Bangkok blast: Chinese tourists head to Thailand despite bombing fears

webfact

BANGKOK BLAST
Chinese tourists head to Thailand despite bombing fears

BANGKOK - Busloads of visitors from China flocked to Bangkok's glittering Grand Palace on Friday but, days after a bomb at another of the city's popular attractions killed five Chinese tourists, Thailand's biggest spending holidaymakers are rattled.

Monday’s attack on a Hindu shrine, particularly popular with Chinese devotees, did not prevent Jay Chou and his family from travelling to the kingdom, though it has left them on edge.

"We are closely following the news, we shouldn’t go to any place which is dangerous," said the 18-year-old engineering student from Shanghai outside the palace where an already heavy security presence was boosted in response to the bombing.

The attack on the shrine, apparently by a still-unidentified young man who placed a backpack with explosives under a bench, killed 20 people and injured more than 100 others.

Most of the victims were ethnic Chinese tourists from around Asia, with five of the dead from mainland China and two from Hong Kong.

While Thai authorities have yet to make an arrest or say which group was behind it, they have repeatedly said it was clearly aimed at damaging the tourism industry.

Though in the midst of confusing and sometimes contradictory information on the investigation, one message from authorities has been clear -- Chinese tourists were not the target.

For the country’s ruling generals, losing their biggest spending group of visitors is a hit the kingdom cannot afford as it struggles to revive a sclerotic economy.

Tourism accounts for around 10 percent of Thailand’s economy.

Chinese holidaymakers spend far more than any other group of visitor -- 190 billion baht ($5.3 billion) in the first half of this year, according to Thailand’s tourism authority.

This is more than five times the spending of Malaysians and Brits, the next two largest spenders.

And the number of Chinese visitors soared by 138 percent in the first six months of this year compared with the same period in 2014, when Bangkok was paralysed by often violent protests before May’s military coup.

Thailand is counting on a surge in Chinese visitors in October for the annual National Day holiday, a week-long break in China when hundreds of millions travel domestically and abroad.

- Mixed response -

==================

So soon after the attack in politically volatile Thailand, which before the coup experienced repeated outbreaks of deadly street violence in a decade-long power struggle, it is difficult to gauge the long-term impact of the blast on tourism.

At a hotel popular with Chinese tourists in Bangkok’s Chinatown, assistant manager Praparat Boonsai said some guests had been frightened away.

"We are worried because our customers are cancelling from China," she told AFP, saying that six checked out early after Monday’s blast and several had cancelled upcoming trips by phone.

Woranut Srisamboon, a spokesman for the Thai Chinese Tourist Association, said some tour groups had cancelled trips while holiday agents in China were constantly calling to check on security.

Woranut’s VLC Travel company, catering to mainland Chinese tourists, reported 20 groups of up to 40 people strong had pulled out since Monday.

But Woranut said the impact so far had been limited, putting it down to a "special relationship" between China and Thailand.

"Thailand and China are like brother and sister," he said with a smile, saying tourism authorities in both countries were in constant touch.

While Hong Kong warned its residents after the attack to avoid travelling to Bangkok, China’s national tourism body only cautioned its nationals to "be aware, pay attention to travel safety, and choose reasonable travel routes".

In Bangkok’s historic quarter on Friday, long lines of Chinese tourists followed tour guides, many dressed in identical hats and holding up umbrellas to block the midday sun.

Happily chattering in Mandarin, these groups of travellers had stuck to their long-planned holiday itineraries.

At the entrance of the sprawling palace compound, Chinese tourist Lily Chu said she had continued with her holiday plans despite being worried about safety.

The 33-year-old Buddhist even went to pray at the bombed shrine on Wednesday, believing it was important to pay respects to the dead.

"I prayed for people who died... (so they can) rest in peace," she said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Chinese-tourists-head-to-Thailand-despite-bombing--30267147.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-21

Of course the Chinese keep coming. Stay at home and be blown up by a explosion at a chemical manufacturing company wiping out a few square kms and face cyanide poisioning or risk a small fire cracker in Thailand.

To the Chinese, Thailand is much safer!

Of course the Chinese keep coming. Stay at home and be blown up by a explosion at a chemical manufacturing company wiping out a few square kms and face cyanide poisioning or risk a small fire cracker in Thailand.

