ThaiBev consolidates all beers into Chang Classic to shake up market

webfact

I wouldn't drink Chang even if it wasn't loaded up with additives that give you a splitting headache (the "Chang-over") in the morning. They managed to sour the deal with their then-partner Carlsberg over 10 years ago, driving another decent-ish beer out of the country.

The "Export" version of Chang tastes totally different to the domestic version. I wonder why.?

Export was 100% malt beer. Classic is malt + rice.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't drink Chang even if it wasn't loaded up with additives that give you a splitting headache (the "Chang-over") in the morning. They managed to sour the deal with their then-partner Carlsberg over 10 years ago, driving another decent-ish beer out of the country.

The "Export" version of Chang tastes totally different to the domestic version. I wonder why.?

Probably "cleaner", too.

Edited by MESmith

Taste is subjective of course but Chang Export was the nearest I could find here to a decent beer.

Doubt this move is solely about market share and consolidation [which is no doubt company propaganda anyway] but includes pressure being applied to brewers to reduce [or more likely appear to be making an effort to reduce] alcohol consumption. As with so many areas [road traffic accidents et al] there appears to be a lack of understanding regarding the causes of alcoholism and the resilience of those who follow that path. Not selling alcohol within 300 metres [or the vicinity(?) of] universities/high schools/lower schools/infant schools/kindergartens/language schools - whatever] or on 'religious days' will not reduce the problem in any way shape or form. Those who wish to drink alcohol will always find a way and a source - not difficult in LOS and a lot more alcohol to the $ than any Chang product.

I'm one customer they've lost. Chang Export & Draught top beers in Thailand. Chang Classic - NO THANKS bah.gif

While I don't agree with eh best beer bit, I do agree that your mentined beers are way bettter than Classic.

"The new beer is in line with the company's strategy to deliver products that meet customer needs," By removing 3 of the 4 brews, <deleted> ? And using smaller bottles. ?

Thai logic.

It's a sad day for this long time drinker of Chang.

I can't say I like the "new" taste at all.

Not what beer do I turn to . . . . any ideas?

Beerlao, Tiger, Archa, Red Horse, Cheers Xtra

I have been drinking Chang beer for the last ten years. This new 5.5% is crap. I have tried most of the other beers available in Thailand and dislike all of them. What can one do ? Pick any one from random and drink it to you get to like it.

Exactly the feeling I have. After years and years of Chang

it is looking like a return to Singha until I am steered towards

an alternative. Hope something pops up soon.

Like that nasty American version of Budweiser I believe.

Business is booming but the biggest plant is running at 50% capacity.

Sound business planning. 50% capacity. "Let's cut the other brands out, focus on one, reduce strength, reduce bottle size, position it as a premium brand and go after a different market segment. That 50% "spare" capacity will come in useful when the market reacts to our great plan and new product and super cool new bottle and demand rockets". Good luck with that one.

Had a party a couple of weeks ago. All the Thais were drinking Heineken!

The original article states that Thaibev is consolidating ALL its beers into the new brand. If I read this correctly that would include Archa and Federbrau as well as the various Chang offshoots.

At a time when the rest of the world is increasing its beer choice greatly, with craft beers becoming extremely trendy, one of Thailand's major brewers does the exact opposite!

I can't see what all the fuss is about.

People should drink this piss out of brown paper bags.

It's only merit is that it's cheap, for people who worry about things like that.

Edited by Chicog

So the only full flavoured beer on the market has now been changed to taste like Heineken/Tiger/etc etc oh and had it's alcohol content reduced.. <deleted>.. Despite it's naysayers Chang really was the best beer for flavour.. There are enough lightweight wishy washy lagers available already.. Leave Chang alone !

It's a sad day for this long time drinker of Chang.

I can't say I like the "new" taste at all.

Not what beer do I turn to . . . . any ideas?

Beerlao, Tiger, Archa, Red Horse, Cheers Xtra

Nobody here knows about Huda bier ? 4,7 * only ;

But who drink here in SE Asia his bier without ice inside ? wai2.gif

The bier of Hue in Vietnam , Carlberg license .

Hu = Hue

Da = Danmark

http://www.carlsberggroup.com/brands/Pages/HudaBeer.aspx#.Vdbyupet5ts

I never was a fan of Chang anyway. Go to Germany or to an American micro-brew: those are beers. These light drafts from most major manufacturers is camel piss.

There is one and unique beer all over the world;

it's draught Guinness ;

all the other " like a beer " are like pipi de chat cheesy.gif

I'm not irish and I regret rolleyes.gif

I never was a fan of Chang anyway. Go to Germany or to an American micro-brew: those are beers. These light drafts from most major manufacturers is camel piss.

There is one and unique beer all over the world;

it's draught Guinness ;

all the other " like a beer " are like pipi de chat cheesy.gif

I'm not irish and I regret rolleyes.gif

I guess you never had a pint of Murphys or Beamish.