Best French restaurant in Pattaya?

jumbo

I agree Cafe Des Amis is as good as it gets in Pattaya but it's not exactly French.

Indeed!

I haven't been for years and just checked out their website with the menu, it seems they moved on from French cuisine to "quick" international dishes.

okay, cross out "Café des Amis"

Edited by manarak

Mission impossible !!!

There is not one French restaurant in Thailand that comes close to the French standards that Michelin uses on nominations for a star or having a recommendation !!!

The only restaurant in South-East Asia that had a Michelin nomination for a recommendation in 2013 was in Vientiane, Laos, "Aria", an Italian restaurant for their culinary arts and their wines. It was only a nomination !

For (French) restaurants...

The standard in Thailand is NOT: "good, better or the best"

but it is: "terrible, less terrible or the least terrible" !!! bah.gifsick.gif

Edited by FredNL

Mission impossible !!!

There is not one French restaurant in Thailand that comes close to the French standards that Michelin uses on nominations for a star or having a recommendation !!!

The only restaurant in South-East Asia that had a Michelin nomination for a recommendation in 2013 was in Vientiane, Laos, "Aria", an Italian restaurant for their culinary arts and their wines. It was only a nomination !

This could apply to other cuisines, not only French, here in Thailand. I don't think posters are looking for Michelin award winning restaurants here in Pattaya. Edited by ThaiBob

I'm a little surprised about Vientienne as their breads soups and pies (at a small cafe in centre of Town popular for lunch, what name?)

were as good as in the West. I had a really good French meal there many years ago too.

Agreed about most of Thailand. Probably the best bet would be Chiang Mia , Phuket or Bangkok for French restaurant even if they are not Michelin standard

Mission impossible !!!

Mission impossible !!!

This could apply to other cuisines, not only French, here in Thailand. I don't think posters are looking for Michelin award winning restaurants here in Pattaya.

More than that - how many posters actually ate regularly (as opposed to a once in a blue moon special/business context) in a Michelin starred restaurant in their home country.........

FredNL you may be right but the OP only specified best French restaurant and best is in itself subjective.

Not specifically French but what I think of as French style I have always liked Mata Hari.

Mission impossible !!!

Thanks for the input Fred but I have eaten in restaurants in Thailand owned by chefs with Michelin stars, recently even as far as in Phuket..3 stars!!

Although these stars are not transferable I assume they do not lose their cooking abilities overnight during a flight??

Anyway my question related to what others experienced as the best french restaurant in Pattaya and not to the Michelin star owned restaurants so I am

not sure what point you are trying to make... it is a subjective questions as I do not know the standards they would use, but we live in such an open

world these days.. information is truly everywhere...

Coming from the same country as you I do understand you have a high standard, but living here for 15 years has taught me to downgrade on my high

expectations so I ask other peoples opinions, check the web and make a choice. Have been disappointed but just a few times.

Keywords; French Chef, French client comments, French blogs, website/menu.... triple kitchen (French, Thai , plus another) is too much for any chef..so specific French kitchen..

Choice currently down to Bordeaux, waiting for a member his experience from yesterday, Casa Pascal, Au Bon Coin and Mata Hari, just for the Dutch sake of it, hehehe..

All others thank you for your comments as well..

Mission impossible !!!

Thanks for the input Fred but I have eaten in restaurants in Thailand owned by chefs with Michelin stars, recently even as far as in Phuket..3 stars!!

Although these stars are not transferable I assume they do not lose their cooking abilities overnight during a flight??

Anyway my question related to what others experienced as the best french restaurant in Pattaya and not to the Michelin star owned restaurants so I am

not sure what point you are trying to make... it is a subjective questions as I do not know the standards they would use, but we live in such an open

world these days.. information is truly everywhere...

Coming from the same country as you I do understand you have a high standard, but living here for 15 years has taught me to downgrade on my high

expectations so I ask other peoples opinions, check the web and make a choice. Have been disappointed but just a few times.

Keywords; French Chef, French client comments, French blogs, website/menu.... triple kitchen (French, Thai , plus another) is too much for any chef..so specific French kitchen..

Choice currently down to Bordeaux, waiting for a member his experience from yesterday, Casa Pascal, Au Bon Coin and Mata Hari, just for the Dutch sake of it, hehehe..

All others thank you for your comments as well..

I have good friend, originaly from Germany, that had, as a chef cook, his own Michelin Star ranked restaurant in Switzerland before he came to Thailand some 10 years ago. He has been a chef here in Thailand too. I have been doing reviews for 17 years for the Micheling Guide throughout Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Italy, so you can say that I'm a bit spoiled. Next to this I have been exporting Italy's best wines and still have close connections to several sommelier (educational) institutes (and good friends) in Switzerland, Luxembourg and Italy. Good wines are not easy to find in Thailand. There is 300% import tax on wines. So, buy a bottle in a wine store for 1,000 THB what would have been a European retail price of € 5 -> € 8. Real good wines, like I was exporting were having a retail price between € 20 and € 50 + tax/vat. (Restaurant prices times 2.5 to 3). Take those wines to Thailand (I have for my personal use) and they will be here in a store for at least 3,000 THB. I have one bottle of Priore di Franciacorta where they already offered me 10,000 for. No way, it's the last one of the 2009 harvest.