This has got to be a top contender for the forum posts version of the Darwin Awards.

Almost like saying Americans will keep coming to Thailand or risk getting shot by fellow gun-armed citizens or trigger-happy cops at home.

Of course, if you were being sarcastic, then your nomination will be withdrawn. biggrin.png

This has got to be a top contender for the forum posts version of the Darwin Awards.

Almost like saying Americans will keep coming to Thailand or risk getting shot by fellow gun-armed citizens or trigger-happy cops at home.

Of course, if you were being sarcastic, then your nomination will be withdrawn. biggrin.png

Well, if you cant work it out from the absurd headline we will just applaud you accepting the honoured award.

By the way, you may want to research "Darwinism", especially "natural selection" as it doesnt consider variations from unpredictble random events except insofar as those who continually make better decisions are more likely to contribute to a genetic future.

I would then consider, given the choice between the two possible options, with the information you had available, did you make the right choice or did you in fact make any choice by the provisional backup of an opposed safe position.

Edited by Reigntax

"Chinese holidaymakers spend far more than any other group of visitor -- 190 billion baht ($5.3 billion) in the first half of this year, according to Thailand’s tourism authority.

This is more than five times the spending of Malaysians and Brits, the next two largest spenders.
And the number of Chinese visitors soared by 138 percent in the first six months of this year compared with the same period in 2014, when Bangkok was paralysed by often violent protests before May’s military coup.

Thailand is counting on a surge in Chinese visitors in October for the annual National Day holiday, a week-long break in China when hundreds of millions travel domestically and abroad."

And there's people on Thai Visa who are convinced that the Chinese tourists do more harm than good in Thailand. There's people who really do feel that a reduction in the number of Chinese tourists would benefit Thailand. I really wonder about people. There were ideas about how to reduce the flood of Chinese tourists entering Thailand. Ideas like, making it more difficult for Chinese to enter Thailand.
Well, we've had the explosion at Erawan, five mainland-Chinese died, and two from Hong Kong. Was it the case that those who want to see a reduction in the number of Chinese tourists did this attack ? How many Chinese tourists die from road accidents in Thailand ? How many in explosions ? It might have been an attack that was easy to carry out, whilst generating maximum coverage in the media.

I really do get sick to the back teeth with this sort of drivel.

Tourism only represents less than 10 % of this country's GDP so the revenue is really not the issue. The real issue is that there are literally thousands of Thai's marginalized by the general lack of economic opportunity afforded by their own government who have invested in the tourist industry as a way to make a living. A drop in tourism could seriously effect their livelihood and seriously effect the way they view their government. Its all about votes not Baht. Happiness for the people !

"Chinese holidaymakers spend far more than any other group of visitor -- 190 billion baht ($5.3 billion) in the first half of this year, according to Thailand’s tourism authority.

Thailand is counting on a surge in Chinese visitors in October for the annual National Day holiday, a week-long break in China when hundreds of millions travel domestically and abroad."

And there's people on Thai Visa who are convinced that the Chinese tourists do more harm than good in Thailand. There's people who really do feel that a reduction in the number of Chinese tourists would benefit Thailand. I really wonder about people. There were ideas about how to reduce the flood of Chinese tourists entering Thailand. Ideas like, making it more difficult for Chinese to enter Thailand.

Well, we've had the explosion at Erawan, five mainland-Chinese died, and two from Hong Kong. Was it the case that those who want to see a reduction in the number of Chinese tourists did this attack ? How many Chinese tourists die from road accidents in Thailand ? How many in explosions ? It might have been an attack that was easy to carry out, whilst generating maximum coverage in the media.

" ... according to TAT." .... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif nuff said ... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Where are the Chinese on the morbidity index? Maybe they want to do the elephant thingee

Edited by elgordo38

Well, I think the Chinese WERE the target, but nothing personal against them.

The rest of the world doesn't care too much about them. Whoever did it knows that if he killed 20 Americans or English, he would get into a whirlwind of trouble and people who know what they are doing would be looking for him.

" ... according to TAT." .... cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif nuff said ... clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Are you laughing at your own ignorance? Keep going. The Chinese have become the biggest spenders just about everywhere in Asia.

