Non-imm B Or O Visa

I strongly advise that you use a Lawyer to do this. The Cost should be about 10k Baht

The process is on the wall at both Soi Suan Phlu and also the One Stop Service.

The other way is ot leave the country and apply for the visa with the normal documentationfor a Non-B or a Non-O

I strongly advise that you use a Lawyer to do this. The Cost should be about 10k Baht

The other way is ot leave the country and apply for the visa with the normal documentationfor a Non-B or a Non-O

I was trying to determine if I could avoid the trip outside the country. I live in Pattaya so Soi Suan Plu is a little far...but I will check-in with the imm. office in Jomtien to see if they have any information. Don't see any need to use a lawyer if there is a legal/legit reason for allowing it and one qualifies...only really need lawyers if some tea money is required :o

.......only really need lawyers if some tea money is required :o

I don't agree, rather, if you can find a lawyer who does this work, they will know all the forms and what is required when and where. I was thinking it may save you a lot of time.

As an example my Lawyer does my WP and one year extension in about 90 minutes.

I was trying to determine if I could avoid the trip outside the country. I live in Pattaya so Soi Suan Plu is a little far...but I will check-in with the imm. office in Jomtien to see if they have any information. Don't see any need to use a lawyer if there is a legal/legit reason for allowing it and one qualifies...only really need lawyers if some tea money is required :D

You know something? I've lived with a Thai Lawyer for more than 2 years now and I know most of his friends who are also Lawyers. NONE of them take TEA MONEY!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should listen to the guy who is giving you good advise :o

Calm down guys, I have nothing against lawyers (i was one in a former farangland life). all i meant was that if there is a provision for converting a legit tourist visa into a non-immigrant visa in-country at one of the immigration offices, i wanted to know on what basis they would do this. i have lived in los many years and have done all my visas myself (legally and without any tea-money). it is my feeling that most routine immigration matters can be done without the services of a lawyer or adviser of any type. that was the basis for my stating i didn't think one would need to use their services for this type of procedure. i never mention anything about needing a WP (i don't). i have read the process for obtaining a WP involves several government departments, trips here and there, and lots of paperwork. if one needed one, it might make sense engage a professional for this purpose, however, for a simple visa category conversion, i think this would be overkill :o

Dunno about converting a tourist visa to a non-immigrant 'O' visa, but there is a ton of paperwork required to convert to a non-immigrant 'B' visa. This subject came up earlier in the year when the Thai consulate in Penang tightened up their requirements for issuing a non-'B' visa. Even with Penang's stricter required documentation, dealing with them still looked easier to me than trying to convert a visa within Thailand. :o

it is my feeling that most routine immigration matters can be done without the services of a lawyer or adviser of any type.

Would certainly agree. And not just immigration. We saved a bundle by *NOT* using a lawyer when we recorded our lease at the Land Office when compared to what a friend paid for similar property (who, besides paying a lawyer fee, paid way too much to the Land Office based on a suggested fair rent from the lawyer. We just asked the Land Office agent what a fair rent would be, and his lowball figure knocked our socks off). Don't forget: Lawyers in Thailand need only an undergraduate degree to be called a lawyer.

That said, I'm sure a complex situation requires a good lawyer in Thailand. But a simple situation does not -- which also precludes hiring a bad lawyer and turning the simple situation into an expensive mess.

Pattaya Immigration certainly is equipped to turn a tourist visa into a Non Imm visa, if you qualify (if you haven't already, see this thread, which shows Pattaya's ability to convert (and no need for a lawyer):

Converting to Non Imm

But to qualify, it appears you'll need to meet all the requirements for either a retirement extension; support extension; or WP. There are no magic Non Imms if you're just another tourist.

Certainly would chat with Pattaya Immigration before hiring a lawyer, however.

Good luck.

Pattaya Immigration certainly is equipped to turn a tourist visa into a Non Imm visa, if you qualify (if you haven't already, see this thread, which shows Pattaya's ability to convert (and no need for a lawyer):

Converting to Non Imm

But to qualify, it appears you'll need to meet all the requirements for either a retirement extension; support extension; or WP. There are no magic Non Imms if you're just another tourist.

Agree, many foreigners either don't know where/how or are just affraied to deal with gov't offices/officials in Thailand. Of course, there may be some language difficulties (take along Thai friend or paid translator) but usually all the things that foreigners pay "lawyers" or other Thai intermediaries to do for them can be cone themselves at the relevant gov't offices. Usually at much reduced cost. These include, like you say, house and land registrations, car registrations, drivers licence applications, etc. Once, had a friend who had a new motorcycle to register and the shop wanted like B7000 to do it (and sat on it for months) and he finally took-back the paperwork and went down to the office himself and the cost was something like B1000!!!

Thanks for encouragement and like but the link doesn't seem to be right (won't open). Do you have it again. :o

I was trying to determine if I could avoid the trip outside the country. I live in Pattaya so Soi Suan Plu is a little far...but I will check-in with the imm. office in Jomtien to see if they have any information. Don't see any need to use a lawyer if there is a legal/legit reason for allowing it and one qualifies...only really need lawyers if some tea money is required :D

You know something? I've lived with a Thai Lawyer for more than 2 years now and I know most of his friends who are also Lawyers. NONE of them take TEA MONEY!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you should listen to the guy who is giving you good advise :o

What a funny post!!!

Who should give tea money for the lawer?? The lawer is the person who gives the tea money, not the person who receives it.

And most do that, else they are lausy lawers, its their job......

Not sure if this matters, or if it's just technical nit-picking, but the OP asks about converting a tourist visa, and my situation (in the referenced thread) was about applying for Non-Immigrant O visa from a 30-day passport stamp.

The process for a tourist visa may be similar (same?), but I just wanted to point out that there MIGHT be a difference, "just in case."

wp,

Understand. I'm assuming that if Pattaya is equipped to convert 30-day stamps to Non Imm visas, they certainly should be equipped to convert Tourist visas to Non Imms, a process that's been in effect for several years. The only difference I see is using a TM.87 vice TM.86.

Since this seems logical, it probably can't be done. :o

I have seen references here to converting tourist visas to Non-Imm O and B visas. Can any give me information for what the qualifications (basis) for these convesions are and what paperwork they want to see.

Hi hope its not too late. To convert from tourist visa to non immigrant visa you must have at least 21 days left before your visa expire. Check out this link and select required documents. You can find out all documents and fees to change visa.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php