

don't feed the (new) troll crazy.gif , oldsailor... it likes it post-4641-1156694005.gif

Yeah I'd be interested in hearing why Ninja believes the B2 are guilty. Just two or three examples of how they appear guilty. I have a feeling everything he describes will be evidence that is already beyond being in question.

All of the incriminating evidence has been lost/fabricated/destroyed and I'm not sure anyone will ever face justice.

CRIMINAL PROCEDURE IN THAILAND *

Judgment and Orders [The Criminal Procedure Code Section 182]After the trial is over, a judgement or order shall be given in accordance with the merits of the case. A judgement or order shall be read in open Court either on the day the trial is over or within three days from such date. If there are reasonable grounds, the Court may postpone the reading to a later date, but the grounds for the postponement shall be written down in the memorandum.

[The Criminal Procedure Code Section 192]No judgement or order shall be pronounced for anything in excess of, or not included in, the charge. If the Court is of the opinion that the facts as they appeared in the trial differ from the facts as stated in the charge, the Court shall dismiss the case, unless such differences are not the essential elements, the Court may inflict punishment on the accused upon the facts as found in the trial.

* http://www.unafei.or.jp/english/pages/RMS/No92_10PA_Sudti-Autasilp.pdf

It seems the Witheridge and Miller families were wise in their decision to not attend the trial this week in light of what has happened in court so far. No doubt their grief would only be exacerbated in hearing a solicitor testify to the admission of guilt of the two Burmese men when it appears that the solicitor was not present for the admission. How much worse can this get. Hopefully the families will be present when the defence takes the stand and some truth is shed on their devastating losses.

Eh, is that right? He wasnt there when they confessed?

I thought his evidence was that they told him they did it.

I've missed something, or some posts. Can someone enlighten me?

The Polee had previously stated they had confessed without a solicitor and because they didn't ask for one the Poleee didn't tell them they are entitled to one. Now the Polee says there was one present.

Amazing Thailand.

And further

They said they had confessed to Mr Roti Seller and they had not been present when they made the confession. The roti seller came out from the safe house and said they had admitted it.

Safe House my Backside......... What they mean is a torture chamber away from the prying eyes of the press who couldn't hear the screams. Last thing they needed down the Cop Shop. 2 Young men crying and balling as they beat them.

As for why the doc couldn't tell the court how his rib cage was damaged well why would he? unless he had been present. The fact he admits there was damage is sufficient to prove they had been injured. It reinforces their claims of torture.

There was no attorney present for the initial "interrogation" of the B2 because the police didn't inform them of the ability to have a lawyer. After the "confession" to police there were many more claimed "confessions" to different sources. So the lawyer who said the B2 confessed to them wasn't there at their first interview. As far as I know RTP don't sapeak the Burmese lingo, so heard it from their trusty roti interpreter.

That's my take, anyhow.

The Polee had previously stated they had confessed without a solicitor and because they didn't ask for one the Poleee didn't tell them they are entitled to one. Now the Polee says there was one present.

Amazing Thailand.

And further

They said they had confessed to Mr Roti Seller and they had not been present when they made the confession. The roti seller came out from the safe house and said they had admitted it.

Safe House my Backside......... What they mean is a torture chamber away from the prying eyes of the press who couldn't hear the screams. Last thing they needed down the Cop Shop. 2 Young men crying and balling as they beat them.

As for why the doc couldn't tell the court how his rib cage was damaged well why would he? unless he had been present. The fact he admits there was damage is sufficient to prove they had been injured. It reinforces their claims of torture.

One wonders, lawyers and doctors who looked at the B2 after the crime wouldn't be curious how they got their injuries, I mean, they see this all the time and do their best to solve cases, No?

Now then, how can someone who examined the B2 within 2 weeks of a murder not want to find out exactly how those wounds came about. Wounds on the face and wrist you say, eh Doc? Well consistent with being tied up and smacked around.... Or scratches and bruises from a fight? Or rape and murder... So what they're saying basically is the doctor didn't give a toss OR.... He is incompetent OR He can't say freely what he thinks.

I'll take can't speak freely.

I think my brain might melt if they don't throw the case out.... I just can't get my head around this case proceeding after so much obviously conflicting evidence and facts. It's something people don't believe when you tell them, and after they see the horrible fact that it's a true story they are shocked..

This is the Justice system here, after this case we will know what to expect, or rather not expect.

I, for one, am waiting for the armchair detectives that managed, from a blurry, black and white CCTV footage to determine precisely who was that person, what did he do, how did he do it and what actions he took afterwards to apply their superhuman skills to solve the bombings.

For starters, you're the only one using the word 'precisely.' Yet, if you've followed the case from the get-go, you'll know that the initial RTP team, headed by Panya, was sure that it was Nomsod shown in the CCTV video. On the basis of that (and probably other evidence) he announced that they knew who did the crime and they were now searching for the man shown in the video, believed to be hiding in Bangkok. ...and arrests were imminent.

