Money stolen from Two Turks at Central Pattaya Hotel

webfact

Money stolen from Two Turks at Central Pattaya Hotel

turk-4.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- On Wednesday Night Police were called to a Hotel in Central Pattaya after two Turkish guests reported theft of money from their rooms.

The incident took place at the Arya Inn Hotel in Soi 11 off Pattaya Second Road and Police arrived and met with the two victims, Mr. Mustafa aged 63, who lost 900 Euros from his room safe, and Mr. Kenak aged 50 who lost 300 US Dollars from his room safe.

Both rooms were on the 3rd floor and there was no signs of forced entry and no signs of the safe boxes being forced open which suggests to Police that a member of staff or possibly a former member of staff with a set of room keys, conducted the theft of money.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/212446/money-stolen-from-two-turks-at-central-pattaya-hotel/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-08-21

but the safe in the picture looks like the digital combination type lock ???

Yes, but some designs have an over-ride code, or perhaps an over-ride key (behind the batteries) for those frequent occasions someone checks-out leaving them locked.

Hotels seem unable to keep these details on a limited need to know basis....... the manager doesn't like to be called out late at night.

Likely the hotel will claim safes are used at the guests own risk. How awful to have a holiday ruined by the theft of your spending money.

Yes, but some designs have an over-ride code, or perhaps an over-ride key (behind the batteries) for those frequent occasions someone checks-out leaving them locked.

Hotels seem unable to keep these details on a limited need to know basis....... the manager doesn't like to be called out late at night.

Likely the hotel will claim safes are used at the guests own risk. How awful to have a holiday ruined by the theft of your spending money.

hmmm ... the only way you could provide adequate security would be to have a safe with a latch & hole and a new ( still in original package ) combo lock is purchased at the reception ....

then they would probably bring bolt cutters !! w00t.gif

Unsafe safe.

Those chinese cheap combination hotel room locks don't cost more than about $75-100 and the quality is therafter.

They are totally crap and there are numerous ways to open them in just a few seconds.

One of the easiest and fastest is to give the box a fast hit from above with your palm. Another way is to reset the combination so you can choose your own and open the lock.

For you out there who want to see how worthless these locks are check out Youtube.

There are many videos showing different ways to open these kind of "safes".

All these safe types have a pass code not rocket science to figure out an inside job

The reset/override code is 0000

Think I'll stay at the Sheraton for now ...

hmmm ... the only way you could provide adequate security would be to have a safe with a latch & hole and a new ( still in original package ) combo lock is purchased at the reception ....

One hotel I stayed at I needed to get the safe open on check in.

It was a 2 man job to open it and one had to look the other way as the manager entered some code on a laptop.

Likely a better, more expensive model of safe than many of those around town.

I have a friend who also lost money from a safe and suspected someone had an override code or key.

It was a 2 man job to open it and one had to look the other way as the manager entered some code on a laptop.

I have a friend who also lost money from a safe and suspected someone had an override code or key.

so even if you keep your cash under the mattress , the maid gets it either way !!

so even if you keep your cash under the mattress , the maid gets it either way !!

I have to say though I have used hotel safes a large number of times in Thailand myself and I had a problem only once... and that was not a room safe but lock boxes behind reception... and I lost a few traveller's cheques (refunded). It seems to be a quite rare occurrence, but that is of little consolation to the guy who loses all his holiday cash.

There is no shortage of maids who steal, because police does very little to nothing at all.

And even if arrested, they get let go with minimal punishment.

There is no way for hotel or any other employer to check the background of staff or even get reference, because staff turnover is just crazy,

Saying that, it is also pretty much impossible for hotel to know if guests were really robbed by the staff or by the joiner or guests are lying.

From personal experience of owning the hotel, i have had the misfortune of employing thieves, usually catch them out within few hours.

One guest claimed to have been robbed 950 euro. My safes are digital keypad, no override code, only master key.

I am the only one with masterkeys and its always locked up.

We assumed maid must of had universal master key to open it.

Seeing as this was a problem i introduced managers safe.

I bought a huge 100kg safe, with combination and key needed to open it. Put up a sign, any guests were welcome to place their valuables in managers safe free of charge.

Guest who claimed to be robbed, wanted to use the service, so he brought down envelope full of money. I asked him how much was there, he responded 1900 euro.

Prior to accepting the money, i started to count it in front of him. After the count it turned out he had only 1280 euro.

So if i was to accept the envelope without counting, guest would be claiming i stole 600 euro .

Which raised the question, was he robbed in the first place?

All these safe types have a pass code not rocket science to figure out an inside job

Most of these safes have key entry.

Edited by tropo