Anti-corruption Body To Act On Unusually Rich Politicians

george

From the content of this thread one might get the impression that Thaksin and the TRT henchmen were the first to be involved in corruption.Actually Thaksin's sin was not so much corruption but altering the playing field to suit his business interests.Although there is a hanging mob on this forum,the unvarnished truth is that Thaksin was a genuinely skilled businessman, not just a pig at the trough.Anyway any long term observer of the Thai business/political scene knows the problem can be found in every quarter, and I mean EVERY quarter.So I have some doubts whether any investigation now will be vigorously pursued, unless of course its just going to be a political witch hunt.

yes! everyone here talks like thaksin invented corruption in thailand. what is with you people?

i said it before and i will say it again: thaksin wasn't ousted because he was any more or less "corrupt" than anyone else that has held that office in the history of this country; that is a load of crap from the powers-that-be and a convenient excuse to oust him and emasculate his election-winning party.

he was ousted for 2 reasons: 1) he out-smarted and out-politicked a lot of powerful people who don't like to lose, and 2) his reaching out to the poor masses upcountry simulataneously made him a democratic success (which certain people here obviously can't live with although they pay such great lip-service to the concept of "restoring democracy") and alienated the outnumbered upper- and middle-classes.

don't hate the player; hate the game.

Well said!

We have discussed this many times over the past few years on other threads.

The balance of power has been moving towards the poorer people of this country, though very slowly and not very far. Much of the middle classes make their money off the backs of the people of the North and North East and many in this country want them back where they belong ie. producing rice at 10baht per kilo for a series of middle men to mark up to around 300 baht per kilo at point of sale.

Add to this, the amount of farang husbands maintaining and supporting wives and families in this region and you have a reason for the recent visa regulation changes. Basically to the folk on the Visa thread, we have given our money to the wrong class of person.

However, Thaksin whilst not inventing corruption, was totally out of order with many of his schemes and scams and I hate the guy as he let down the people of Thailand that really needed him.

He had the chance to really be somebody, but he chose headlong greed instead.

Basically to the folk on the Visa thread, we have given our money to the wrong class of person.

Wow what a fascinating and paranoid point, don't want to think too long and to deeply about this one!! However my wifes family passed for middle class round here before she met me. So I'm not so guilty of fomenting social revolution as some others..... Must annoy the Puu Yai Baan tho when Chao Nah Lek's daughter suddenly becomes richer and higher status than he is. Hadn't thought about that one before. Status is a double edged sharp implement round here, isn't it?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said the few posters who made the comment that Taksin DID NOT invent corruption.

Taksin was a very astute businessman who played the game as it was being played when he made his money.

Many of you have such a short memory or perhaps are unaware that there have been many instances of a panel investiagting politicians for unusual wealth. This is not a first, nor is Taksin the first PM to be investigated.

NEWWORKS talked about a division in society. It is still and will for a time remain in the society. The coup did not help.

Something about all poppies.

So many of posters here get all their news from the papers and from shop talk.

So informed and so knowledgable.

Basically to the folk on the Visa thread, we have given our money to the wrong class of person.

Wow what a fascinating and paranoid point, don't want to think too long and to deeply about this one!! However my wifes family passed for middle class round here before she met me. So I'm not so guilty of fomenting social revolution as some others..... Must annoy the Puu Yai Baan tho when Chao Nah Lek's daughter suddenly becomes richer and higher status than he is. Hadn't thought about that one before. Status is a double edged sharp implement round here, isn't it?

It certainly is. Status is everything to a lot of people and the poor farmer girls coming to BKK, buying cars, bikes, furnishing houses and going too beauty parlors really rankles.

I should reign myself in a bit somedays though as the vast majority of all Thais of all classes are very friendly, helpful and fun to be around. When the rains come, I spend too long on here and do get paranoid.

Swagman made a good point about shop talk and reporting. Whilst Thaksin was a bad lot and had to go, we need to remember that he didn't own all the media and some of them indeed have their own ajenda. A lot of us tend to focus on negative issues and like things to be black and white as well, as its un-cool to be positive and supportive in many of our home countries.

The CDRM do come over as having the country's best interests at heart and the divisions in society were becoming noticable. If they recover only the unpaid tax from the Thaksins, they will have achieved a lot.

Gotta say it, I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world.

don't hate the player; hate the game.

Well said!

Much of the middle classes make their money off the backs of the people of the North and North East and many in this country want them back where they belong ie. producing rice at 10baht per kilo for a series of middle men to mark up to around 300 baht per kilo at point of sale.

