About to be homeless - any suggestions?

nicolas18

Strange, living in a country without having health insurance is a no-no, som nam na.

You might get help in Belgium from the CPAS?

Are you in overstay also?

I understand your problem would be to find funds for a plane ticket plus your rent plus overstay fee and what else?

I had (and still have) health insurance, but, due to the fact that I had a history of minor back problems, my herniated disc was considered a pre-existing condition and therefore not covered.

At the moment, I have two choices (but, neither of them are possible due to lack of funds):

1. Go back to Europe, which means a plane ticket, paying for the 20K overstay and the rent I currently owe. Pro: I would be in my own country. Con: I would be homeless.

2. Go to Cambodia and get a new visa, which means paying for the overstay at the border, pay for a new visa and have 20K on hand to show the immigration officer if needed. Pro: I could easily find a job once I'm not on overstay anymore. Con: I still am about to be homeless in a couple of days and, even if I did find a job right away, I wouldn't have any money to pay for a room during the first month.

So, yeah, complicated issue. Which is why I asked for suggestions here.

I read somewhere that a full (20,000 Baht) overstay will lead to the overstayer getting banned for a year or years from returning? It would be vitally important for the OP if that could be substantiated.
law has never been passed, no bans

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always sad to hear of people getting into this sort of trouble. I think it's human nature to help in whatever way you can. HOWEVER

About 15 years ago when in Thailand I recieved a desperate call from a Kiwi farang who was incarcerated in the Immigration Detention Centre.He had been arrested for overstay, or rather he hadn't done his 90 day report on his one year visa. He had no money either for the airfare back to NZ or his overstay fine. The fine wasn't 20K as it is nowadays but was calculated on the number of days overstayed. I hardly knew the guy, I'd only met him two or three times in a pub in Perth W.A.

I thought long and hard about it, 'there but for the grace go I' In the end I sent 22K baht to the New Zealand Consulate to spring him. I got a 'phone call thanking me profusely and saying he would repay me ten times over, I said that wasn't necesssary but don't let me down. 22K was a lot of money then and severely restricted my activities for my stay in Thailand.

Needless to say I never heard from him again, not a phone call or a thank you note.

They say that farangs are more likelyto be ripped off by other farangs than Thais in Thailand. This was surely a prime example of this.

NEVER AGAIN

OP - Most foreigners who run out of money here end up teaching in small private schools that don;t insist on native speakers with degrees. Otherwise, Thais are charitable people. Have you thought of begging? Writing out a sign that states your predicament and sitting in a busy thoroughfare.

Hard to understand that nobody is prepared to help you, that you have no friends or family whatsoever.

Op as a fellow Belgian i have been following this thread for a while and i don't know what part of Belgium you come from but i don't understand why a person coming from a country wich has the best social securety system and health care in the world would be without a roof over their head and basic medi care when returning in youre condition.

The basic Belgian health Insurance wich costs about 75 euro a year is still available to you providing you still paid every year or start again upon returning only for treatment in Belgium.

The social services will also provide you with a roof over youre head and food and an allownce until you can stand on your own two feet again.

Only thing you need is airplane ticket and money for overstay fine so please don't tell every body on this website you will not have any support would you return,unless youre looking for a free hand out on this site a have known a few people in the Belgian Thai community who where in the same situation as you and are doing fine now .

I don' get it, I offered him help but no reply at all.

I havnt had time to read all the posts on this thread since I last looked about page 3 but I also sent the OP a PM offering some practical advice that gave him an option to stay in a forest temple with a Monk who was previously a Doctor and possibly recuperate both his mind and body or at least give him some breathing space.

I too have had no answer and I hope and pray that the OP will if he is in fact able to get online consider the option in my PM

Whether the OP returns, is legit or not, there is a lot of useful and helpful info posted here that may be of use to others who may find themselves in or heading toward a similar situation.

And then there is the trolling horse manure like...

Have you thought of begging? Writing out a sign that states your predicament and sitting in a busy thoroughfare.

I havnt had time to read all the posts on this thread since I last looked about page 3 but I also sent the OP a PM offering some practical advice that gave him an option to stay in a forest temple with a Monk who was previously a Doctor and possibly recuperate both his mind and body or at least give him some breathing space.

