Somkid's economic team has to hit the ground running

webfact

THAI TALK
Somkid's economic team has to hit the ground running

Suthichai Yoon
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The day he was ousted as deputy premier for economic affairs, MR Pridiyathorn Devakula, apparently upset, publicly rejected Premier Prayut Chan-o-cha's invitation to become one of his advisers.

"I don't like the 'divide and rule' practice. I would prefer to let Mr Somkid [Jatusripitak] work without being constantly picked on by the PM's advisers - as was the case for me," he said, in an unusually defiant statement.

There was little doubt that Pridiyathorn was aiming his criticism at the premier who, in turn, wasted no time hitting back: "If he doesn't want to be my adviser, let it be."

It was certainly not a warm parting of ways between the prime minister and one of the most visible faces of his economic team in the Cabinet.

Pridiyathorn didn't elaborate on who was using the "divide and rule" policy against him - or how. But to most observers, there was little doubt about the purpose of his message. The deputy premier was unhappy that he hadn't been consulted - or even informed - about the Cabinet reshuffle.

Meanwhile General Prayut, though he didn't say it in so many words, must have been highly frustrated by reports that his deputy premier for economic affairs was telling a group of leading business leaders over a private dinner that the top man in government was talking a lot about something he wasn't really quite familiar with - the country's economy.

Pridiyathorn denied having made that statement. "How could I have said that about the premier?" he asked reporters. Earlier, the premier had reportedly shown a remarkable degree of calm in saying he hadn't asked Pridiyathorn about the story - and that he had no reason to doubt his denial.

But it was obvious that things weren't going well between the two, with the premier coming under increasing pressure to demonstrate he could manage the economic ministers in such a way as to produce concrete results in the wake of a series of grim economic reports.

He finally took the plunge, obviously after having consulted his powerful "elder brother", Deputy Premier and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan - a former classmate of Pridiyathorn - and overhauled his economic team.

The man who had been waiting in the wings for months finally emerged, with a clear mandate to manage the Cabinet's economic ministers without any adviser looking over his shoulder.

Somkid sought - and obtained - the premier's green light to bring in his own team in a bid to get the country out of limbo. He made it a point to declare on his first day in office that his unit would work as "one team" - and that he would make sure that all concerned ministries and government agencies worked together to overcome the country's economic woes.

The challenge is a tough one. Even if he tries hard to differentiate himself from Pridiyathorn, Somkid will find it hard to come up with any dramatically divergent approach, except that with a consolidated team, he might be able to offer a more concerted effort with concrete results.

Now that Somkid's team is running most of the main economic portfolios - finance, commerce, industry, public transport, and foreign affairs - there will be no excuse for not producing coordinated "quick wins" with some concrete "early harvests".

There won't be a "honeymoon" period. Nor will be there any talk about easing into the jobs. The public will be evaluating the team's performance on a monthly basis, with quarterly results coming under close scrutiny.

Somkid's first public statement in his new position offered a glimpse of the priorities of his agenda: First, the grass-roots economy must be given a shot in the arm, followed by close monitoring of the prices of farm products, which is the critical factor in pushing up domestic consumption. He also talked about boosting the country's competitiveness, with the first major measures to be taken "within one and a half years".

That means he will have to hit the ground running. He has made it clear that he will extend a hand to leaders in the private sector in his first major public appearance. But the real test will be whether he and his team can restore public confidence - and not only in the ability of the Cabinet economics crew to get things done in a short time, but also in the whole government's credibility and stability.

It's a tall order. But it's a battle he can't afford to lose.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Somkids-economic-team-has-to-hit-the-ground-runnin-30267499.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-08-27

Strange how one so upset to be removed from a job whom he himself admits he does'nt have a clue how to run and given to another who hopefully has a clue to do complain and pass on blame for his excuse for his lack of ability to do the job on others. Ok I'm no rocket scientist or expert on economy but One who think all the building projects going on here Which I counted at least 12 to 14 condos being developed or near done add another 3 to 5 just starting plus a brand new site next door to me being cleared for yet another high rise condo. Yet when you look at craigslist under rentals there are hundreds if not thousands for rent and vacant. Yet it is surrounding countries that are offering new businesses tax breaks to bring work to them All the while Thailand seems to throw up road blocks for those wanting to open here I feel a bubble is about to burst here in a major way. I remember the unfinished building by NANA BTS now gone and a new condo project raising there or soon to rise across the street another site cleared or being cleared for god knows what. Seems to me sort of like put cart before horse. Might be better IMHO to make business climate more inviting to bring in jobs to put butts in all the vacant condos and houses first before flooding the market with new ones. 7-11's comes to mind some how. But then again I may be wrong.

Edited by Strangebrew

I give Somkid credit by NOT beginning his economic leadership with a deluge of irrational economic predictions to please Prayut. His initial acts appear far more universal and pragmatic than Prayut's previous narrowly-directed populist schemes that seemed more driven by public relations than by economic necessity.

But Somkid will need more time than the remainder of 2015 to effect a reversal in Thailand's faltering economic growth. So it remains to be seen whether Prayut is willing to suffer short-term economic disappointments that will bring continued economic stress in exchange for a long-term recovery.

Of course, there are potential events that are currently beyond Somkid's ability to manage such as a EU and/or USA reduction of complete ban of Thailand seafood imports, manmade and natural disasters. He also cannot control increasing competition from neighboring countries. And he needs the underpin of a POLITICALLY STABLE nation.

I give Somkid a 50-50 chance of success through 2016.

QUOTE : He also talked about boosting the country's competitiveness, with the first major measures to be taken "within one and a half years".

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow. Thailands maxim for action.

The unelected, self installed PM is way out of his depth and so are many of his new cabinet staff.

Actions speak louder than words.