Is Thailand in trouble?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go into a Thai bank and withdraw a large a amount of cash, never a problem. Now try that with a western bank and see what happens. You'll have to wait days at least for them to get their hands on it, some countries even want to know why you want your own money. So which banks are more liquid, which more likely to shut the doors if a bank run?

Untrue from start to finish.

You can not walk into a Thai bank and withdraw a large amount, unless you consider 100 000 to be large amount.

If you want to withdraw 1 million up, you must notify the bank 24 hours in advance at least, if very large sum, they will tell you how many days needed

Banks in the West work the same way, unless you talking about banks in Greece.

No, what you've written is untrue. I've walked into both UOB and CIMB in Thailand and withdrawn THB 1 mill. at one time and without notice, it's not an issue.

I never said it was an issue, and already clarified busy branches i use require notice for 1 million up. it does not mean they would not give me the money if i did not give notice. But when asking if i wanted to take out large sum, they advised to give notice to have it ready.

I am certain if you walk in to the same branch and asked if they wanted a notice for large sum, the answer would be a yes.it does not however mean they do not have the money at hand, but may not have money at hand if it was a busy day, unless you think each branch has a money printing machine.

it must be also depending on the size of the branch and the number of clients who frequently withdraw high cash amounts. slightly off topic... when i withdrew the amount i mentioned before one of the ladies commented "oh you buy BMW?" when i answered grinning "no, that's for my mia noi" several young ladies responded with big laughter and offers to replace my mia noi laugh.png

When the baht strengthens again, which it will do at some point in time, I wonder how many of the posters who see Thailand as an inevitably failed state, will be starting threads about how to generate Thai based income or mitigate their need to transfer large amounts of fx to maintain their lifestyle in Thailand.

Nah, they'll mostly be complaining about how the Thai gov and rich Thais are manipulating the exchange rate somehow. In other words, these same whiners/whingers will criticize the Thais regardless of whether the baht is strong or weak.

it must be also depending on the size of the branch and the number of clients who frequently withdraw high cash amounts. slightly off topic... when i withdrew the amount i mentioned before one of the ladies commented "oh you buy BMW?" when i answered grinning "no, that's for my mia noi" several young ladies responded with big laughter and offers to replace my mia noi laugh.png

So the real question is, how often have you been back?tongue.png

PS, I will not tell your wife, secret us safe with me, if the price is rightbiggrin.png

PS, I will not tell your wife, secret us safe with me, if the price is rightbiggrin.png

i have to disappoint you. the cash was for this car and the lady sitting in it is not my mia noi but the Old Lady i married 36 years ago tongue.png

post-35218-0-33363900-1440410717_thumb.j

i have to disappoint you. the cash was for this car and the lady sitting in it is not my mia noi but the Old Lady i married 36 years ago tongue.png

attachicon.gifJag Amar.jpg

Real or a replica?

(The car, I mean).

post-35218-0-33363900-1440410717.jpg

Very rare BMW model if you ask me.

My god man, do you not know an E Type when you see one, whatever are they teaching in schools these days.

I understand that in your school they taught car models, but in my school they taught reading.

Naam said

when i withdrew the amount i mentioned before one of the ladies commented "oh you buy BMW?

Anytime you ask that question on TV, you'll get the same answer. Thailand is always doomed. The tourists are always about to stop coming. The economy is always about to go tits up. Round here, the sky is always falling.

True, but this time they are right!

My god man, do you not know an E Type when you see one, whatever are they teaching in schools these days.

I understand that in your school they taught car models, but in my school they taught reading.

Naam said

when i withdrew the amount i mentioned before one of the ladies commented "oh you buy BMW?

Well damn Anthony, you clearly went to the wrong school, mine was much more fun from the sound of things. laugh.png

Apologies that I did not recognize the humor.

attachicon.gifJag Amar.jpg

Real or a replica?

(The car, I mean).

Tcherman Klingons abhor replicas! both wife and car very real. wife is much older than car but both in excellent condition due to best possible maintenance laugh.png