Thai army chief defends use of conscripts as domestic workers

webfact

Whether they call them servant soldiers or service soldiers doesn't matter. There is nothing "military" in what these kids are asked to do do. This is a carry-over from the corvee labor mentality of old and should be stopped. If these officers need servants, gardeners, etc, they should hire and pay them as employees like everyone else (should).

The soldiers volunteer for the positions, can't you read?

And you obviously believe everything you read.

LOL, how typical. I do enjoy seeing hypocrisy when the culprit is unaware they just bared their @rse.

I'll tell you what : next time let us know which selective parts of the stories you personally choose to believe and which you choose not to.

That should give the rest of us a good laugh if nothing else. I think we could predict what they are before you even tell us.

I've met one of these 'servants' and he was fiercely loyal to his 'master'. He looked at him as a father and if any of the 'servants' family got sick or he was in trouble, the 'master' would help them through it by his position. He was a real thug though - if anyone upset his master in a bar or whatever, the slave would beat them up. He even said he shot someone when he was younger (before he joined the Army). I didn't venture into his shirt colour, but I think a career in the UDD would fit him fine after he left.

And I'll bet there are large numbers of quietly seething youngsters who would cut their lords and masters' throats if they thought they could get away with it. Just because a few slaves love their chains does not make the system legitimate.

As for the UDD flapdoodle, You just can't help yourself, can you? Why not mention the amnesty bill seeing as this topic is not about that either?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whether they call them servant soldiers or service soldiers doesn't matter. There is nothing "military" in what these kids are asked to do do. This is a carry-over from the corvee labor mentality of old and should be stopped. If these officers need servants, gardeners, etc, they should hire and pay them as employees like everyone else (should).

LOL, how typical. I do enjoy seeing hypocrisy when the culprit is unaware they just bared their @rse.

I'll tell you what : next time let us know which selective parts of the stories you personally choose to believe and which you choose not to.

That should give the rest of us a good laugh if nothing else. I think we could predict what they are before you even tell us.

I've met one of these 'servants' and he was fiercely loyal to his 'master'. He looked at him as a father and if any of the 'servants' family got sick or he was in trouble, the 'master' would help them through it by his position. He was a real thug though - if anyone upset his master in a bar or whatever, the slave would beat them up. He even said he shot someone when he was younger (before he joined the Army). I didn't venture into his shirt colour, but I think a career in the UDD would fit him fine after he left.

And I'll bet there are large numbers of quietly seething youngsters who would cut their lords and masters' throats if they thought they could get away with it. Just because a few slaves love their chains does not make the system legitimate.

As for the UDD flapdoodle, You just can't help yourself, can you? Why not mention the amnesty bill seeing as this topic is not about that either?

Slaves don't get paid! All this talk of slaves is just ridiculous.

"I've met one of these 'servants' and he was fiercely loyal to his 'master'. He looked at him as a father and if any of the 'servants' family got sick or he was in trouble, the 'master' would help them through it by his position. He was a real thug though - if anyone upset his master in a bar or whatever, the slave would beat them up. He even said he shot someone when he was younger (before he joined the Army). I didn't venture into his shirt colour, but I think a career in the UDD would fit him fine after he left."

What a nice story. Did you write it all by yourself? You even got a jab in at the reds. Well done, John!!

EnglishJohn, the comic genius that keeps us well entertained.clap2.gif

Last year a regional Army commander (General) lamented that 50% of the conscripts were illiterate, and 50% drug users (some overlap presumably).

Obviously these lads cannot be useful for much other than domestic work.

So your all for "corruption" then.. Oh lordy!

Not applicable to me, I wouldn't raise a son here. Just advising on what reasonably educated, moderately affluent Thais do.

Are you in the habit of believing "a regional Army commander (General)"? Perhaps one ought not.

Thailand is in many, many, aspects still living in the dark middle ages! That mainly because of the so-called 'elites' (old and new) who are also the ones living like leeches, from the blood and sweat of the regular Thai population. All these parasites should be kicked out, old nobility, 'Chinese merchants', higher civil servants, and, of course, the brown and green mafia organisations! Not in the next lifetime I'd say, as they have together a firmer grip over the whole country than 20 years ago. But one day it will come, and when not through evolution, than r-evolution it could alas well be. Nobody there yet, rather nobody left, to start it up and support it, IMO part of the 'collateral damage' created by the wich hunt organised by the CIA after WW2, wherein anyone from bright red to pale pink, was considered an enemy of the country, and had to be 'eliminated', in one way or another, by military, police, murder squads, and courts!

