No Drivers Licence 3 Months Prison

OZEMADE

My wife informed me she read in the Thairath (not sure of the name) news that the Thai Government is putting before the next Parliament sitting, a new law that states, anyone who is found to be driving a motor vehicle and they do not legally hold a drivers licence, will be sentenced to 3 months imprisonment.

I presume this law would also be for Motor Bikes as well?

My wife informed me she read in the Thairath (not sure of the name) news that the Thai Government is putting before the next Parliament sitting, a new law that states, anyone who is found to be driving a motor vehicle and they do not legally hold a drivers licence, will be sentenced to 3 months imprisonment.

I presume this law would also be for Motor Bikes as well?

Mrs Mango said the same thing a couple of days ago ,

They do not enforce any other driving laws, why would you think they're going to enforce this one.

Just make sure you have small bills, they don't make change...

8 years I'm driving here never paid a satang at a police toll , buttongue.png I have a driving licence and I drive never sometimes more than 100 km/h ;

I think it's sometimes too much .

I like 80 km/h I can do 17,5 km with 1 liter of diesel ( 5,7 l/100 km )with my big Isuzu truck 3,000 cc , automatic box ..

Would lead to some wild and high speed chases and injuries/deaths.....Would tourists get the same prison time as well...

How about a change to the insuance system....not insuring the vehicle but the drivers. .

Edited by NickJ

Scare Tatics at its best! Make sure you have small money to get out of any Threats

Or just make sure you have a license.

I think there is a big difference between driving without a license, and driving without your license in your possession.

Don't underestimate the cops here, there not all stupid, especially the Highway patrol ones.

My wife's brother is doing 3 months in the monkey house after being stopped at a check point, no licence, no tax or insurance oh and some dodgy substance floating around in his blood stream, which sort of nailed it. Idjiot.

Half the moo baan here would be in lockup, One lady who bought a brand new car seemed really proud but after 2 days hit a pickup which was reversing out the soi, think she was using both feet and banged both pedals to the floor,she spent the next 15 minutes in panic hunting for someone with a licence to say they were behind the wheel before the insurance guy arrived.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Would be fun to see for all those foreigners who think its too much of a hassle to get a Thai drivers license and drive around on their home country one for longer as allowed.

But I doubt this law will ever pass.

Well there is no realistic way they can check how long you have been driving on your international driving permit with how the current law is worded. Checking your passport stamp is useless as the 3 months start from when you start driving. Not when you entered the country.

Would be fun to see for all those foreigners who think its too much of a hassle to get a Thai drivers license and drive around on their home country one for longer as allowed.

Well there is no realistic way they can check how long you have been driving on your international driving permit with how the current law is worded. Checking your passport stamp is useless as the 3 months start from when you start driving. Not when you entered the country.

On extension of stay: Thai DL required. On visa longer than 3 months: Thai DL required. Easy to check. When you start driving is immaterial.

What ?

The 3 month requirement is from when you enter the country. Not from when you start driving.

What ?

The 3 month requirement is from when you enter the country. Not from when you start driving.

Not according to our attorney. Had a friend visit for a year while he was on sabatical a few years back. Our lawyer showed me the laws and explained that because of poor wording there was a loophole which he had used several times before with foreigners. Mostly when their insurance companies had decided not to pay. Basically you can drive as long as your international driving permit is valid because of 2 different laws contradicting each other or something like that. Anyways have never actully tested it out myself as I have had my thai dl for 11 years now. Before that I didn't drive here.

Well, i guess the ones that does not have license, and cannot get in thailand, can simply go to cambodia and buy a new one. Cost 55usd and is good in all ASEAN.

That's what they told you when they were taking your money for a con. Good luck.

What ?

Not according to our attorney. Had a friend visit for a year while he was on sabatical a few years back. Our lawyer showed me the laws and explained that because of poor wording there was a loophole which he had used several times before with foreigners. Mostly when their insurance companies had decided not to pay. Basically you can drive as long as your international driving permit is valid because of 2 different laws contradicting each other or something like that. Anyways have never actully tested it out myself as I have had my thai dl for 11 years now. Before that I didn't drive here.

So what you are saying is that one should follow the nature of the law and that states 3 months. unless ofcourse they wish to engage to services of a suit to nitpick the law when their insurance claim has been rejected.