Immigration House Calls

Dellboy218

I have just been to the Promenada at 1300 to enquire about applying for an extension to my RETIREMENT Visa on Monday. The lady said she had spare slots this afternoon so as I happened to have my bank letter with me........ I will be picking my passport up at 1700. For retirement and multiple entry their fee was 3500B, something like 2000 for the Visa and 1500 for the multiple entry. Next to the immigration is a photocopy shop and next to that is G4T. The fact that spare slots were available for a 'walk-in' does tend to suggest collusion.

Just to make absolutely clear so there is no misunderstanding. These charges DO NOT include the cost of the Visa or entry permits.

just who is "the lady"? the Immigration Officer i assume?

I never entered the immigration office at any time. The lady just happened to be the person manning the shop.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems a bit odd - doesn't immigration usually take a photo of you, meaning that you can't avoid going in? That used to be the rule, unless I'm remembering a false memory. Not impossible, I'm sure someone can confirm or knock it on the head.

If it is not the rule now, that means that all visa agents can lodge renewals without the applicant going into immigration. That's a good thing. /s

I gave up on CM Immigration a long time ago. Instead of doing annual marriage extensions, which I did for many years, I prefer to pop over to Savannakhet or wherever once a year. If I ever get close to 90 days without going abroad, I enjoy a quick drive up to Mae Sai. No online reservation queues, no lining up at 5am, no hours and hours in a room full of queasy foreigners, no drawing maps to my house, no pulling junior out of school to attend the office, no need for wife to rearrange her work schedule, no 90 day reports, no 1-month "under consideration" period, and now, apparently, no smarmy visa agents at my doorstep. Yes, it ends up costing a bit more, but overall it's still cheap.

Having said all this, I never had a problem at CM Immigration, and we were always treated well by the officers.

This seems a bit odd - doesn't immigration usually take a photo of you, meaning that you can't avoid going in? That used to be the rule, unless I'm remembering a false memory. Not impossible, I'm sure someone can confirm or knock it on the head.

If it is not the rule now, that means that all visa agents can lodge renewals without the applicant going into immigration. That's a good thing. /s

They took a photo with their phone. Yes it is unusual. Which reinforces my view, rightly or wrongly, that it is all 'in house' which means that sooner or later someone else further up the food chain will take notice.

I gave up on CM Immigration a long time ago. Instead of doing annual marriage extensions, which I did for many years, I prefer to pop over to Savannakhet or wherever once a year. If I ever get close to 90 days without going abroad, I enjoy a quick drive up to Mae Sai. No online reservation queues, no lining up at 5am, no hours and hours in a room full of queasy foreigners, no drawing maps to my house, no pulling junior out of school to attend the office, no need for wife to rearrange her work schedule, no 90 day reports, no 1-month "under consideration" period, and now, apparently, no smarmy visa agents at my doorstep. Yes, it ends up costing a bit more, but overall it's still cheap.

Having said all this, I never had a problem at CM Immigration, and we were always treated well by the officers.

Excellent. Great way to get out of town for a vacation.

Wanting all of the pie could be the downfall of the current enterprise perhaps?

One would hope so....though there seem to be a LOT of people that can't yet see the forest through the trees.

Perhaps a Chiangmai Expats Anonymous for those in denial?

Spreading rumors about visa shop ownership is not a wise idea, in fact could be considered as defamation and in violation of forum rule:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

Archived