I too have had no answer and I hope and pray that the OP will if he is in fact able to get online consider the option in my PM

I think a 'forest temple with a monk' is probably the last thing on someone`s mind when they need to get home asap to sort themselves out financially. As much as I admire your kind heart it is a shame this world revolves around bits of paper with numbers on them but this guy bassicly needs 40k asap. I am sure the OP is sorted by now hopefully anyway as he seems to have jumped out of the post, cheers

I don' get it, I offered him help but no reply at all.

Probably more likely to be a troll if they DO stick around.

Could also have sold the computer or laptop for needed money. Sitting around at an internet cafe is probably not a priority at this point, especially with the advice I have read so far.

Though temples will take you in, most require some sort of dedication to the cause if you want to stick around for a long time, esp if you want to become a monk. The head monk will figure out why your there before long.

It's going to be hard work physically and mentally and is not really a free loader option, but if it's feast of famine it could be pulled off I suppose. They would probably not kick you out if you insist on staying.

Edited by CharlieH

It's always sad to hear of people getting into this sort of trouble. I think it's human nature to help in whatever way you can. HOWEVER

About 15 years ago when in Thailand I recieved a desperate call from a Kiwi farang who was incarcerated in the Immigration Detention Centre.He had been arrested for overstay, or rather he hadn't done his 90 day report on his one year visa. He had no money either for the airfare back to NZ or his overstay fine. The fine wasn't 20K as it is nowadays but was calculated on the number of days overstayed. I hardly knew the guy, I'd only met him two or three times in a pub in Perth W.A.

I thought long and hard about it, 'there but for the grace go I' In the end I sent 22K baht to the New Zealand Consulate to spring him. I got a 'phone call thanking me profusely and saying he would repay me ten times over, I said that wasn't necesssary but don't let me down. 22K was a lot of money then and severely restricted my activities for my stay in Thailand.

Needless to say I never heard from him again, not a phone call or a thank you note.

They say that farangs are more likelyto be ripped off by other farangs than Thais in Thailand. This was surely a prime example of this.

NEVER AGAIN

So you helped they guy in a desperate situation (verified by paying the embassy), he thanked you profusely and your bitter because he did not stick around to kiss arse?

or, are you bitter because you did not get paid 10 times over, or repaid?

NEVER AGAIN

So you helped they guy in a desperate situation (verified by paying the embassy), he thanked you profusely and your bitter because he did not stick around to kiss arse?

I share the same experience, a loan just doesn't work. In such cases don't expect any repayment and don't expect any gratitude. Just do it because at that moment it seems the right thing to do. All further positive outcomes, I consider as a bonus. Like in this case, a lot of people offered help but the OP left the thread. Well so be it, I don't feel any anger nor disappointment.

NEVER AGAIN

Not sure why you're attacking this poster. It's clear he lent someone some money and never saw it--or the guy--again. The gratitude was all fake. What's the problem?

Some of the compassion and understanding shown here lets me know that should I ever need help I would not look for it here! I hope everyone receives that which they've given, in spades.

So is this your offer of help to the OP Not to be critical but I would think he can do very little with what you have offered.

Whether the OP returns, is legit or not, there is a lot of useful and helpful info posted here that may be of use to others who may find themselves in or heading toward a similar situation.

Have you thought of begging? Writing out a sign that states your predicament and sitting in a busy thoroughfare.

You obviously haven't been here very long. It's common knowledge that some foreigners in dire straits do exactly as I've described.

Thais are charitable people and some give generously if they feel genuinely sympathetic to people in need.

Edited by dbrenn

It is a tough situation to be in. I think it is probalby a legitimate situation. I know some people are question how a person can have no family or friends back home to rely on. It is very possible - maybe an only child, separated from parents, maybe did some things previously which broke you up with your friends, etc. He has been out of his home country for a number of years and that can decrease friendships also.

I hope he is able to recover from his situation. I feel very bad for him.

NEVER AGAIN

Not sure why you're attacking this poster. It's clear he lent someone some money and never saw it--or the guy--again. The gratitude was all fake. What's the problem?