So, according to AleG's name-calling, Pol General Panya and his entire team were armchair detectives, ....who got it all wrong - when the crime trail was fresh.

Incidentally, hundreds of thousands of keen observers of this case still think it's Nomsod shown in those 'Running Man' CCTV footages. A soggy 20-second alibi plead by his lawyer isn't going to change what people see. Read 'The Emperor's New Clothes' (by Hans Christian Andersen) - to get an idea of how ordinary people can form opinions independent of what authority dictates. Thais and farang know the RTP is lying in this case. The difference is, farang are more likely to speak out loudly - when they see justice being perverted.

What a surprise. Seems like without a proper chain of custody - the DNA evidence is inadmissible. And I thought that, under Thai law, any confession obtained by RTP during an investigation is also inadmissible.

What is also disappointing is that the outcome of day 2 has yet to be disclosed by anyone. What happened to the Roti seller? Did he give evidence? Andy Hall is keeping quiet on this.

I believe he gave evidence yesterday and I saw a vague reference to a wine bottle from a Thai (RTP on KT) commenter on Andy Hall's facebook page. Yesterday's court session was attended by Heidi Anna who appears to be assisting the mothers of the accused, but she is not saying much either. Very strange.

Amazing Thailand.

And further

Ahh got it. So police want it both ways. Lawyer was not present, unless you are talking about the admission then yes he was present. But not really, ask tomorrow for different story.

Just because someone stands up in court and makes a statement does not mean it is factual

Imagine this so called witness never actually met the B2 - prove to me I am wrong, show me pictures news reports recordings of him being there with dates and times and I might start to believe, for now this is the first time this man has appeared or been mentioned as far as I know, sounds to me like he has been handed a script to read

so B2 were drunk on the beach, they grabed the hoe, snook up on Two people on the beach and whacked David over the head all in the dark then proceeded to the rest - then rode off on a mortorbike (no cctv footage) and fell soundly asleep...really ?

still not saying inocent or guilty but I still haven't heard anything reliable to convince me either way

This crime was carried out by a particular type of evil depraved power ridden rotten type of person who is used to violence rape and murder and doesn't give it a second thought

How is it that we don't get any information of the trial any more?

Pressure on people who used to report?

Threats? Intimidation? Gagging orders? Defamation lawsuits? Your guess is as good as mine.

This seems to be a very loud silence

AFAIK court sessions have to be public in democracy.

And the police is responsible that this is made sure. (oh my it is the RTP)

But is not the government responsible for their police?

Hopefully the public of the democratic world will learn about this after the farce is over

clap2.gifcheesy.gif Well done Stealth! Thanks for that first bit of real news from the trial today. The prosecutions hole just gets deeper and deeper with this motley crew of idiotscheesy.gifclap2.gif

A translator who cannot speak or read Thai and cannot understand the B2 dialect. Well that takes the biscuit. I'll revise my opinion that this trial is a Thai soap drama to a Thai soap comedy. You know, the ones where there's a lot of shouting by men and women dressed in funny clothes, and doing stupid things that has the audience in hysterics.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif Well done Stealth! Thanks for that first bit of real news from the trial today. The prosecutions hole just gets deeper and deeper with this motley crew of idiotscheesy.gifclap2.gif

A translator who cannot speak or read Thai and cannot understand the B2 dialect. Well that takes the biscuit. I'll revise my opinion that this trial is a Thai soap drama to a Thai soap comedy. You know, the ones where there's a lot of shouting by men and women dressed in funny clothes, and doing stupid things that has the audience in hysterics.

Correction

The translator cant read or write thai, so I take it that he can speak thai

In Thailand, members of the public have walked out of the trial of two men accused of murdering Hemsby woman Hannah Witheridge over claims a witness was lying in the dock.

The court's heard from the translator who was used while police interviewed the supsects.

But there was angry reaction when he couldn't understand questions or give coherant answers.

Hannah - who was a student at Essex University - and her friend David Miller were found dead on a beach on the Island of Koh Tao last September.

http://www.heart.co.uk/eastanglia/news/local/heart-east-anglia-scribble-live/#6wxZ0vcw7uZab1LI.97

Just because someone stands up in court and makes a statement does not mean it is factual

Imagine this so called witness never actually met the B2 - prove to me I am wrong, show me pictures news reports recordings of him being there with dates and times and I might start to believe, for now this is the first time this man has appeared or been mentioned as far as I know, sounds to me like he has been handed a script to read

Huh? I was asking a question and relaying what I thought had happened.

I was not trying to make a statement of fact he was there.

Correction

The translator cant read or write thai, so I take it that he can speak thai

...but can't speak/understand the B2's dialect.

Archived