Your comment reminded me, and I can't remember where I read it, the first Communist act of insurrection in Thailand didn't happen until six months after the CIA had initiated their program of "aid" against Communist insurgency. I think it was 1958, which would put in in Field Marshall Sarit's tenure. Lots of general and admirals have gotten unusually wealthy since then. Was it earlier? In the time of Field Marshall Phibulsongkhram, perhaps? I remember I was surprised how early it was, but we had already started constructing highways in Thailand by 1953, indicating we intended to use it as a strategic forward base in Southeast Asia.

Are you in the habit of believing "a regional Army commander (General)"? Perhaps one ought not.

Not sure how to respond. I guess I believe Second Army Region commander Lt-Gen. Tawat Sookplang, as he was widely quoted in the press in December, 2014. I can only assume that he is both qualified and informed on the subject? But you seem to be inferring that he was lying?

My wife's nephew has recently completed his 'National Service' - after basic training he spent the remainder of his two years serving at tables in his boss's wife's restaurant. From what he has told us it is common practice, if not standard practice, for soldiers, once they have completed basic training, to be given three choices:

1. Work for theirCO in whatever capacity he deems fit

2. Go home but remain enlisted so his CO can claim the soldier's salary OR

3. Remain in barracks and have to do whatever is required of them

My wife's Thai son is now about to go to army camp and he is resigned to the same fate as his cousin. I try to persuade him to request some sort of army trade training so he comes out with marketable skills, eg motor mechanic, but like most others he doesn't want to 'make waves'.

Just the same applies to prisoners. I know of one who is working in a restauraunt instead of staying in a thai jail. He spent about 6 months inside and then has not darkened a cell door since. He has 4 more years of working to go.

As a naval officer in the 1960's in the U.K military I had a personal assistant who attended to my needs.My counterparts in the army had their ''batmen'' to assist them.

I see nothing wrong inthe matter.

As a taxpayer here I am not concerned, I wonder though just how many of the critics actually pay income and business taxes tax here thus of course they would be justified in voicing their opinions concerning the way their tax contributions are used.

Yes we know you pay V.A.T. like all of us here so that argument is not really valid.

Because you had a slave in the 60's it must be OK then... :)

Batboys or battyboys?

When we served as officers in the UK we all had Batman. They had to serve on as so what's the difference in Thailand

Not sure how to respond. I guess I believe Second Army Region commander Lt-Gen. Tawat Sookplang, as he was widely quoted in the press in December, 2014. I can only assume that he is both qualified and informed on the subject? But you seem to be inferring that he was lying?

I do not know anything about this chap and will not say he was lying. But the default whenever any Army person makes any statement in the LOS is he's lying. The burden is on them to show truth.

Unbelievable the lack of historical knowledge from the people that come to this site or then it could also just be selective memory. Now the chaining up part ok, that is definitely Asian in response to whatever the service sailor did to upset the officer and is harsh however, the practice of using conscripts as domestics was most certainly used by the officer class in both the US and UK armed forces in the 1960's and 70's because I saw it used at the time. It was accepted common practice. No wall chainings I am aware of though then. Now if that has changed there, which I would be very skeptical that it has entirely, then so be it. Most militaries in the world use conscripts in such roles as domestics, cooks and office staff, etc. in officers houses. Perhaps the West has completely done away with that, if so then very noble. Most the rest still do. Personally though, I sure would have rather been a service domestic on some base with 3 hots and a cot everyday than humping a weapon around in the mud had I been given the choice. Pretty certain all things being equal these guys probably would as well.

Sorry, but you have no right to speak for them.

But you do? What tripe!

Please quote back to me every word of where I said I had the right to speak for them. Or apologize for your insult.

When we served as officers in the UK we all had Batman. They had to serve on as so what's the difference in Thailand

the difference is that in the UK you too were subject to Milaitary discipline as was the soldier. If you chained the soldier to anything you would definitely be subject to court martial.

The only people allowed Batmen in our battalion was the CO, and occasions the Tara (RSM) they had the dross from battalion serving in the officers mess, and when you had defaulters ( blokes on charges, or in the jail".

Staff officers, those above Lt Colonel in most armed forces would more then likely have their Batmen.

