Renewal of retirement visa at jomtien

Others may have different experiences, but the retirement one-year extension (not a visa) is granted on being 50 years of age or older and based on an income of THB 65,000 per month or THB 800,000 per year or a combination of income and savings totally THB 800,000. Since there is no marriage requiremnt - I do not see why your marital status would be part of the process nor why your wife's (should you have one of any nationality) attendance would be required.

Edited by KED

Others may have different experiences, but the retirement one-year extension (not a visa) is granted on being 50 years of age or older and based on an income of THB 65,000 per month or THB 800,000 per year or a combination of income and savings totally THB 800,000. Since there is no marriage requiremnt - I do not see why your marital status would be part of the process nor why your wife's (should you have one of any nationality) attendance would be required.

If you are married to a Thai you only need 400,000 baht in the bank, and I believe the wife does have to accompany you.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Off topic posts and replies have been removed, the topic is about Jomtien immigration which is in Pattaya.

Maybe this topic needs to be moved to the Pattaya Forum for local input but I will leave this to the Visa mods to decide wai.gif

If you are married to a Thai you only need 400,000 baht in the bank, and I believe the wife does have to accompany you.

That would be for an extension of stay based on marriage. The O/P asked about an extension of stay based on retirement. Not the same thing. Not the same requirements.

I've done 11 or 12 retirement extensions. The only one I had any trouble with was when I took my wife. Less you provide the less they ask for. I give them the minimum and keep the rest in my briefcase and let them ask for them. Normally I'm in and out in less than 20 minutes. It is a simple process and in my experience wives and agencies only serve to complicate it. wai2.gif

Edit to add I've done 3 at Jomtien.

We in Chiang Mai can only dream about being in and out in 20 minutes under the new system here. Your lucky.

I've done 11 or 12 retirement extensions. The only one I had any trouble with was when I took my wife. Less you provide the less they ask for. I give them the minimum and keep the rest in my briefcase and let them ask for them. Normally I'm in and out in less than 20 minutes. It is a simple process and in my experience wives and agencies only serve to complicate it. wai2.gif

Edit to add I've done 3 at Jomtien.

We in Chiang Mai can only dream about being in and out in 20 minutes under the new system here. Your lucky.

That was one of the reasons I moved from CM to Pattaya. Imm in Pattaya is much better in my opinion.

• Like 1

I've gotten 10 retirement visas, last 7 years in Jomtien. They seem to want to throw up obstacles. Proof of residence they weren't happy with my account receipt (condo pays water & electric, deducts from account) as proof of residence. There are 8 or 9 previous retirement visas already stamped in my passport. They required to bring in my blue book. Heaven help anyone who tries to get first time retirement visa. Reports are they want you to use an agency, so throw up all sorts of roadblocks and diversions....

I've gotten 10 retirement visas, last 7 years in Jomtien. They seem to want to throw up obstacles. Proof of residence they weren't happy with my account receipt (condo pays water & electric, deducts from account) as proof of residence. There are 8 or 9 previous retirement visas already stamped in my passport. They required to bring in my blue book. Heaven help anyone who tries to get first time retirement visa. Reports are they want you to use an agency, so throw up all sorts of roadblocks and diversions....

Are you sure? I never had any problems with a monthly rental contract. I think the agencies start a lot of the stuff just to scare people into using an agency. I didn't think they did first time retirement visas; only extensions. Am I wrong?

Not a retirement extension based on marriage then yes take the wife in fact take mine I wish, retiree no wife.

You reminded me of the fella at a dance saying to a lady...."I'm looking for a wife....you look like one".

The only time I've heard of needing to take the Thai wife when applying for a retirement extension in Jomtien was when the applicant was changing from an extension based on marriage to a retirement extension. Something about Immigrations wanting the wife to be aware of the change? And, ISTR at the time I read that that it wasn't a consistent policy even then -- others had changed from marriage to retirement extension without the wife being present.

Thanks for your answer.

I have read that immigration in Chantaburi requires the attendance of the thai wife.

I am wondering if Jomtien immigration requires or not

I have renewed my retirement extension at Jomtiem 6-7 times now and my marital status has not ever been mentioned.

I extended my permission to stay for the 11th time at Jomtien last week. My marital status wasn't questioned so I very much doubt that you would need to take your wife with you (I was married last month) unless perhaps you are applying for an extension based on marriage.

I forgot to take proof of my address but was my Thai driving licence was accepted as proof; As others have said, Jomtien Immigration is pretty efficient and I was in and out in less than 20 minutes though I did have to go back the following afternoon to collect my passport.

Alan

That would be for an extension of stay based on marriage. The O/P asked about an extension of stay based on retirement. Not the same thing. Not the same requirements.

Gotcha.

to qualify for a retirement visa you have to be over 50 years of age have an income of 65 thousand baht a month and 800 thousand baht in the bank . if you are married you need 400 thousand baht in the bank .

For a retirement extension (not a visa) it is 65k baht income or 800k baht in the bank or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k baht.

For marriage it is 400k baht in the bank or 40k baht income.

to qualify for a retirement visa you have to be over 50 years of age have an income of 65 thousand baht a month and 800 thousand baht in the bank . if you are married you need 400 thousand baht in the bank .

Inaccurate Information!

1. For an extension of stay based on retirement 800k in a Thai bank OR an income of 65k a month is required. It is also possible to combine income and money in the bank to reach the 800k

2. For an extension of stay based on marriage an income of 40k/month OR 400k in a Thai bank is required

Inaccurate Information!

1. For an extension of stay based on retirement 800k in a Thai bank OR an income of 65k a month is required. It is also possible to combine income and money in the bank to reach the 800k

2. For an extension of stay based on marriage an income of 40k/month OR 400k in a Thai bank is required

What is accurate then?

Inaccurate Information!

What is accurate then?

NOT the stuff posted by springheeled jack

Next time I will attempt to make my posts clearer coffee1.gif

Edited by nowretired

I live in the province of Surin and Kap Choeng is being a pain in the arse for retirement extensions. I also have a condo which is almost completed in Pratumnak. Sounds like Jomtien's going to get my vote next year.

• Like 1