German killed by hit-and-run van driver in Chonburi

webfact

German Killed by Hit-And-Run Van Driver
By Khaosod English

14404107781440411009l.jpg
A rescue worker points to a van whose driver is suspected of killing a 78-year-old German man as he crossed a road southeast of Bangkok in Chonburi province before fleeing the scene.

CHONBURI — A 78-year-old German man was killed by a public van driver as he was crossing a road last night in Chonburi province.

The public van, which runs between Bangkok and Pattaya, struck the German on a road near Bang Saen beach at around 9 pm last night before its driver fled the scene leaving passengers in his van according to local police.

Police Lt. Col. Prateep Thongwadee said they are looking for the suspect, whose name police have yet to release.

One of the three passengers told reporters the van driver was traveling “very fast” prior to the accident, complaining that he wanted to pick up passengers at the Central Festival Pattaya shopping mall before other vans were able to.

The victim is a Chonburi resident with family in Thailand, police said. His daughter is married to Manaswin Nantasen, an actor and singer well known in the 1990s.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1440410778

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-08-24

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although 90kmh is the maximum speed for vans by law, it may be way too fast for most stretches of road.

Not very long ago everyone was terrified going by bus to whatever place mostly due to the erratic style of driving.

Now most tour-buses have been replaced by minivans....let's say 5 vans for 1 tour bus.........you don't need a degree in maths to figure out the increase of lunatics on the road.

Well surely he shouldn't be too difficult to find , being it was a public van full of passengers, many of which would have been Thai too I would imagine.

If they do find this cowardly <deleted> eventually, after he has sobered up or rid himself of traces of Yabba or whatever, I wonder, being as the German guy was related and with close connections to someone famous in Thailand, I wonder if he will get away with a few days in a temple and a small fine, or will the family be looking for a big payout or long tem sentence ?

RIP to the German guy.

RIP and sympathies to wife, friends and family. I can't see why the police can't release the name of the driver. They should have been able to confirm his name with the employer and van passengers. Also, it would be good to release his name and have his family shame him into turning himself in to the police. Not that they will do much to him.

The only thing surprising here is that we are not reading reports like this daily

We are all aware that these van drivers are a menace and a danger to everyone .......pedestrians and other road users

For goodness sake (and ours) ...someone in authority ....have the back bone to put a stop to these people.......Thais and Foreigners are at risk

RIP German co-expat

Amazing mindset. In a company vehicle, well marked, passengers in the rear. Did he suddenly think he had become invisible?

The most likely answer is that he will turn himself in after a couple of days once he has sobered up/come down instead of facing additional DWI charges.

78 years old, crossing a highway road (assuming these intercity vans do not go into small soi) alone at 9pm. Could easily get blinded by the headlights of oncoming cars and especially if he was crossing at some random point without proper road lighting.

It really isn't rocket science to get all these reckless driving under control. Sadly, there just isn't the will (or the competency) to get it done with local management/authorities. Simple first step is to restrict the top speed of these vehicles - easily done electronically.

Condolences to the German's family. This Thai hit and runner should be jailed for a long term when found. Thai runners are a disgrace as they flee leaving their victims. Someday Thais will tackle a Thai runner an hold him until police come. A Thai hit and run driver is a terrorist in waiting.

It really isn't rocket science to get all these reckless driving under control. Sadly, there just isn't the will (or the competency) to get it done with local management/authorities. Simple first step is to restrict the top speed of these vehicles - easily done electronically.

I had a friend that delivered frozen yogurt all over Florida in the 1980's.

His delivery truck would not go over 55 MPH.

~30 years later Thailand still hasn't figured this out. Sad.

RIP to the victim.

I drive Sukhumvit road here in Chonburi often. At times, it's like a raceway. Drivers know there are no speed traps and no police watching. These vans are the worst. Passing on the left, stopping abruptly, right in the middle of an active lane, etc. The police need to up their game, but unfortunately, can't due to the powerful owners.

Condolences to the poor man's family.

Amazing mindset. In a company vehicle, well marked, passengers in the rear. Did he suddenly think he had become invisible?

