Dual Track Railway Project - Latest?

bluesofa

I don't know if I've missed any recent update on any of the railway projects?

However, I do remember the last time I read a news report was that August would be the date the next phase would be announced. I can't remember definitely was it was to be, I think it was perhaps anouncing the route in more detail? I think there's supposed to have been a detailed survey undertaked by now?

Does anyone in the know have some specific information? It was definitely August for the next stage, we only have a couple of days left of this month. Or should I go into cynical mode and assume it may have died a death already?

Not died a death. Still going ahead. There's been a lot of consideration on how to fund it. Arkhom Termpittayapaisith (new Transport Minister) recently said that bidding is now expected to start before the end of the year.

This project is one of the cornerstones of the junta's plans to stimulate the economy (and a great opportunity for graft). I'd be surprised if it were dropped.

total waste of money, build the roads properly once.

The roads are built properly.

are all the holes and ruts there to help drainage then? u wanna come and look round by me in Pranburi, i spent 2 days pouring concrete into the holes as no sign of the orbortor, a few locals gave me the thumbs up.

Edited by kannot

It might happen by the year 2600?

what they need is several fact finding missions abroad to any country with some railways, then a meeting and repeat.

Why limit it to countries with railways, when the defining criterion is surely, that the destinations should have 5-star hotels and a first-class connection by air, and good shopping-opportunities ? whistling.gif

But to answer the OP, the SRT's existing (decade old) dual-tracking proceeds at a snail-pace, while all the grand new projects with China & Japan continue to generate lots of announcements, so no change there.

It's a bit like the expansion of Swampy, frequently-announced for over a decade, and may happen sometime, seemingly almost as a by-product of the real agenda. wink.png

are all the holes and ruts there to help drainage then? u wanna come and look round by me in Pranburi, i spent 2 days pouring concrete into the holes as no sign of the orbortor, a few locals gave me the thumbs up.

Yes the holes are for drainage. Thai roads are the best in the world. Everyone knows that.

2015-06-10

"The Chinese rail project is aimed to serve passengers and accomodate light and high value cargo. The construction will be divided into four phases, with Bangkok - Kaeng Khoi and Kaeng Khoi - Maptaphut designated for the first two phases.

The construction of the first two phases is scheduled to commence October 2015 with a 30 month timeframe. The later phases, Kaeng Khoi - Nakhon Ratchasima - Nong Khai, will begin construction February 2016 with a 36 months timeframe."

2015-06-10

"The Chinese rail project is aimed to serve passengers and accomodate light and high value cargo. The construction will be divided into four phases, with Bangkok - Kaeng Khoi and Kaeng Khoi - Maptaphut designated for the first two phases.

The construction of the first two phases is scheduled to commence October 2015 with a 30 month timeframe. The later phases, Kaeng Khoi - Nakhon Ratchasima - Nong Khai, will begin construction February 2016 with a 36 months timeframe."

Thanks for re-posting the text.

I could have sworn there was due to be an announcement in August regarding the plan for the next phase.

However, I could be wrong, and am quite willing to stand (or rather sit) corrected.

oh, how the brown bags are going to fly. somewhere they will run out of money and not complete the project(typical Thai).

next they will spend years and mega dollars trying to find some one to blame,(dog and poney show) by then all the money will be gone and the project will just come to a stand still. all the home less will love it as they will now have a home!! just look at the defunct skytrain line!!

what a waist of money except for the people who got the brown bags!!

oh, how the bull keeps stacking up!!

a wanna be third world country that runs on graft and kick backs!!

the only thing the pm is interested in is how many tourist!!

Yes the holes are for drainage. Thai roads are the best in the world. Everyone knows that.

I think you mean "every Thai knows that"?

I wonder why you ask? Are you a rail enthusiast? The double tracking isnt exactly everyones idea of fun.

I work on these projects (have been doing so since the first one which was ST1) That was Rangsit to Ban Phachi & Thon Buri to Chimpli. There were other projects before this which doubled the track but they were not called 'double track' projects. They were called colour-light resignalling or enhancement etc.

It all depends on what you mean by progress. Are you talking about civil engineering, control systems etc or are you asking when will the next part open for use?

I wonder why you ask? Are you a rail enthusiast? The double tracking isnt exactly everyones idea of fun.

I work on these projects (have been doing so since the first one which was ST1) That was Rangsit to Ban Phachi & Thon Buri to Chimpli. There were other projects before this which doubled the track but they were not called 'double track' projects. They were called colour-light resignalling or enhancement etc.

It all depends on what you mean by progress. Are you talking about civil engineering, control systems etc or are you asking when will the next part open for use?

I'm assuming you were referring to me (the OP)?

I suppose you could describe me as an 'enthusiast', but only in the sense I enjoy train travel as opposed to going by bus. I'm not a train-spotter, by any means. I would like to see the chance for Thailand to have a semi-decent train system, rather than the one we have at present, that's all. No other agenda.

Obviously been here far too long; claims to have been here working "since the first one" (?) and throws in some gobbledygook as some sort of proof but can only answer a simple question with a question.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just noticed that a "failure to agree the route and money issues", have set back the Nong Khai - Map Ta Phut project by about nine months.

According to today's BKK Post, it says the project was due to start on 23 October. I haven't seen anything about it in the Nation so far, so I am unable to provide a link (as we're not allowed to post links to the BKK Post).

There's another report in the BKK post today stating that "The start of construction for the dual railway from Nong Khai to Rayong was pushed back to December after Beijing's quote for two parts of the project was 30% higher than originally estimated".

I can't understand why the BKK Post has had two articles on this subject in the last two days, but I still can't find anything in The Nation?