Having a bank account in USA question about ATM card reneval etc....

I think to move my bank from EU to USA.....

I am EU citizen and I will not be leable to pay tax anymore in EU.

So I wonder if it is not best to just open usa bank account and use paypal on it?

But how it is with ATM wxpiration card, do you need to go to USA every few years to pick up new ATM card or they can send it to Thailand?

Which USA bank do you recommend?

Can I just bring cash to USA lets say 30000 usd and just store it in a bank?

Anything else I should think about?
What if USA clients pay me for internet work like webdesign?

Do I need to pay a tax to USA, I am not a resident of USA

I stay in USA only 1 or 2 month per year or less

In general, some banks will mail you your renewal ATM card, but many won't mail you your first or initial ATM card. Another poster who uses Etrade as I do confirmed that recently. You may have to get your first card in the USA. Now some institutions do support international addresses better. I suggest you investigate Charles Schwab.

If you bring in 10,000 or more USD cash equivalent, you have to report it. No idea how good those records are or what is done with the information. Details about getting paid can be tricky. Is your US employer going to do it properly with taxes, social security, green card, H-1 visas etc? Will your client treat it like a Purchase Order and not do anything with the IRS? I defer to international experts on those issues

my clients are businesses or individuals. All the payments go through paypal. And I am not a resident of USA, I dont have a green card.

So maybe USA is a bad idea....

I will open bank account personally for sure, and pick up my atm card, but for all the other atm cards, when they expire, will they send it to Thailand?

I think it is safe to just do paypal to my usa bank and then withdraw via ATM in Thailand?

I mean everybody is doing in similar way via Payoneer, which is a NY bank....

My clients will of course report the payment to me to Their IRS, why would they hide it? But it is their job to do it.....

It is really convinient to do it this way. Or a Singapore bank, because I dont want to receive payment from worldwide income to Thai paypal and then withdraw to Thai bank, maybe I will have to pay tax.....

and if USA want some piece of the action of my money, let them take what is left in bank account, but why would they, if I am not a resident at all.

Have you considered opening an account at Bangkok Bank in New York. You could certainly have a USD account there, possibly a EUR account, and surely a THB account as well.

The NY branch does not open retail accounts; it's strictly a wholesale/large corporation branch. However, you can still use the NY branch ACH/ABA routing number to transfer money via ACH from the U.S. to your in-Thailand Bangkok Bank account....no need for an account at the NY branch...the NY branch only serves as middleman/correspondent bank in this funds transfer role. See this webpage for what the NY branch does.

Archived