Immigration House Calls

Dellboy218

Yet another immigration topic. Had a phone call from immigration today who wanted to visit the house to make sure I was aware of my responsibilities of living here like reporting every 90 days. As I am driving around Khon Kaen at present I have put them off for a couple of days. I am just intrigued as to whether any one else is getting house calls.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if it had anything to do with so few paying the 12.5% tax, due on their lease. More often, than not, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so probably no need to worry, but I think technically the tenant is responsible for it.

I was wondering if it had anything to do with so few paying the 12.5% tax, due on their lease. More often, than not, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, so probably no need to worry, but I think technically the tenant is responsible for it.

The tax is directly the owners responsibility however he may pass it on to the tenant depending on the lease agreement. In other words, they can't go after the tenant for failure on the owner to pay taxes. But there is always the TIT factor to take into account. smile.png

It is the owners responsibility to inform the local authorities (Or.Bor.Tor) if the property is leased out or otherwise is put to commercial use and pay this 'rental tax' before the end of February each year. Generally this tax burden in Thailand is passed on to the tenant/ lessee in the lease agreement.

Property law, building and taxes

Becoming frequent here in Phuket and also taking photos of the residence during the inspection. Last week one person was asked to visit the Phuket Immigration Office with more evidence following the Royal Thai Immigration Police visit on the weekend.

I can only guess.....because I have never been visited, but know of others who had been.

Perhaps it is at random? Or possibly immigration wishes to spot check a certain percentage, in order to fill some kind of requirement from higher up.

It would be nice indeed, to hear from others. I just did my 90 day report online. In January, I will be back home in Udon. Right now, I am staying with a friend, while on the road. I am sure it is no trouble to visit/stay with friends and relatives....while keeping a permanent address. Many of us still want to tour Thailand, and stay a few months here and there (retired life!). However, these visitations may occur in our absence from home. I suppose that..the idea for immigration...is that we must always stay home. I used to stay a month or two at apartelles all over thailand. Not practical to change address every two or three months.

Anyone know how long we can leave our homes for, without arousing suspicion? I know many who leave their Thai residence to work back home, or elsewhere. Others...like myself...take extended vacations away from their residence in Thailand.

I was quite dubious on the source of the complaint by a new user on the other thread on immigration. I'm now starting to take it a bit more seriously having spotted this thread. If this really is happening, the ramifications will be significant.

EDIT: But I will await someone I know confirming that our data (names, numbers and dates) is being sold or given to private enterprise before spending more time on it.

They do spot checks for marriage visa extension,friends have had a visit.They took a photo or 2 ,have a chat and are on their way. No wonder there are not enough staff at Promenada and it seems they always come in pairs to double the waste.

Kap Choeng Immigration have been doing this for a while - and putting retirement extensions "under consideration" pending a house visit.

Bkk, Pattaya, and Phuket have been doing this for many years.

Really, for retirement extensions ?

I can only guess.....because I have never been visited, but know of others who had been.

Perhaps it is at random? Or possibly immigration wishes to spot check a certain percentage, in order to fill some kind of requirement from higher up.

It would be nice indeed, to hear from others. I just did my 90 day report online. In January, I will be back home in Udon. Right now, I am staying with a friend, while on the road. I am sure it is no trouble to visit/stay with friends and relatives....while keeping a permanent address. Many of us still want to tour Thailand, and stay a few months here and there (retired life!). However, these visitations may occur in our absence from home. I suppose that..the idea for immigration...is that we must always stay home. I used to stay a month or two at apartelles all over thailand. Not practical to change address every two or three months.

Anyone know how long we can leave our homes for, without arousing suspicion? I know many who leave their Thai residence to work back home, or elsewhere. Others...like myself...take extended vacations away from their residence in Thailand.

You will find this in the law. There is a specified time limit within which an foreigner has to report his "residence," or his host (a householder) does. Someone might know better, but I think it is 24 hours, and it is the host's responsibility be it a commecial enterprise (guesthouse, hotel, et cetera) or a private home. Not so odd as it might seem, really. even though you have your own home in Thailand which you regularly report every 90 days (where you are registered), you still, as a foreigner, have to provide a passport when you stay at a hotel. Of course, all this gets to be a bit onerous, so the law is not enforced to any great degree.

Sounds like a shake down or a possible extortion racket. Be careful and record the officers name and number (If he or she has one)

It certainly does sound like a shake down. If one is subject to one of these visits it would be wise to have a witness or two on hand, as well as a recording device handy.

You will find this in the law. There is a specified time limit within which an foreigner has to report his "residence," or his host (a householder) does. Someone might know better, but I think it is 24 hours, and it is the host's responsibility be it a commecial enterprise (guesthouse, hotel, et cetera) or a private home. Not so odd as it might seem, really. even though you have your own home in Thailand which you regularly report every 90 days (where you are registered), you still, as a foreigner, have to provide a passport when you stay at a hotel. Of course, all this gets to be a bit onerous, so the law is not enforced to any great degree.

Most hotels will accept Thai driving licences

I see...

It would be up to the owner of the house/hotel to report me as staying there.

My worry was not being home if immigration checked in on me. For example, away for a month or two, staying in another town for a while. Nobody does a change of address for that....as your permanent address remains the same. However, in the period of one or two months, immigration might stop by at the address they have on record. After several attempts, they may decide you are not staying there (which is false). This is more about filing a change of permanent address...than about a hotel reporting that I am staying there (not my concern).

I thought I had seen "within 48 hours," as to when you need to report your new address. Wouldn't swear to it.

From the TM28 Form for Aliens to Notify Their Change of Address or Their Stay in the Province over 24 Hours (TM.28)

post-566-0-28865100-1440605683_thumb.jpg

I was told today of someone in my condo in Chiang Mai, who had a visit from Immigration within hours of processing their retirement extension at Promenada.

Why don't you start a topic about it in the Immigration forum. I think that would make the 4th in a week.biggrin.png

I was told today of someone in my condo in Chiang Mai, who had a visit from Immigration within hours of processing their retirement extension at Promenada.

Why don't you start a topic about it in the Immigration forum. I think that would make the 4th in a week.biggrin.png

.... at least they are getting your post-count up! smile.png

Archived