Retired officers shouldn't be able to have this service, which I believe in this case he's a retired officer?

I can accept that many countries militaries might have a system like this, but i would presume (and stand to be corrected) that these lackeys would normally carry out their work in assisting with menial tasks, boot licking in a military setting, not being abscond at an officers house doing their private chore around their grounds and house.

I would ask why the army has this seemingly special privilege of having taxpayer funded lackeys doing their house chores which every other civil servant has to pay for, although on publicised incomes even the higher echelons would struggle to afford to much domestic help.

I just find the whole thing strange where you have compulsory service, and then they spend their service polishing lawns, trimming hedges and other more noble pursuits it seems. Surely it makes a mockery of the whole system, especially more so when they are being paid for it, or the boss is being paid!!!!

BS! An army that has more generals than that of any developed nation has illustrated the most compelling reason for Thailand's persistence with conscription - and a damned good reason to abolish it. No wonder the police chief is so enthusiastic to have conscripts subordinated to the police.

Yes, I can read. I can also sort out the reality from the cute description. Do you know what coercion is? How about misappropriation?

The reality is that if a young man does not "volunteer" do be the slave labour of a military senior, that young man does not have a pleasant time. Repeated dangerous assignments or heavy duties are the fates of those who do not volunteer.

These young people are conscripted for national service. Their "care and pay" is provided by the people of Thailand. Where do these military "officers" get off taking these conscripts for their own personal use? Taking resources and assets that do not belong to you is termed misappropriation. Do you not understand that this practice is wrong? These kids have no say in the matter. They are forced into slavery and have zero rights.

Another sterling example of what the military is in Thailand. The great self appointed leader of the nation says that he is against corruption. Well then, General Prime Minister, please start with your own organization. Stop the misuse of labour and the misuse of Thai taxpayers money.

I know someone's son who was given the cushy job of cleaning and managing the house of the camp commander. It was considered a very cushy deal.

Obviously this poor conscripts experience is very different and absolutely unacceptable.

If he's retired how come he can still have access to this benefit?

As a naval officer in the 1960's in the U.K military I had a personal assistant who attended to my needs.My counterparts in the army had their ''batmen'' to assist them.

As a taxpayer here I am not concerned, I wonder though just how many of the critics actually pay income and business taxes tax here thus of course they would be justified in voicing their opinions concerning the way their tax contributions are used.

Yes we know you pay V.A.T. like all of us here so that argument is not really valid.

Did your 'batman' paint and decorate your privately owned house whilst you were living 'on base' in your free military accommodation? I may be wrong, but probably not! I live in Sattahip, where there are several military bases and the Trainee base near Bang Saray. All conscripts are identifiable by their common dress of pink T shirt and black shorts, and they are often seen working on the military controlled beach and golf course (where farangs pay 3 x Thai price to play). When not confined to the military bases the conscripts can be seen doing all manner of works to officers' private homes, eg painting, tree felling, welding and fitting gates, building walls etc, ALL AT TAXPAYERS' EXPENSE. I live in a soi where every other home is owned by military personnel who take advantage of this 'perk' on a reguar basis.

It's easy to see why the Thai military is so over-staffed, particularly at the top-end, when there are tax free benefits readily available.

Call your MP and complain. Using conscripts to cut golf courses is right at the bottom end of misuse of taxpayers money. Someone has to cut the grass in a barracks.....

Did your 'batman' paint and decorate your privately owned house whilst you were living 'on base' in your free military accommodation? I may be wrong, but probably not! I live in Sattahip, where there are several military bases and the Trainee base near Bang Saray. All conscripts are identifiable by their common dress of pink T shirt and black shorts, and they are often seen working on the military controlled beach and golf course (where farangs pay 3 x Thai price to play). When not confined to the military bases the conscripts can be seen doing all manner of works to officers' private homes, eg painting, tree felling, welding and fitting gates, building walls etc, ALL AT TAXPAYERS' EXPENSE. I live in a soi where every other home is owned by military personnel who take advantage of this 'perk' on a reguar basis.

It's easy to see why the Thai military is so over-staffed, particularly at the top-end, when there are tax free benefits readily available.

Call your MP and complain. Using conscripts to cut golf courses is right at the bottom end of misuse of taxpayers money. Someone has to cut the grass in a barracks.....

They are armed forces golf courses!!