New Fortuner v Isuzu SUV

fang37

Isuzu is offering a B50k discount ending this month.

Toyota - not one dealer will entertain a discount.

BKK or Tokyo decree.

Cash deal - no trade.

I prefer the Isuzu - superior diesel engine.

I would prefer manual transmission BUT now outdated.

Which do you prefer?

Why?

I am not technical in this matter.

Pickups - Isuzu has a loyal following.

Songtaews - 95+% are Isuzu in CNX.

Toyota outsell Isuzu based on corporate sales. Isuzu do deals for songteow drivers - neither are an indicator of engine quality smile.png

If you are comparing to the newly released Fortuner there's simply no comparison - the MU-X is a literal dinosaur. Suggest you go for a test drive in them both - that should settle your mind and make the decision a bit easier smile.png

While you're out visiting car dealerships, stop by a Mitsubishi dealer and test drive the new Pajero Sport - which is the clear value for money leader, then stop by a Ford dealer and drive the Everest - but be warned, you might up your budget once you've had a taste :) Skip the Chev dealers though - unless you want a MU-X with a tractor engine :P

Edited by IMHO

"Dinosaur" - apt term.

Test drive - I have a broken leg - a tad difficult.

I think the term "dinosaur" persuades me sufficiently. Moreover, the other 3 members of the family can make my life difficult.

I’d go fr the Isuzu except for lack of CC. The toyota is a better choice with exception to the fold up back seats that get in the way. The Mitsu looks good on paper however not yet availible for test drive. Ford has after sales issues (as evident) and depreciates faster..

In 2012 I needed a SUV for two kids, two parents and occasionally grandparents and large dogs.

I test drove most SUVs available in CM and the Isuzu was the clear winner for style and room.

I have never had even a single moments problem - I drive a mix of highway and country roads, about 4 hours a day.

Perhaps the Fortuner has better ratings longterm - I don't know but at the moment my Isuzu Mu 7 works flawlessly.

The new Everest is gorgeous inside, and according to early reports handles much better than the precious behemoth.

Haven't checked out the Pajero, but will soon.

Fortuner looks better than the Revo truck, but the interior lacks any consistent design and they have lost a lot of the advantage they were purported to have when the previous gen reigned supreme.

MU-X is rather stylish, although perhaps the most dated (slightly) of the chassis.

If you are going to drive something everyday, you want the one that makes you feel most satisfied. An extra 50-100k 5 years down the line in resale is not something I would be concerned with.

In summary, the SUV market is very competitive.

As mentioned in another post, B50-100k over 5 years = nuffin'

The Thai family control the show. If I do not comply, life is hell.

So, I comply. I am but an ATM?

The Fortuner, given the above, is a stand out special. Whatever they want is perfect!

Must go, I have ironing & general house duties to perform.

Where is my favourite apron?

I agree with most of what fang and katipo say and here's my 2 satangs extra valued opinion...

New Fortuner drives like car and has many awesome features but the dashboard is a dogs breakfast. That plus lack of color choice on top model puts us off ... Perhaps they'll fix next year. Toyota always best for service and resale.

Currently a DMax owner we tested to MU-X as it looks superb and although nice enough to drive I simply could not get comfortable ... Steering wheel too far forward and doest extend like say Fortuner. Centre armrest too far back, elbow slips off.

Everest weve seen already, is awesome but all sold before they even arrive in CM so no chance for a test drive.

New pajerosport looking good and will be on display at Central airport soon, test drive hardly necessary as ride will be a tax harsh but 8 speed transmission should make it more economical.

whats the latest with Isuzu's 2.5L twin turbo diesel engine?, the 3L VGS going to be binned with the new taxation class coming next year?.

The latest is, the next update will actually feature a 2.0L twin turbo...

Hate the bloody things. Who needs a tank on CM roads? Oh, don't tell me - the less well endowed...

These things have the same basic footprint and turning circle of a Civic - lol @ tank :)

Who buys them? hrmmm - people with friends? people who get out of the city from time to time? :P

Hate the bloody things. Who needs a tank on CM roads? Oh, don't tell me - the less well endowed...

Well as I will be owning a Fortuner shortly you had me really worried. Went for a quick dash to the toilet to have a look and you are definitely wrong I still have a big one. Maybe look at yourself first with narrow minded thoughts.

Well as I will be owning a Fortuner shortly you had me really worried. Went for a quick dash to the toilet to have a look and you are definitely wrong I still have a big one. Maybe look at yourself first with narrow minded thoughts.

Me thinks thst this could could go off topic for a while ....

For design, engineering and true off-road ability the new Everest will be the winner in my view - and I also think it looks the best and is the most comfortable to sit in (though I've not driven one yet).

But if it was my money I'd probably get the Fortuna. It's nearly as good as the Ford and it has better resale value and after sales service. Boring and cautious decision I know - but it's not a small amount of money.

"a big one" - NOSE? A..E?

For design, engineering and true off-road ability the new Everest will be the winner in my view - and I also think it looks the best and is the most comfortable to sit in (though I've not driven one yet).

The Pajero Sport probably has the softest seats of them all, which some people may prefer. If you just quickly sat in all these SUV's (without driving them), it's the one you'd likely come away from it giving the PJS top marks to for comfort.

But, I can say this: don't judge comfort by sitting in these in a mall display - drive them, then decide.

Edited by IMHO

Go with the Toyota - they have 10 times the engineering budget as Isuzu and more service centers. On a global basis. Toyota is huge compared to Isuzu.

Had a Toyota Vigo pick-up for 8 years. It was great and very reliable. Bought a top-of-the-line Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2, 4x4. It goes, handles and stops much better than the Vigo did, but of course it's 8 years younger. Admit that there aren't as many Ford dealers as Toyota, but Ford are adding new dealers at a good rate. My wife drives a Ford Fiesta. Neither of us have had a problems with service. Don't care much about resale value as my in-laws stand in line to buy our used trucks. So I love our Fords, but would recommend Toyota in your case,.

Go with the Toyota - they have 10 times the engineering budget as Isuzu and more service centers. On a global basis. Toyota is huge compared to Isuzu.

Had a Toyota Vigo pick-up for 8 years. It was great and very reliable. Bought a top-of-the-line Ford Ranger Wildtrak 3.2, 4x4. It goes, handles and stops much better than the Vigo did, but of course it's 8 years younger. Admit that there aren't as many Ford dealers as Toyota, but Ford are adding new dealers at a good rate. My wife drives a Ford Fiesta. Neither of us have had a problems with service. Don't care much about resale value as my in-laws stand in line to buy our used trucks. So I love our Fords, but would recommend Toyota in your case,.

If they've got so much budget, why can't they hire a good designer?

555 :P

As being a new model and in high demand I do not like your chances of getting a discount for the first 6 months unless the Toyota branch is struggling for sales. You can get discounts on the accessories and/or get some for free if you push hard enough.

As being a new model and in high demand I do not like your chances of getting a discount for the first 6 months unless the Toyota branch is struggling for sales. You can get discounts on the accessories and/or get some for free if you push hard enough.

Right, supply and demand. Even if a sales rep wanted to give you a discount now, their sales manager would probably give them an official reprimand over it. The next oppty for doing a deal will be October/November - because 1) That's when the other major competitor starts delivering (PJS), and 2) it's just a few weeks before the Bangkok International Motor Show, which many people will hold off buying decisions for, ergo, sales will drop.

Edited by IMHO