Dengue fever getting worse in Thailand

webfact

Dengue fever getting worse this year

8-23-2015-6-44-54-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The situation of dengue fever this year is getting worse with the number of victims likely to double that of last year, said public health permanent secretary Dr Narong Sahamethapat over the weekend.

For the first eight months of this year until August 18, the number of victims afflicted with dengue fever was registered at 51,500 which was double the number registered for the same period last year with 37 fatalities, he said, adding that the number could climb to 70,00 by year end.

Most of the cases were in the Central Plains, followed by the Northeast, northern and southern regions and 10-14 years age group accounted for the biggest number of victims of all age groups.

Dr Narong said 80 percent of dengue fever cases were caused by bites from striped or Asian Tiger mosquito species at homes and those who used to be afflicted by the disease could again suffer from the same disease if bitten by striped mosquito species.

He encouraged health offices throughout the country to campaign for members of the public to get rid of breeding grounds for the mosquitoes at home, offices and all places.

Meanwhile, Dr Sophon Mekthana, director-general of Diseases Control Department, said victims of dengue fever would have high fever, headache, muscle and eye socket pains, vomiting and blood spots on the skin. He advised patients developing the above symptoms not to take aspirin bio-profen medicines as this might induce more internal bleeding.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dengue-fever-getting-worse-this-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-24

In Singapore, if somebody gets dengue, they investigate thoroughly. They go to the area and find the source, potentially fining the person where the mosquitoes were breeding. Thailand needs to up it's game here. I wouldn't doubt if the 51,000 number is low.

There used to be an effort in Chiang Mai to control mosquitoes by spraying or fogging but that seems to have stopped over the last couple of years. Given that there 10,000 cases of dengue in Chiang Mai in 2013, and that figure only relates to reported cases with many people just toughing it out, you would think the eradication program would increase.

I guess someone forgot to tell someone to do it. Or maybe it is just my soi that is being neglected.

There used to be an effort in Chiang Mai to control mosquitoes by spraying or fogging but that seems to have stopped over the last couple of years. Given that there 10,000 cases of dengue in Chiang Mai in 2013, and that figure only relates to reported cases with many people just toughing it out, you would think the eradication program would increase.

I guess someone forgot to tell someone to do it. Or maybe it is just my soi that is being neglected.

My C.M. soi is "fogged" nasty smell, every friday...it really drives the roaches out of the drains and they stagger around until a myna bird eats them...

In Singapore, if somebody gets dengue, they investigate thoroughly. They go to the area and find the source, potentially fining the person where the mosquitoes were breeding. Thailand needs to up it's game here. I wouldn't doubt if the 51,000 number is low.

Bit odd to use Singapore as an example here, don't you think? After all, it's a tad smaller than Thailand - at least last time I looked - and more compact, thus more manageable.

But Thailand indeed does need to resume its good efforts of the past in eradicating dengue and malaria. It's had enough time to get its act together as warnings of a dangerous resurgence in dengue have been issued for at least three years that I can recall.

Singapore is a first world small city/island state . Much easier to controle there , compaired to the vast and poorer country that is Thailand , with 3 even poorer neighbours.

hey Witawat , you beat me to it !

Edited by BuaBS

I guess there is supposed to be four or five types of Dengue, and when you get one, you are immune to that one from then on. But as you get a second or third type, your symptoms get worse.

Thankfully, it appears that they are now close to having an effective vaccine that will keep you from getting it, or at least lessen the symptoms greatly if you do get it..

"There are approximately six vaccine candidates under evaluation in clinical trial. The vaccine candidate currently at the most advanced clinical development stage is a live recombinant tetravalent dengue vaccine. This has now been evaluated as a 3-dose series on a 0/6/12 month schedule in Phase III clinical studies and has been submitted for registration in several endemic countries." - W.H.O.

http://www.denguevaccines.org

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine

http://www.who.int/immunization/research/development/dengue_vaccines/en/

This is good news. As soon as the vaccine is proven effective... I'll be getting my shots.

It is another good time for private hospital to make money! Once a time, I got fever (99F), and went to a private hospital at Pattaya. The doctor asked me to have blood test on dengue fever even I did not even have one of the above symptoms.

Bit odd to use Singapore as an example here, don't you think? After all, it's a tad smaller than Thailand - at least last time I looked - and more compact, thus more manageable.

But Thailand indeed does need to resume its good efforts of the past in eradicating dengue and malaria. It's had enough time to get its act together as warnings of a dangerous resurgence in dengue have been issued for at least three years that I can recall.

A bit odd, yes, but just trying to point out how one country deals with this terrible disease effectively. I don't think it'd be that different from the many countries that have pretty much eliminated malaria? Just needs an aggressive and coordinated front. Thailand is rich enough to afford this. I hate to think of the economic consequences of over 50,000 cases of dengue a year!

I know many who've gotten this here in Pattaya over the years. Most lived in highly developed areas!

Yep, and possibly, just possibly, someone who received the budget destined to fund the continuance of the Dengue Eradication Program actually used it to fund the continuance of his Personal Enrichment Program, a well-known evaporation effect of the Greed Fever, a plague much more harmful around here than dengue.

If they would get smart and find a vaccine, It has been done for far less debilitating illnesses. But, then those unnecessary blood test would dry up. The Department of Health would move on to more pressing matters. productivity might increase, though I doubt it. Maybe they need Bill and Melissa gates to step in and show how it's done. But that might be a bit embarrasing to the authorities.Most officials I hear speak could not find their way up an elevator shaft let alone a souce of mosquitos.

My C.M. soi is "fogged" nasty smell, every friday...it really drives the roaches out of the drains and they stagger around until a myna bird eats them...

It used to be like that here, bloody horrible if you did not get to close the windows in time. Thinking maybe I missed them I asked the lady in the little shop and she says they haven't been for a long, long time. I guess someone forgot to pass along the envelope or whatever the system is.

A good way to stamp out the problem - only do it patches. Just as well mosquitoes can't fly, isn't it

Edited by Saan

There is a very good solution for targeting any kind of mosquito by genetically manipulating them in their reproduction abilities.

http://www.oxitec.com

This institute tampers with the genes after which they are not fertile anymore.

I had forwarded this information more then a year ago to the health ministry but never got any response back.

My daughter contracted dengue a few years ago. She was in hospital at Bumrumgrad for a week. A week or so after she was discharged some health inspectors came to our house to ask questions and examine the area.

So I guess that there are some reporting and programs in place. They sprayed the moo baan shortly after.

A bit odd, yes, but just trying to point out how one country deals with this terrible disease effectively. I don't think it'd be that different from the many countries that have pretty much eliminated malaria? Just needs an aggressive and coordinated front. Thailand is rich enough to afford this. I hate to think of the economic consequences of over 50,000 cases of dengue a year!

I know many who've gotten this here in Pattaya over the years. Most lived in highly developed areas!

The species of mossie that carries dengue favours populated areas, and is active in the daytime - two ways it differs from the more common malaria mossie.

I would argue that those measures are much easier to implement in Singapore, being smaller and more urban. The regions listed with the most cases are primarily rural and low income and would be difficult to implement effective eradication measures. Really not sure what would help, other than better education and possibly some monetary assistance to help with eliminating the worst breeding grounds.

The relativley open gutter systems here are the biggest problem. I have had it twice. once in Bkk and once in Jomtien......People might be good at closing windows and doors in the morning and eve. but in the daytime with the gutters being the breeding grounds, good luck......

Globalization has made it more difficult to contain, which is another good reason to develop a vaccine. Even parts of Florida, Louisiana, and Texas have been getting outbreaks of dengue in the last few years.