Thailand's tourism shrinks by 2%-3% in first half of 2015

webfact

Thailand's tourism shrinks by 2%-3% in first half of 2015

BANGKOK, 25 August 2015 (NNT) – The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has admitted that domestic tourism shrank by 2-3 percent in the first half of this year due to lower public purchasing power caused by tourists’ careful spending.

Speaking on the slowdown of domestic tourism, Anupharp Thirarath, Deputy TAT Governor for Domestic Marketing said the TAT will join hands with hotel operators, tourism agencies, low-cost airlines and other business allies to hold campaigns to boost the purchasing power of domestic tourists in Q4.

The low-cost airlines, in particular, would issue tour packages at special prices to encourage prospective travellers to make an immediate decision to travel. The campaign is expected to kick off this October at the beginning of the high season under Fiscal 2016.

The TAT has set its goal to draw THB800,000 million in tourism earnings this year, with a recovery to be seen in the last quarter of 2015.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-08-25 footer_n.gif

Domestic tourism shranks

17-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Domestic tourism has slowed down in the first half of this year as spending by the people becoming more cautious.
This was what the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) revealed yesterday.

NNT reported that TAT deputy governor Anupharp Thirarath said that domestic tourism declined by 2-3 percent in the first half of this year due to lower public purchasing power.

He attributed the shrinking purchasing power to the people’s cautious spending.

He said the TAT would cooperate with hotel operators, tourism agencies, low-cost airlines and other business allies to launch promotion campaigns to boost domestic tourism in the fourth quarter.

Meanwhile low-cost airlines, in particular, will roll out tour packages at special prices to encourage travellers to make an immediate decision to travel. The campaign is expected to kick off in October at the beginning of the high season of Fiscal 2016.

The TAT has set target for 800 billion baht tourism earnings this year, with a recovery to be seen in the fourth quarter of 2015.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/domestic-tourism-shranks

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-08-25

Nooooooooooooooo! sad.png

I believed everything was ok, that all the indexes were fine and it was go go GO! Now they admit that they have been fudging figures, deceiving, deluding me the diligent reader Who Wants To Believe!.

I am left with a profound sense of betrayal, loss and alienation from TAT.

Advice for TAT,go after the HiSo,high spending tourists,Oh sorry you

tried that,back to the low cost Chinese market,to up the figure's,and

as far as the domestic market goes,according to another report,Thais

are up to their eyes in debt,so they might not be booking holidays,so

what to do now?

regards Worgeordie

Wait for tomorrow's news announcing a rebound :>

----------- -----------

Even as I am posting this reply...... TAT is broadcasting a notice on Thai television in 3 languages (English, Chinese, and Thai) that Thai tourism is "returning to normal".

now.

Wait for tomorrow's news announcing a rebound :>

----------- -----------

Even as I am posting this reply...... TAT is broadcasting a notice on Thai television in 3 languages (English, Chinese, and Thai) that Thai tourism is "returning to normal".

now.

They must be in real deep crapola.. smile.png

Edited by kotsak

And tomorrow the Junta will announce tourist numbers at an all-time high point and hotels struggling to find enough rooms for all the extra visitors to Thailand now totalling in excess of 40 million and luckily they managed to squeeze them all into a Kosan Road guest house.

It is impossible to track domestic tourism. If I drive from Khon Kaen to Chaiyaphum and stay in three different guesthouses in three different locations, how does TAT know? I will be flying to Bangkok next week and hiring a taxi to take me to Rayong to stay at a guesthouse for 3 weeks. How does TAT know? Simple. They don't.

Domestic tourism shranks

17-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Domestic tourism has slowed down in the first half of this year as spending by the people becoming more cautious.

NNT reported that TAT deputy governor Anupharp Thirarath said that domestic tourism declined by 2-3 percent in the first half of this year due to lower public purchasing power.

He said the TAT would cooperate with hotel operators, tourism agencies, low-cost airlines and other business allies to launch promotion campaigns to boost domestic tourism in the fourth quarter.

Meanwhile low-cost airlines, in particular, will roll out tour packages at special prices to encourage travellers to make an immediate decision to travel. The campaign is expected to kick off in October at the beginning of the high season of Fiscal 2016.

