Pattaya Bicycle Shop - Closed For Good?!?

quandow

Monday 24 Aug I dropped off my rear wheel at the shop on Theprasit Road, across and a block down from the Honda shop headed towards the beach. I needed a spoke replaced on the gear side, I don't have the tools. The gal who has worked there for years said come back tomorrow to pick it up. I went back "tomorrow" only to find it closed every day since, and as of Friday afternoon it's STILL closed. Anyone know what happened? That is a fine, upscale shop, I'd hate to find it shut down forever, but even more so I need my wheel back.

There is only one high end bike shop one block down and across from the Honda shop headed towards the beach on Theprasit road. It hosts Bianchi and the like. No other bike shop on Theprasit carries quality bikes like this.

if you mean this one you could ask one of the motorbike taxi guys who sit outside there when they will be coming back?

I've asked them every day, they just keep saying "Open tomorrow." This is starting to feel like a bad joke - punch line "Open tomorrow."

Maybe I've been warped into Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day."

P.S. - And, yes, that IS the bike shop where there's always one or two motorbike taxi's sitting around, and where that street goes off at a strange angle off Theprasit.

Edited by quandow

if you mean this one you could ask one of the motorbike taxi guys who sit outside there when they will be coming back?

I've asked them every day, they just keep saying "Open tomorrow." This is starting to feel like a bad joke - punch line "Open tomorrow."

Maybe I've been warped into Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day."

P.S. - And, yes, that IS the bike shop where there's always one or two motorbike taxi's sitting around, and where that street goes off at a strange angle off Theprasit.

yeah they did that to me at Central Festival Beach in the Royal Project shop when I wanted to buy some honey. they kept saying tomorrow! So I kept going in there and in the end they got angry with me because I kept going in tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow.

in the end they confessed that it's delivered only on a Wednesday

maybe they have gone to Isan for a visit or something. I'm sure it's only a temporary closure.

I am led to believe the couple who own the shop have a son who competes in high level races ? not sure how high level but I have seen the shop close for several longish periods before when they go away with him when he competes. I have also seen a very modern expensive time trial bike there that I was told he uses.

I have stopped going to this shop when I went in for a fix on my Giant hybrid and the guy said it was too new a model for him to work on ??? very strange I went over the road to the other shop and guy in there fixed the problem in under 2 minutes and did not want any money.... I insisted I pay something and in the end I bought a new pump I could use on both my bike and Honda click.

I also agree that this couple are not "customer friendly" they use the "Thainess Business" model to the extreme of if you don't buy someone else will.....

The women who works there is always krusty to customers and the mechanic is a joke who told me to take my bike to bangkok to get fixed when all i had to do was go across the road to l.a. bike shop.

Rubbish, troublemaker!

The women who works there is always krusty to customers and the mechanic is a joke who told me to take my bike to bangkok to get fixed when all i had to do was go across the road to l.a. bike shop.

YES; I agree with Cricket: the people that run this shop are extremely "Customer-UN-Friendly" and, quiet frankly VERY RUDE ! ! !

I took my bikes there a couple of times and the last time, I was fuming at the mouth (never let-on to those people !) and spoke to one of those Motorcycle Taxi chaps outside. He looked at me and said (with a knowing smile on his face) "just walk up the road, about 300 meters (same side, towards Sukhumvit) and try your luck there . . . . .

Well; I did and the Thai middle-ages owner of that shop knew immediately that I had come from the other place; did what I needed and charged me considerably less than that 'creepy-place' ! ! !

I would NOT be surprised if that first shop has closed-down forever, because they only have a customer ONCE; never to return !

coffee1.gif

Terrible bike shop! The lady is unpleasant but compared to the mechanic, she is quite pleasurable. Rear cassette issue that needed 30 seconds to fix and they told me too busy knowing I was stranded. As for their son racing, he does but is far from elite. Just a solid local rider and unlike his parents, a nice young man.

WOW! Sorry to hear so many unpleasant experiences. I always thought the gal was distant, perhaps from too many farangs hitting on her, but she was never rude to me.

Regardless, they ARE open again. When I asked her why they were closed, she said her mother was sick. GROOOAN!!! Even bike shop mistresses use that sorry excuse?

Sad conclusion - I put my tires back on, went for a ride, and there is a SERIOUS problem. It would appear they dropped it from some height, now there is a concave spot with deep scrape marks on the rim. This is something that can't be "trued" out.

Never again.

sad.png

I was Just there last week, and the shop was full of stock, so it's unlikely that they'll be out of business without trying to liquidate and fire-sale everything first, hopefully they'll be back

The only reason I visit that shop is that they have a good range of high-end bits like lights, accesories I'd enjoy a browse sometime and would like to give them my custom but the lady owner is really off-putting, and on the occasion I have something specific I need like particular size tubes or tyres.... no hab

The best local bike shop here is Namchai on Sukhumvit in Naklua, good service, cheap too, good range of bikes but they hardly have any bits and pieces especially accessories, they can order them in, but sometime I'd just like to browse and buy things on the off-chance something strikes my fancy. I order online many thousands of bahts every month; I'd love to give the local shop some of my money, but all they could get from me was the odd 100 baht for mechanical service. They have good bikes, but I can't buy new bikes every year maybe whole bikes has good profit for them, but on the accessories front Pattaya bike shops could really improve, Bangkok now has many new professionally run, modern bike shops that leave these chinese mom-and-pops store in the dust

Having seen many high-end bikes in the mechanic's area at the LA shop across the road that seem to only sell mostly low-end stuff is testament to this shop's notoriety for service.

I thought maybe she's just cold from seeing many tyre kicker that just ask tons of question and not buying everything I'd give her the benefit of the doubt but even on occasion where I happen to ended up buying, she's just the same.

It must be customary for the woman in a Chinese family to handle money in their shops, I see it at Namchai in Naklua and many shops in Bangkok too, I guess it keeps the husband/son from giving too much discount, some shops have staff that handle customers and the money lady is locked away in a room out back to only handle money. I guess it's hard to be enthusiastic about business that you don't care about much