Australia urges its citizens to continue travels to Thailand despite of the deadly bombing

webfact

Australia urges its citizens to continue travels to Thailand despite of the deadly bombing

19-8-2558-11-11-56-wpcf_728x407.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In an unprecedented move that is seen to differ from its strongest US ally, Australia urges its citizens to continue their trips to Thailand as other allies advising caution.

The Australian reported that Prime Minister Tony Abbott instead urged Australians to resist being “cowed or intimidated” from visiting Thailand, warning the deadly bombing in Bangkok only strengthens the national resolve to combat terrorism.

Speaking in parliament yesterday, the Australian prime minister said the bombing that killed at least 21 people was an “attack on innocent people going about their daily lives”.

“Australians should continue to go to Thailand because the object of the sorts of people who let off bombs in crowded cities is to scare us from being ourselves and we should never be cowed or intimidated by that,” Mr Abbott said.

“Nevertheless, Australians overseas should remain vigilant. They should monitor the Smartraveller website and they should exercise an appropriate degree of caution.

“Attacks such as this only strengthen the resolve of government and the people of Australia, the people and the parliament of Australia, to do whatever we can to counter extremism and to combat terrorism.”

The prime minister was also joined by his Opposition leader Bill Shorten in condemning the “act of murder aimed at the innocent”.

“At the very least, we know this is a crime of hatred, designed to provoke fear and as a nation, as a proud member of an international community, we say with one voice: it will not go unchallenged or unpunished, we will not change who we are because of this,” the Opposition Leader said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/australia-urges-its-citizens-to-continue-travels-to-thailand-despite-of-the-deadly-bombing

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-19

I'm curious where the source came up with the allegation that "In an unprecedented move that is seen to differ from its strongest US ally, Australia urges its citizens to continue their trips to Thailand as other allies advising caution."

The only travel advisory made by the US, was made shortly after the bombings, ie, stay away from Erawan shrine, stay away from Saphan Taksin pier.

In fact, the US travel advisory for Thailand is currently at level 2, while Australia's is the higher level 3.

Terrible reporting.

I certainly wont be going anywhere near Phuket ( not that i ever go there anyway). If it turns out muslims were responsible for the shrine bombing then they've taken terrorism to a new level.

Go after the foreign tourists and make it world news.

Killing people in the south is old news and barely gets mentioned in o/seas papers.

Isn't it a little premature, even a tad irresponsible, to make a statement like this so early in the crisis? Shouldn't the absolute, top priority be to find who is involved, or which organisation is involved etc.? Because once we have more solid information i.e. the person/group responsible, then we have a clearer understanding of their motives, objectives and modus operandi. In other words, we can then at the very least, speculate where the next target will be, or what sort of assets are in danger and are likely targets and which/where people should avoid. RIght now, we do not have any real information - who is he/are they, what they want, their motives and certainly we do not know if there will be another strike and if yes, when and where? Therefore, I feel it somewhat irresponsible to send people out into the unknown. I will certainly avoid crowded and touristy places for the time being. Yes, my lifestyle may be changed slightly and for the short term. Yes I am cowed and intimidated by the thought of being penetrated by hundreds of ball bearings.

Edited by outsider

...what an absolute idiot thing to say by the leader Abbot......"hey no worries cobber...keep going to good ol Thailand...even though a couple of bombs went off a day ago ...and shredded 22 people......you'll be ok...""

unbelievable....!!!!

This idiot is so embarrassing

The one thing favourable about this idiot saying what he did is that no one ever takes any notice of him. Julie Bishop, Minister for Foreign Affairs wouldn't be stupid enough to say such a thing.

Is Abbott gonna go with his own Family and visit Thailand as a private person ... I think not, too dangerous eehhh matey ... ?

These fat cats are so busy calling out for the people to stand against terrorism and go on with daily life as if nothing happend - same time the fat cats are hiding in their billionaire mansions with 50 security guards to protect them ...

Just goes to show that no single country has a monoply on politicans who have lost their connection to the real world that the rest of us have to navagate daily.

Forbes ranks the worlds wealthy by their assets, wonder if we could get a reliable group to rank the ploticians of the world by their assine comments and public display of stupidity? The latter list would out number the billioaires of the world for sure

...what an absolute idiot thing to say by the leader Abbot......"hey no worries cobber...keep going to good ol Thailand...even though a couple of bombs went off a day ago ...and shredded 22 people......you'll be ok...""

unbelievable....!!!!

If he could he would send most of Aussies directly to most dangerous places....

He just hate own citizens .

Just look what are they doing to this falling country last 10 years.

No wander even hardest Aussies start to call own country "gestapo country"