With my German friend we agreed about several things. One, that is what my friend always complained about, is that the quality of the ingredients in Thailand (Asia) is way different than in Europe. For example the garlic (fresh) they use in Europe and in Asia. In Asia the garlic is completely different than the European. They look the same but the European garlic is spicier (sharper) and has more flavour. Using Asian means that you will never ever get the same taste as in Europe. Importing garlic from Europe is impossible, due to several laws.

However, I still can enjoy a good meal, burgers and pizzas. I never liked the food from those fastfood chains because of the use of synthetical ingredients, what is enormous in Thailand. Don't think that you can buy one kilo Mozzarella Cheese for 2 or 3 hunderd Baht, yes synthetical... I have found myself a good Italian Restaurant in Bangkok that is worth a visit. http://avanti.co.th

All you guys, enjoy your meals. smile.png

Edited by FredNL

I have good friend, originaly from Germany, that had, as a chef cook, his own Michelin Star ranked restaurant in Switzerland before he came to Thailand some 10 years ago. He has been a chef here in Thailand too. I have been doing reviews for 17 years for the Micheling Guide throughout Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland and Italy, so you can say that I'm a bit spoiled. Next to this I have been exporting Italy's best wines and still have close connections to several sommelier (educational) institutes (and good friends) in Switzerland, Luxembourg and Italy. Good wines are not easy to find in Thailand. There is 300% import tax on wines. So, buy a bottle in a wine store for 1,000 THB what would have been a European retail price of € 5 -> € 8. Real good wines, like I was exporting were having a retail price between € 20 and € 50 + tax/vat. (Restaurant prices times 2.5 to 3). Take those wines to Thailand (I have for my personal use) and they will be here in a store for at least 3,000 THB. I have one bottle of Priore di Franciacorta where they already offered me 10,000 for. No way, it's the last one of the 2009 harvest.

With my German friend we agreed about several things. One, that is what my friend always complained about, is that the quality of the ingredients in Thailand (Asia) is way different than in Europe. For example the garlic (fresh) they use in Europe and in Asia. In Asia the garlic is completely different than the European. They look the same but the European garlic is spicier (sharper) and has more flavour. Using Asian means that you will never ever get the same taste as in Europe. Importing garlic from Europe is impossible, due to several laws.

However, I still can enjoy a good meal, burgers and pizzas. I never liked the food from those fastfood chains because of the use of synthetical ingredients, what is enormous in Thailand. Don't think that you can buy one kilo Mozzarella Cheese for 2 or 3 hunderd Baht, yes synthetical... I have found myself a good Italian Restaurant in Bangkok that is worth a visit. http://avanti.co.th

All you guys, enjoy your meals. smile.png

Eye of the beholder? In, just as ONE example perrier/elite traveler top 50 list of restaurants Asia has 10 places, more than US, Africa, South America and Australia... and all this with ingredients that are not up to standards....

Makes me wonder why all these EU chefs, with our without Michelin stars, try the Asian markets and why most of them are amazed by and enjoy the rich flavors of Asian food compared to European... must be something something personal..??

Not all wines are subject to the 300% duty as countries that are in APEC for example or any other economic collaboration are treated differently and these include Chili, Argentina, US and Australia, all countries to be know to make decent and sometimes even great wines..

Not all wines are subject to the 300% duty as countries that are in APEC for example or any other economic collaboration are treated differently and these include Chili, Argentina, US and Australia, all countries to be know to make decent and sometimes even great wines..

Unfortunately it is still at least around 80% as supermarket prices here are around twice that for the same wine in the UK sad.png

Eye of the beholder? In, just as ONE example perrier/elite traveler top 50 list of restaurants Asia has 10 places, more than US, Africa, South America and Australia... and all this with ingredients that are not up to standards....

Makes me wonder why all these EU chefs, with our without Michelin stars, try the Asian markets and why most of them are amazed by and enjoy the rich flavors of Asian food compared to European... must be something something personal..??

I love Asian food. It's one of the reasons that I settled here. Once in a while I love to have good European food. I know the places where to get what. But most of the time, you'll find me in my own kitchen using Asian ingredients.

I also love Asian food but when I see the shiiiite condiments that they put inside I feel like to eat it less and less to live longer...

I love Asian food. It's one of the reasons that I settled here. Once in a while I love to have good European food. I know the places where to get what. But most of the time, you'll find me in my own kitchen using Asian ingredients.

I don't see La Cuisine au Berre mentioned in the Tuk Com area.

So far it seems Au Bon Coin is the place to go for good lamb, this what I'm searching for.

Although not exactly French, Mata Hari does probably the best lamb in Pattaya, and a tad easier to get to

• 1 year later...
On 8/27/2015 at 2:57 PM, digbeth said:

Au Bon Coin

It's a bit hard to find though and people on TripAdvisor seem to think that quality is not as good as before. But the restaurant is a Pattaya Institurion, you should try at least once.

It seems that this restaurant charges you more for decoration and atmosphere than good food...

Do you know where I could find a good Coq au vin ? Please help me :-)