The TAT has set target for 800 billion baht tourism earnings this year, with a recovery to be seen in the fourth quarter of 2015.

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-08-25

Domestic tourism shranks

17-wpcf_728x413.jpg

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2015-08-25

2% to 3% is in my opinion a gross understatement. The fact that they are admitting any slow down at all is a sign that things are bad but they won't tell you just how bad.

I live in Pattaya and maybe it has been hit harder then some areas but it seems far more then a slight drop of 2% to 3% to me.. The restaurants, bars and shopping malls are empty and have been so for a long time.

I spoke to a restaurant owner who has been here for many years and he told me that his business was down over 40%. I also spoke to the garage that service my motorbike and he said there are just no customers this year and he is barely surviving,,,

I wish the government would just stop chasing people around from the previous government, stop with the populist policies and silly statements and just focus on getting the country on track to a recovery. Thailand is falling behind neighbouring countries for sure and losing lucrative contracts as well as tourism, it needs to wake up fast.

Nooooooooooooooo! sad.png

I believed everything was ok, that all the indexes were fine and it was go go GO! Now they admit that they have been fudging figures, deceiving, deluding me the diligent reader Who Wants To Believe!.

I am left with a profound sense of betrayal, loss and alienation from TAT.

Not to worry they will redeem themselves in the near future. What I really question is the down 2-3% numbers. Think they realized that the cat was out of the bag and the time had come to tell the truth a wee little bit(fess up). I wish they would provide the scale that they use to provide the glossed over numbers for the Thai people. They do not care about the rest of us as we can still add 2 plus 2 and get 4 not 5. I guess we should feel sorry for TAT if the numbers are not up they go down hard.

Advice for TAT,go after the HiSo,high spending tourists,Oh sorry you

tried that,back to the low cost Chinese market,to up the figure's,and

as far as the domestic market goes,according to another report,Thais

are up to their eyes in debt,so they might not be booking holidays,so

what to do now?

regards Worgeordie

The way the market is collapsing in China is really scary. Even the CCP's interventions do no seem to slow things down. I guess the little guy is seeing that papa Li has lost control. Factoring in stock market loses I think Chinese tourism numbers are on hold for a few years. There are still other shoes to drop there.

STOP SCAMING TOURISTS !!! For every one scamed here they tell all their friend back in their country which then just NOT even bother to come here for the first time ( jetskis, police distortion for tea money, higher entry prices for foreigners at beaches, parks which comes down to discrimination) and MAYBE the tourists numbers will pick up....

Westerners are NOT stupid TAT !!! Get your house in order !!!

Thai gov were in for Russia then the ruble crapped out. Next enters China which as we know is having troubles. Which authoritarian gov and its masses is going to be courted next.?

Personally I think they get...or maybe in this case, don't get...what they deserve. I first came to Thailand in 2002 so I admit I am a relative newcomer but in the "early days" I don't remember ever seeing any Chinese or Russian tourists (at least not large numbers). It was mostly non-Russian Europeans, Americans and Canadians, Japanese, Aussies, and a sprinkling of other nationalities. I remember the first time I saw Russian tourists was at Utapao when a charter plane from Russia had just arrived. And Chinese tourists stating coming fast and furious to Chiang Mai after a Chinese comedy movie was filmed here in 2013. Now it seems to me that the Thais have dropped everything to draw both in and subsequently became heavily relied upon their tourist baht (even though when you talk to many Thais they say they don't like dealing with either of them). And in doing so, they have somewhat neglected some of the nationalities that were constantly coming here long before the Russian/Chinese boom.

Whaaaat? What happened to all those wonderful reports of tourism being up 25-30% year over year?

I am surprised that they will admit a - 2-3%...makes me wonder if that figure is accurate...

Need to start offering free lunches at the 7/11 for the Chinese, free babies to take home for the Japanese...and free internet scamming services to the Nigerians...

2 - 3 % is nowhere near the true figure.

Living in Jomtien I have seen that it is pretty well empty of tourists and Pattaya also.

Loads of empty hotel rooms and apartments.

From what I hear from friends in Phuket it is the same.

Makes a change to see a negetive figure though, can't remember ever seeing that from TAT.