Don't hate the player; hate the game.

:o

NCCC is preparing to reveal assets and liabilities of the former cabinet members within this Oct

National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) is preparing to reveal assets and liabilities of the former cabinet members under the supervision of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra within this October.

Following the Council of National Security’s (CNS) announcement to end roles of all interim ministers,NCCC President Panthep Klanarongran (ปานเทพ กล้าณรงค์ราญ), has reminded all of them to hand their lists of assets to NCCC within October 18th.

He said that an official meeting will be held today to focus on two key issues, implementation of corruption suppression and request for approval on revealing assets and liabilities of members of the former government.

Mr. Panthep added that he will meet with NCCC officials to hand policies after the meeting at 14.00 hours.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 October 2006

Former Surathani Senator submits documents indicating corruption in 8 projects

Former Surat Thani (สุราษฎร์ธานี) Senator Ananta Dalodom (อนันต์ ดาโลดม) has submitted documents that allege corruption activities in eight projects to the Asset Inspection Panel, while believing that the officials can use this evidence to bring culprits to justice.

Mr. Ananta has handed all documents to Asset Inspection Panel Spokesman Sak Kosangrueng (สัก กอแสงเรือง), who have been requested to help scrutinizing the eight projects, including the construction of dams in the provinces of Rayong and Trat, the procurement of fertilizers in 2002, the longan scandals in 2002 and 2004, the distribution of 1.68 tons of rice in 2004, the Bangkok Fashion Festival, the pledges of paddy fields from 2001 to 2005, and the organization of the Royal Flora Ratchapruek 2006 . He is confident that those documents will help facilitate officials on investigating on the projects.

Mr. Udom Fuangfung (อุดม เฟื่องฟุ้ง), a subcommittee of the asset inspection panel, attended a meeting at the Office of Auditor General this afternoon; however, he refused to talk to the media. He just informed his subcommittee members comprised of Mr. Banjerd Singkaneti (บรรเจิด สิงคเนติ) and Mrs. Saowanee Ausawaroj (เสาวนีย์ อัศวโรจน์).

In the meantime, Mr. Kaewsan Atipothi (แก้วสรร อติโพธิ), the secretary of the subcommittee, traveled to the Office of the Auditor General to prepare documents for the meeting on Monday, while saying that the panel has full authority on calling evidence or interrogation from both of private and government sectors.

NCCC sets Oct 20th as the day for revealing assets and liabilities of the former cabinet

The National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) has set October 20th as the day for revealing the list of assets and liabilities of the former Cabinet under the supervision of ex-Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. In the meantime, the asset records of the former interim Cabinet members will be disclosed on November 17th.

The NCCC will reveal all assets of the Cabinet members on October 20th at 30th floor Thanabhum (ธนภูมิ ) Building on New Petchaburi (เพชรบุรีตัดใหม่) Road, as well as distributing documents and VCDs containing all facts related to the matter to people and press members.

Besides, NCCC Spokesman Klanarong Chanthik (กล้าณรงค์ จันทิก) revealed the result of the official meeting today that it has set the work directions to suppress corruption by planning to cooperate with the Council of National Security for better implementation.

As for asset revealing case of interim cabinet, he said that it will be revealed after October 18th. He said that the NCCC will observe all details of their assets and liabilities and if they find any ambiguous matter, they will interrogate that person for clarification. He added that if the person is proven to be guilty, the NCCC will file a lawsuit against the person or ban him/her from politics for five years.

The last coup was when the "buffet government" of PM Chatchai was overthrown in '92. It was named a buffet govt. because of the rampant kickbacks; dodgy deals; and general free-for-all attitude of the pigs in the trough at that time. Guess what? Most of those dodgy guys are still in politics... :o

If anything is to ever change for the better in Thai politics, it will need more that a military coup. It will need a massive re-education of the Thai public and awareness of the massive waste and damage that corruption does to the country. Thaksin's mob were just more sophisticated, using policy-orientated corruption to rob the coffers. The law is always ten years behind modern industry and business here anyway. A massive clear-out of the police and government officers would also be a very brave but necessary political step.

Has anyone got the political will to start overturning the rotten apple-carts? I doubt it.

Education is the start of everything.

The law is always ten years behind modern industry and business here anyway.

The law, IMO, is always playing catchup EVERYWHERE in the world. Unless you're one of those folks that believe that the good guys always win, like in the movies.

:o