Problem is that the guy offered to pay it back and was told it was not required. That was the end of it.

"I got a 'phone call thanking me profusely and saying he would repay me ten times over, I said that wasn't necesssary but don't let me down"

Edited by fey

This thread is just sad now....not from those who offered help and advice of all types but from the OP who lacked the grace to reply.

Maybe its due to his "depression" but more likely for other reasons.

To have no friend who could help you after eight years in Thailand is beyond sad....anyway have a good weekend all...perhaps he is in a wagon headed for the IDC.

He didn't say he had no friends in Thailand, just that he had lost touch with everyone back home.

Yes wd be good to get an update but there could be a few reasons why that hasn't happened

I'll kiss your arse, happy now? 1zgarz5.gif

Thanks for the advice, you quite a man in my eyes.

-The OP

You were incredible last night with your hairy arse.

Edited by fey

You obviously haven't been here very long. It's common knowledge that some foreigners in dire straits do exactly as I've described.

:bah:

Three pathetic cases in my 16 years here doesn't equate to the "useful and helpful info" that moderator CharlieH commends, but hey, keep trolling if you derive pleasure from it.

NEVER AGAIN

Problem is that the guy offered to pay it back and was told it was not required. That was the end of it.

"I got a 'phone call thanking me profusely and saying he would repay me ten times over, I said that wasn't necesssary but don't let me down"

I shouldn't be answering on his behalf, but I think the Tok dude meant that the guy didn't have to repay him "ten times over," but just the original amount. That's what he meant by "don't let me down."

Quite correct. It was never suggested that this was to be a gift, it was always a loan whicgh he promised to pay as quickly as possible. He was a chef so there would be no problem in getting a job in NZ.

As for the suggestion that I wanted hiim to to 'kiss my arse in gratitude' that's absurd. I was doing the bloke a bloody big favour at great inconvenience to my self.The plain fact is that he renaged on his promises and let me down.

Edited by Toknarok

There's still hope. Remember Benjamin Holst the 30-year-old German (with the fat leg) who was deported from Thailand after he was found drinking and partying whilst begging for money on Bangkok and Pattaya streets is now chancing his luck in the neighbouring Philippines. He got funds and a plane ticket.

How many days now since the OP posted? He was "last active" on here at 08.29 today so it would appear he is not in the IDC, perhaps he is happy just to leave everyone else bickering.

His laughter is sounding less desperate by the day.

Ok thats actually good news if he has been online today.

Get some help mate, plenty of advice for you to read that has been posted here the last 2 days. And ignore the trolls.

Edited by balo

sounds like looking for handouts and a sucker to give money

at 30 prime of life should be working not on drugs here

--------------------------------

He said in his post he was not on drugs and did not drink.

Unless you can prove otherwise, don't doubt his words.

His problem is a medical condition which he used his own funds to treat here in Thailand.

That medical problem also meant he couldn't work.

Only real choice is to go back to his home country and start again.

Some advice from a 68 year old man .... but you probably won't take it.

When life knocks you down, stand back up and start walking again.

At 68 years life has already dealt me two strikes previously.

Stop moaning, and get up and go back to bat.... you still have one more strike.

Honestly, at age 30, no matter what you think, your life has barely begun.

You can't win if you don't try, so stand up and go on.

It's an anonymous forum - doubt everything...its 99 percent bullsh@t

Quite correct. It was never suggested that this was to be a gift, it was always a loan whicgh he promised to pay as quickly as possible. He was a chef so there would be no problem in getting a job in NZ.

As for the suggestion that I wanted hiim to to 'kiss my arse in gratitude' that's absurd. I was doing the bloke a bloody big favour at great inconvenience to my self.The plain fact is that he renaged on his promises and let me down.

if we have to ask, that's 90% of the problem.

leave the wishy-washy stuff at home next time and make it clear this was a loan that needs to be paid back. most loans will be returned if you make it clear man-to-man. if they are not, it's pretty easy to move on because it's obvious it was them and not you.

we are here trying to figure out what you mean just like this guy was. make it clear next time. try giving a firm date the funds need to be re-paid. look him in the eye and tell him what he needs to do as a man.