Police say 7 dead after jet in UK airshow crashes into road

Lite Beer

Police say 7 dead after jet in UK airshow crashes into road
SYLVIA HUI, Associated Press

LONDON (AP) — A military jet taking part in a British airshow crashed into a busy main road, killing seven people and injuring more than a dozen others, police said Saturday.

The Hawker Hunter fighter jet, which was participating in the Shoreham Airshow near Brighton in southern England, hit several vehicles on a nearby road as it crashed Saturday afternoon. Witnesses told local TV that the jet appeared to have crashed when it failed to pull out of a loop maneuver.

West Sussex Police said seven died at the scene and one patient with life-threatening injuries was taken to the hospital. A further 14 people were treated for minor injuries.

News video and photographs showed a fireball erupting near trees and huge plumes of thick black smoke rising. A witness, Stephen Jones, told the BBC that the pilot had just begun his display.

"He'd gone up into a loop and as he was coming out of the loop I just thought, you're too low, you're too low, pull up. And he flew straight into the ground either on or very close to the A27, which runs past the airport," Jones said.

The force said all the casualties were believed to have occurred on the road, and no one on the airfield was believed injured. It was not known whether the pilot was able to eject.

The road was closed in both directions Saturday.

Crashes at British airshows are rare, but in 2007 the pilot of a World War II Hurricane died at the Shoreham Airshow after performing an unplanned barrel-roll.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-08-23

Tragic and unexpected ending for well meaning show organisers and the pilot involved in the crush,

and with a loss of innocent people on the ground, sadly in these

shows, often, airframe and capabilities of aircrafts are maxed to please spectators and show organisers,

often with tragic results...

Edited by ezzra

Tragic and unexpected ending for well meaning show organisers and the pilot involved in the crush,

shows, often, airframe and capabilities of aircrafts are maxed to please spectators and show organisers,

Too right. Before blaming the aircraft though we should also look at the human factors involved in performing in front of sympathetic crowds. When the good old boys are looking on when you do the little extra to 'please' the hungry enthusiasts. Of course it is usually on an aircraft of a different generation which the performer has flown only very infrequently. The adrenalin rush then sets in and prepares the scene for the catastrophic event so often observed at air shows. Especially when commemorating heroic events like battle of Britain, Falklands, etc. British Airways will have to think about restricting their aircrews to 'work only' considering the number of fatalities these recreational flying activities produce.

Fritzz

Crashes are probably as rare as they are in commercial flight. Its simply an accident.

I just got back from a world class airshow in Canada. My Fil wife was in aw of it. The Breitling jet team and the Raptor made our day. I love airshows.

Latest up date...

More bodies may be found after a vintage jet crashed, killing seven people, while performing at an air show in West Sussex, police have said.

The pilot was taken by air ambulance to the Royal Sussex County Hospital and is "fighting for his life", police say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-34029764

This was a 60 year old bird...

WV372 was built as an F.4 and first flew on 15th July 1955. Delivered to 222(F) Squadron on 2nd September 1955, around a year later her rear fuselage was badly damaged by an in-flight fire caused by hot exhaust gases escaping when the jetpipe detached from the engine.

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/survivor.php?id=266#sthash.ynRk3VuK.dpuf

Ruined someone's big day but fortunately the happy couple were not in the car at the time...

....crashed into a Daimler wedding limo that was on its way to pick up a bride and groom around 1.30pm.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3207016/Pilot-pulled-burning-wreckage-plane-crashes-Shoreham-Airshow.html

Edited by Basil B

Sure, simply an accident (as someone here stated). The "accident" didn't have to kill seven people.

Why was he performing a low-altitude loop over something even resembling a populated area?

An altitude error can result as with this F-16 L/A loop incident at an airshow at Mountain Home Air Force Base:

post-120659-0-64753800-1440334616_thumb.

Anyway RIP, victims and a rapid an full recovery for the pilot

Sure, simply an accident (as someone here stated). The "accident" didn't have to kill seven people.

Why was he performing a low-altitude loop over something even resembling a populated area?

An altitude error can result as with this F-16 L/A loop incident at an airshow at Mountain Home Air Force Base:

attachicon.gifF-16_Ejection.jpg

Anyway RIP, victims and a rapid an full recovery for the pilot

Because it is done thousands of times without issue. It could have killed more people. I am unsure what your point is.

Crashes are probably as rare as they are in commercial flight. Its simply an accident.

I just got back from a world class airshow in Canada. My Fil wife was in aw of it. The Breitling jet team and the Raptor made our day. I love airshows.

Dont have them, then there will be no risks at all, simple

I don't love airshows. There is an annual death toll from them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_air_show_accidents_and_incidents#2015

By this point we can regard the disasters as inevitable.

They are also a manifestation of several toxic traits of the modern world: militarism, misplaced notions of masculinity, nationalism, an overweening pride in technological ability, and the substitution of spectacle for meaning in life.

If this were a Thai airshow and plane, can you imagine the reaction by posters on this website?

Edited by DeepInTheForest

DeepInThe-Forest QUOTE They are also a manifestation of several toxic traits of the modern world: militarism, misplaced notions of masculinity, nationalism, an overweening pride in technological ability, and the substitution of spectacle for meaning in life.

If this were a Thai airshow and plane, can you imagine the reaction by posters on this website? UNQUOTE

You do have a point. In fact probably all your points are valid.

