Supercar parking

These carparks are paid for by car importers, and used as a USP / special privilege of buying from them..While they're signed just "supercar parking" you have to have bought your car from the right dealership/importer (and have the appropriate sticker on your windshield) in order to use them.

These carparks are paid for by car importers, and used as a USP / special privilege of buying from them..While they're signed just "supercar parking" you have to have bought your car from the right dealership/importer (and have the appropriate sticker on your windshield) in order to use them.

They are a bit liberal then because I parked there about a month ago, and I definitely wasn't driving a supercar.

We have them also at Central Festival Phuket.

But they are not related or bought by the importer.

They let you park there if the park attended thinks that you are driving a super car. 555

I would not like to park there as they are the front row of the parking space and many people are passing those cars with their shopping trolley.

Nothing against nice cars; I've owned a a couple of 'supercars', but just thought this car space thing reeked of nouveau riche, but Emporium is just that, Greyhound cafe etc

I guess some people like to feel extra superior. i.e. if you've got it flaunt it attitude

Edited by fish fingers

I wonder from which dealer this guy bought his super car.

post-222439-0-10747700-1440084723_thumb.

Emporium is hardly nouveau riche, it is a 10 year old mall and it is showing its age.

And that materialism is hardly new. Conspicuous consumption was insane prior to the baht crash, afterwards the wealthy toned it down for a while.

i think its pretty funny and, you will note, the space is empty.

Nothing against nice cars; I've owned a a couple of 'supercars', but just thought this car space thing reeked of nouveau riche, but Emporium is just that, Greyhound cafe etc

I guess some people like to feel extra superior. i.e. if you've got it flaunt it attitude

And if you don't start a jealous post...

And if you don't start a jealous post...

I'm too boho to be jealous :) Quite happy with what I have

Just making a cultural observation and miss the old days before thai girls became textaholic white face zombies

Actually, the reason for it is pretty clear from a shopping mall perspective; the area with the supercars encourages the bigger spending people to be parked in one area with more security and wider carparks; it means (for Paragon and Central Rama 9) that some of the very low sports cars can ensure when they visit that there is somewhere to park (some supercars have a clearance problem); it serves as a mall marketing/advertising benefit (the number of tourists who come and take pics of the cars is sometimes quite a few) while also making sure that jealous 'haters' who might key, dent or damage a nice car are less likely to do so. Since someone spending 10+m on a car is often more willing to spend a bit more cash in the mall, the supercar parking means a quicker time to park and thus more time in the mall. Having had a car keyed before for zero reason, the idea of having access an area to park it where this is less likely would be more appealing for me; hasn't got anything to do with flaunting and everything to do with convenience and security, there is a big difference between driving into Paragon and parking in 2 min....and spending 40 min looking for a park.

Pretty basic marketing really, and the guards have a good relationship with frequent visitors; they know them by name, are more friendly etc.

The usual approach from most of the malls is to lock down who can park there to be specific brands, and each is a little different, but generally, supercar in Thai security guard training includes: Lamborghini; Ferrari; Lotus; Porsche; Maserati; Aston Martin; Bentley; Rolls Royce; McLaren - usually excludes Lexus, BMW, Benz for the most part but not always. Weird cars like a Ferrari Abarth, Alfa Romeo 4C etc might or might not get in, and likewise even though a Porsche Macaan really is a trumped up CRV, it might get in (equally it might not). In the case of Paragon, a number of these car brands are tenants also, so it helps to bring traffic to their stores and a simple tangible benefit.

It isn't the car owners asking for it, it is a response from the mall owners to welcome richer clients; exactly the same as a hotel who let's the nice fancy cars park out the front of the hotel (and sends the more average basic cars to the back parking lot). Like a club; the doorman lets you in to sit in the VIP area and jump the queue or not based on how you look and so forth; how good looking people get offered better seats and free drinks at a club or restaurant as 'eye candy' for everyone else.

attachicon.gifxfancycar.jpg.pagespeed.ic.cieIcJWmQv.jpg

I doubt that it matters as he paid 25 million baht for the registration number.

But not according to IMHO.

you have to have bought your car from the right dealership/importer (and have the appropriate sticker on your windshield) in order to use them.

I doubt Nissan is sponsoring the parking lot though, and by the way he paid ONLY 20 million for that plate.

attachicon.gifxfancycar.jpg.pagespeed.ic.cieIcJWmQv.jpg

I doubt that it matters as he paid 25 million baht for the registration number.

But not according to IMHO.

you have to have bought your car from the right dealership/importer (and have the appropriate sticker on your windshield) in order to use them.

I doubt Nissan is sponsoring the parking lot though, and by the way he paid ONLY 20 million for that plate.

25 million actually, by the way, but it's hardly really relevant.

They let you park there if the park attended thinks that you are driving a super car. 555

I would not like to park there as they are the front row of the parking space and many people are passing those cars with their shopping trolley.

I tried to park there once and as rejected by the park attendant because my car was not on his list. I saw a few BMW 3 series and Benz C-Class parked. My car (a Range Rover) was not a super car.

Out of curiosity I went to the Central Festival Information to ask what were the criteria and was told it has to do with the ground clearance of the car. When I laughed out loud, the lady got pisses and walked away.

At Central Embassy in Bangkok they immediately waved me into the Supar Car parking, no questions asked.

Edited by dominique355

I tried to park there once and as rejected by the park attendant because my car was not on his list. I saw a few BMW 3 series and Benz C-Class parked. My car (a Range Rover) was not a super car.

Out of curiosity I went to the Central Festival Information to ask what were the criteria and was told it has to do with the ground clearance of the car. When I laughed out loud, the lady got pisses and walked away.

At Central Embassy in Bangkok they immediately waved me into the Supar Car parking, no questions asked.

Now i have to admit that i agree that a Range Rover is indeed not a supercar.

But a BMW 3 Series and MB C Class are also far from a supercar.