You assuming he did any thinking at all.

Logical thinking sadly is NOT very common trait in this country, its may be i get lucky attitude

RIP german man and condolences to the family.

Since it's a foreigner and not a cop, It will be interesting to see how much compinsation this family is paid. Or if police care to even catch the guy.....

Compensation would be 0, however because his daughter is married to someone with a name, i do not think it would be swept away under the rug

You can not get water out of a stone.so jail terms is on horizon.

Insurance would pay 1 or 2 million baht, depending on the policy and company might chip in few hundred thousand for the sake of PR

They will never catch him, he has fled to Thailand's biggest city; the City of "Driver fled the scene", right next to City of "Inactive duty"...

Anyway in the news (both online and on paper) you frequently hear about the driver fleeing the scene, but I think I have never heard any follow up on the story, such as "Driver caught" or something, maybe there are just too many of these news for the papers and sites to bother following up? Of course there are the infamous cases of Red Bull and Reese but they can flee or not flee, they will get out of it anyway and come back. Those cases are followed up just because they are rich and/or famous.

Edited by AlQaholic

I used to take that companies vans going between Pattaya and Bang Saen. Some drivers were okay, some thought they were in "Fast and Furious". Roll of the dice... wasn't there supposed to be crackdown on intercity vans a few months ago? RIP. As long as majority of Thai people don't care nothing will be done. And I don't see any indication they care or will care.

[/quot

I still don't understand why it is common practice here to "flee the scene" when you can be easily traced either through your job (if on duty at the time) or car registration or whatever. I had always assumed that it must be because they had alcohol taken...but even that doesn't seem to wash as so very few breathalyzer tests seem to be done at the scene of an accident.

RIP to the deceased man.

Edited by dotpoom

78 years old, crossing a highway road (assuming these intercity vans do not go into small soi) alone at 9pm. Could easily get blinded by the headlights of oncoming cars and especially if he was crossing at some random point without proper road lighting.

You are implying that this unfortunate guy's age was a contributing factor to his death. I would remind you that not all 70+ citizens are in their dotage and need to be chaperoned across the road at night. I know many in this age group, including myself, that are far more fit, able and aware than those half their age.

Just yesterday I was driving on a 4 lane road (2 lanes in either direction) which had a number of traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings. During my trip, 2 of the lights turned red for pedestrians to cross, I stopped of course, on the first occasion a large bus just swerved around me and continued driving in excess of 50kmph followed by various other 2 and 4 wheeled vehicles, fortunately nobody was on the crossing at the time, if there had been they would have stood no chance.

On the second occasion I was at the front of the line and stopped both for the red light and to allow a couple to cross the road, because I didn't set off again as soon as they had crossed (the light was still red) a number of cars behind me were honking their horns. I refused to budge until the light turned green, western brainwashing? perhaps, but I prefer to think of it like this. I have 2 young children myself, and it is perfectly feasible that a child could see the lights are green (for pedestrians) and hurry to cross the road before the lights turn. I am able to consider the possible consequences of my actions, many people it seems, are not. The people who are unable to perceive the dangers of driving should not be permitted to drive, simple as that. It is tantamount to giving somebody a loaded weapon with no training on it's safe use.

The way that so many people drive here is at best inconsiderate, and at worst homicidal, IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE. For those who say "that's how it is here, don't complain or leave", there are many things I accept that I do not personally agree with, that is life anywhere in the world. However, if other people's actions endanger my life and that of my family, I reserve the right to be pi$$ed off with them regardless of race, creed or colour.

And that's all i've got to say about that! For now.

[/quot

I still don't understand why it is common practice here to "flee the scene" when you can be easily traced either through your job (if on duty at the time) or car registration or whatever. I had always assumed that it must be because they had alcohol taken...but even that doesn't seem to wash as so very few breathalyzer tests seem to be done at the scene of an accident.

RIP to the deceased man.

It's to avoid being lynched by an angry mob...

They usually give themselves up in the following hours or days.

Edited by manutoo