• <<<< Link to Bangkok Post removed: 26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum. >>>>

• Chinese revealed as biggest spenders on tax-free shopping ...
    www.traveldailynews.asia/.../chinese-revealed-as-biggest-spenders

Apr 11, 2014 · ... Thailand and Malaysia also ... Chinese revealed as biggest spenders on tax-free ... China is the top spending international globe ...

• Chinese visitors now the biggest spenders in S'pore - ANN
    www.asianewsnet.net/Chinese-visitors-now-the-biggest-spenders-in...

The China Post (Taiwan) ... (Thailand) The Star (Malaysia) ... Chinese visitors now the biggest spenders in S'pore. Melissa Lin and Janice Heng .

Edited by metisdead

i dont really see the problem with lots of chinese tourists.....unless you like going to shopping malls, floating markets, speedboats to koh larn, or all you can eat restaurants......oh, and maybe if you live in a condo-hotel with 500 a night staying there. otherwise i hardly see any of them.

Thats all they are bus loads and only clock the roads.... We all know they do not spend a dime

My associate is a Chinese business man.. He told me you have to kill us to get money.. We never give its ouir way

Thats all they are bus loads and only clock the roads.... We all know they do not spend a dime

My associate is a Chinese business man.. He told me you have to kill us to get money.. We never give its ouir way

And I know a German man, he loves to smirk at British people and say "Britain won the war, but Germany has won the peace, look at this European Union, look at the German tourists in Spain and Portugal, even a blind man knows that it is Germany that is the real power in Europe, it's not Britain".

He's German, and says that, does that make him correct ?

Might want to ease off the Darwinism type comments with that avatar...

Are you laughing at your own ignorance? Keep going. The Chinese have become the biggest spenders just about everywhere in Asia.

• <<<< Link to Bangkok Post removed: 26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum. >>>>

• Chinese revealed as biggest spenders on tax-free shopping ...
    www.traveldailynews.asia/.../chinese-revealed-as-biggest-spenders

Apr 11, 2014 · ... Thailand and Malaysia also ... Chinese revealed as biggest spenders on tax-free ... China is the top spending international globe ...

• Chinese visitors now the biggest spenders in S'pore - ANN
    www.asianewsnet.net/Chinese-visitors-now-the-biggest-spenders-in...

The China Post (Taiwan) ... (Thailand) The Star (Malaysia) ... Chinese visitors now the biggest spenders in S'pore. Melissa Lin and Janice Heng .

Yes cause nobody else is coming ... gigglem.gif Thailand will be the latest Chinese Province, maybe called Thaijing ... ?

I

I do not have any statistics to back up my next point, it is purely my view based upon talking to many people I know (may business owners) living here in Pattaya.

oops, pressed send too soon.

So, from what I see the dramatic fall in Russian tourists (and some EU tourists) has had a devastating effect on businesses in Pattaya. Business is very bad, make no mistake. One restaruant owner I know has said he has never seen t as bad as this is in his 12 years trading and I have heard these comments a lot. There are many closed restaurants, bars, shops with for rent signs increasing up and down the high streets.

For the Chinese tourists I do not hear of ANY benefit to independent businesses. It seems to me the Chinese tourists are taken by coach to hotel, ferried around as groups and taken back to airport by coach. They do not seem to wander around on their own much and explore. There are businesses now that are owned by Chinese and operated by Chinese and they seem to have an agreement with the tour operators... There is a Chinese restaurant on Pattaya Tai road that simply has coach after coach of Chinese diners bought to and from the hotel,,, also many coaches visit the new Chinese massage parlour on Theprassit road and of course hundreds of coaches drop off at King Power duty free shops. These are just a few I have noticed there are many more but I do not see these tourists benefitting the local businesses very much as all.

Lastly, I have also noticed that the coaches are not full nowadays so how many tourists are down YOY,,, I am betting a lot more then publicised.

Tour already booked...unable to cancel...

Wait until you see the cancellations next

Few months!!!

And of coarae one sense's a huge round of renegotations on the deals the chinese get. And of coarse the authoroties dont give a flying f bout the industries margins as long as overall it looks good

rijit