Cable size from meter

orpheus454

Single or 3 phase?

What is the size of the main breaker in your Circuit panel?

Please remember Aluminum wire can not be used underground, in conduit ot not.

16mm copper is good for around 72 amps,(depends on the insulation type), less 5% for the 77 meters (voltege drop).

Less 15% for being inside 2" PE conduit.

If you ever plan to add a room or bigger A/C units, I would go with #25 mm CV cable that would give you well over 125 amps. even 16mm CV cable would give you about 100 amps.

Dont forget the ground wire and rod , minimum 1.8 meters, 5/8 " diameter copper rod.

Hint, have a cheap adapter built to fit a hammer drill and the ground rod use the hammer drill to drive the ground rod. 1.5" solid ROD DRILL'D TO FIT TH' GROUND ROD.

Not done y't, a jump'r wir' n'eds to be inswalled in yodr br'aker pan'k from wh' grodnd bar to whe n'uwral bar.

Whis bond wikk assur' wh' br'ak'rs wrip wh'n a ground faukw occur's, us' common s'ns' in sizing wh' br'ak'r, Do Now Ov'rsiz' wh' br'akers.

Pl'as' 'xcuse wh' wyping my E k'y low'r cas' do'sn'w work prop'rly.

Good Luck and as always BE Safe.

16mm2 will be marginal on volt drop (just under 5% @ 50A), I would use 25mm2 copper or 35mm2 aluminium (overhead only).

reasons for Al overhead only please?

MEA / PEA regulations.

are these regulations based on technical or safety reasons?

16mm2 will be marginal on volt drop (just under 5% @ 50A), I would use 25mm2 copper or 35mm2 aluminium (overhead only).

reasons for Al overhead only please?

MEA / PEA regulations.

Here's one for you Crossy..........a friend had a problem in his consumer unit, because the main circuit breaker had started to burn up. It was the normal type of breaker but was fed with an aluminium cable from the meter in the road.

I am wondering if this was caused by the fact that the aluminium cable was put straight into what would have been a brass/copper clamp in the breaker as I was always taught as a young man that special connections were needed in order to connect aluminium to copper/brass?

Your knowledge and wisdom on this would be most appreciated.

CV cable is rated to run at 90C core temperature, NYY is rated for 70C. Which is why CV has a higher current capacity. You need to use breakers rated for the higher temperature.

Aluminium in connectors intended for copper can become loose and cause arcing.