The mainly US barnstorming craze in the first half of the last century set off the need for showing your mettle to the crowds. Ray Ban, Big watch and moustache is a must. Harley or Ducati on the front lawn almost compulsory motorisation. Unfortunately the lonely barns have become cities and the skies are full of metal of all kind, some even lacking the moustache and Ray Bans as the pizza deliverers are preparing their drones to join in. It is the end of the airshows. At least in civilised countries as regulatory bodies are pushed to restrict airspace and manoeuvers to a degree where it becomes boring. A pity in several aspects. But as necessary as condoms, restricting driving under the influence and riding with your 45 into town on a Friday night. Are we in for some boring times?

Tally-ho

Fritzz

Police now say the toll may reach 20+...

Lot of pedestrians where the plane came down. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3207016/Pilot-pulled-burning-wreckage-plane-crashes-Shoreham-Airshow.html#i-851d65c540ba2ec8

No pedestrians at all, it crashed on a road (Shoreham bypass), no houses, no sidewalk, no people, just cars driving along.

About as deserted a bit (South Downs) of England as you can get these days.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Police now say the toll may reach 20+...

Lot of pedestrians where the plane came down. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3207016/Pilot-pulled-burning-wreckage-plane-crashes-Shoreham-Airshow.html#i-851d65c540ba2ec8

No pedestrians at all, it crashed on a road (Shoreham bypass), no houses, no sidewalk, no people, just cars driving along.

About as deserted a bit (South Downs) of England as you can get these days.

I did post a link... I did not post the photo here because it is copyright.

Look at the top photo lower right hand corner, I can see at least 8 people...

Edited by Basil B

And none of them are pedestrians ........

Roadworkers, rescue workers, dunno what they are, but all wearing red/orange coveralls.

Wrong the G forces are reduced with age, the older the plane the less G force they are allowed to pull, Even the air frame has to go through a rigorous air

worth testing. When i was young in the uK i use to watch Vulcans take of vertical but the only one on show now does nothing like any of the things i saw as

a youth.

There are very few air accidents in the UK, i have been to Dozens of them , Thats where i first saw the Stealth fighter back in the 80s at MIldenhall, Suffok

Edited by Thongkorn

Roadworkers, rescue workers, dunno what they are, but all wearing red/orange coveralls.

I know this area well as I went to school just up the hill. Although this is a multi lane bypass (at that point at least), there are footpaths and the area does get some pedestrians. There is a pub very close by, and access to the river means that people can and do walk in that area. On the side of the road where the plane seems to have ended up, I think there are also footpaths, but I have never seen people there- it is the area that runs alongside the airfield and was quite heavy in vegetation. Having said all that, although there are footpaths and all in the area, and a few houses belonging to the school, and the pub; it isn't really a pedestrian area.

Wrong the G forces are reduced with age, the older the plane the less G force they are allowed to pull, Even the air frame has to go through a rigorous air

worth testing. When i was young in the uK i use to watch Vulcans take of vertical but the only one on show now does nothing like any of the things i saw as

a youth.

There are very few air accidents in the UK, i have been to Dozens of them , Thats where i first saw the Stealth fighter back in the 80s at MIldenhall, Suffok

I was only yards away from the tragic Woodford air-show accident in 1992, from the sound of the Merlin engine he couldn't gain enough height to complete the loop, nothing to do with G force

Every year when the Vulcan left Woodford on the Sunday it would do a short display over the airfield and finish with a vertical climb (awesome event to watch) the last time they pulled that stunt over Flight sheds within a matter of months The hangar roof collapsed (August 12, 1987) I actually think the roof was weakened after modifications to enable AEW Nimrods access but it seemed to much of a coincidence

My sincere condolences to all the family and friends of those who died as a result of the Shoreham, and Woodford airshows

Edited by wobblyjohn

I know this area well as I went to school just up the hill. Although this is a multi lane bypass (at that point at least), there are footpaths and the area does get some pedestrians. There is a pub very close by, and access to the river means that people can and do walk in that area. On the side of the road where the plane seems to have ended up, I think there are also footpaths, but I have never seen people there- it is the area that runs alongside the airfield and was quite heavy in vegetation. Having said all that, although there are footpaths and all in the area, and a few houses belonging to the school, and the pub; it isn't really a pedestrian area.

The pubs been closed for years.

You went to school at Lancing College?

Too posh for me, I had to make do with King's Manor.

Well if they are rescue workers they were fast off the mark...

none of the are wearing coveralls, or reflective tabbards, 4 seem to be wearing orange shirts but that could be refection from the fire ball.

The picture is grainy, Maybe a couple of them are event marshals directing traffic, looks like at least one guy with a bike, maybe a few people who did not like the entrance fee watching from the footpath, they were close to the centre line of the runway and good place to take photos,

I don't love airshows. There is an annual death toll from them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_air_show_accidents_and_incidents#2015

By this point we can regard the disasters as inevitable.

They are also a manifestation of several toxic traits of the modern world: militarism, misplaced notions of masculinity, nationalism, an overweening pride in technological ability, and the substitution of spectacle for meaning in life.

If this were a Thai airshow and plane, can you imagine the reaction by posters on this website?

Ban everything you don't personally like ?

I am sure there is an annual death toll from bowling.