Floundering Bomb Investigation Deepens Doubts About Competency

Lite Beer

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the jacks of all trades are at it again at TV. Also it's always America and Americans thinking that the rest of the world needs to follow their ideas. Solve your own problems where americans are dying everyday by mass shooting before you come criticise peaceful countries.

I am not American. But they used social media and coordinated policing to solve the Boston bombing in a few hours.

Sure the USA have problems and corruption, but they have shown it can be done.

Thailand has a consistent reputation of botching important investigations.

Sorry soldier, its like comparing a sling shot to a sniper rifle.

"Floundering Bomb Investigation Deepens Doubts About Competency"

Not much of a headline! This has been the general consensus of most contributors to this forum since the beginning of the Keystone Cops investigations.

The sarcasm (of the police farce) by the expats is well deserved.

TVI (Thai Visa Investigation) hasn't solved the case either.

That's not necessarily the case. And lets remember we are not employed to police Thailand.

Looking at patterns to determine likelihood of guilt, we have been quite diligent.

Patterns to consider:

1. Any groups guilty of bombing in Bangkok and surrounding areas in the past 7 years? - Redshirts

2. Any group guilty of bombing Bangkok and surrounding areas when red shirt governments are in power? - Redshirts (when their government is threatened - Chachoengsao last year).

3. Any groups guilty of bombing in Bangkok and surrounding areas when redshirts not in power? - Redshirts regular attacks

4. Have any of these bombers been caught and prosecuted yet? - No

5. Likelihood of this situation changing much in the near future? - You make the call

coverage of several UK news outlets quotes that new CCTV footage has been viewed by them from hospital carpark cameras which police said did not work

Police now have the footage which is from where the motorbike dropped the suspect off near Lumpini, it appears he went into the car park.

Overseas media report that there still may be hundreds of camera's footage that police have not yet looked at.

An in depth interview by foreign news journilists with the motorbike driver says that the suspect had a long chin and big nose the motorbike driver was adamant in the interview that the suspect was not Thai..

Yet the suspects picture is still not corrected , he must be laughing his head off.

It is another shambles. The authorities worked very hard to clean the place up so it could be opened again. No sealing off all debris removed full of police walking around the crime scene. They Thai police should have a trained bomb force, trained overseas, no one should be allowed entry into the area UNTILL a fully trained force have completed their investigation which should take a few days. Interviews should be given by top officials with experience.

Why on earth would the authorities be concerned what it would do if they showed they need help. If they asked and accepted international help from countries highly experienced in this type of crime they would get a lot of respect from the world. But due to their Lack of Face attitude it really shows the world their incompetence.

I really thought the highly experience General (now our PM) would have made this one of his most important changes. I hope our PM will consider this very soon.

Pick a team of around 100 competent police officers and send them to the UK or USA for training. And also a picked team of 200 or so to train with the best in the UK or USA on crime scene murder investigation.

The world would then say "WELL DONE THAILAND" they would be welcome in these countries.

But, will it ever happen, I really hope it will.

I believe they know it was the Uighurs but haven't a clue as to how to deal with international terrorism. It also severely damages their tourism.

Why bother coming to Thailand to bomb the Chinese?

Better off going to China I'd have thought.

Besides when have they ever bombed anywhere?

If they 'knew' why not release details?

all you experts jumping in here and critisizing but not offering a solution need to <deleted>

I am no fan of the Thail police and I find them seriously lacking in trainging and the level of corruption we all know about

That said - I can see no way they could do much better than they are doing now, big city, swamped with tourists - seriously what would you have them do ?

so they could have done a little more at the crime scene and I agree with that, but at the end of the day some skinny coward walked up to a popular tourist spot with a bomb in a bag- left it there and calmly walked away - wearing possibly a wig and other stuff to hide his identity supposed to be talking English, but the biggest clue to this event is the fact that nobody claimed it

If they had accepted external help and the bomber was still not found then at least they could have shared the responsibility but worse than not finding the bomber is another police finding it.

They are not capable of any kind of meaningful investigation. This isn't a situation where they can plant evidence or shake people down to get results. This requires actual investigation skills and expertise and it simply doesn't exist there.

I have had 12 years of experience working with Thai Police in domestic & international drug investigations in the 80's-90's. I watched the development of their investigative abilities - and when I left in 1994 - I would put their ability among the best. They do have competent, honest and talented investigators. The problem is when the political element enters and their appointed leadership makes stupid statements which cloud and preclude basic law enforcement techniques and honest police work. It all depends on leadership - there are no Pow Sarasins or Pratin Santiprabhops around to set the tone and example for the working police force.

Here's another question I have... early reports stated there was a second device affixed to the BTS support that police disarmed. Was there actually a bomb or was this something made up in translation? If they did have another intact device, they could certainly be using that to base their investigation on instead of having to comb the entire blast area (just a thought from a keyboard detective).

I believe they know it was the Uighurs but haven't a clue as to how to deal with international terrorism. It also severely damages their tourism.

Why bother coming to Thailand to bomb the Chinese?

Better off going to China I'd have thought.

Besides when have they ever bombed anywhere?

If they 'knew' why not release details?

If you read the history of the Grey Wolves right up to the protests at the Thai embasy in Turkey over the turk/ chinese uighurs you will see that they have highly trained military factions they have carried out many terorist attacks in many countries, including trying to assasinate the pope, they have highly trained personel.

Wikipedia gives a detailed account of their activity.

Seeing this could be aimed at Chinese and tourism in Thailand it looks more and more plausible than any other theory I would say highly probable that this was in retaliation for the deporting of the Uighurs.

all you experts jumping in here and critisizing but not offering a solution need to <deleted>

I am no fan of the Thail police and I find them seriously lacking in trainging and the level of corruption we all know about

That said - I can see no way they could do much better than they are doing now, big city, swamped with tourists - seriously what would you have them do ?

so they could have done a little more at the crime scene and I agree with that, but at the end of the day some skinny coward walked up to a popular tourist spot with a bomb in a bag- left it there and calmly walked away - wearing possibly a wig and other stuff to hide his identity supposed to be talking English, but the biggest clue to this event is the fact that nobody claimed it

As long as we're using trite phrases, like 'the end of the day', lets throw some reality into the mix.

At the end of the day, more than one country has offered to assist in the investigation, and I'm certain you'll agree they need it. What did they do, here and on murder island? They turned it down. How smart is that?

The only logical conclusion a reasonable person could make is they don't want to admit, or they're to stupid to admit, they are bumbling fools.

Incidentally the Thai Government were offered help from the British Government but in their wisdom turned it down. They simply only have themselves to blame. Being at least 200 years behind the rest of the World and fraught with ingrained corruption and incompetence any criticism on here is well justified. As we all know Thais think they know best regardless of what anyone else says or suggests for fear of losing face and dignity. Once they start getting over these minor obstacles in culture they might, just might be able to progress. Until them they remain a laughing stock.

I disagree despite all of the likes this got.

They swept the crime scene clean in less than 24 hours instead of preserving it. This was after letting people walk all over it. They refused outside help. They didn't do a real investigation.

I'm wondering if the explosive had markers (taggants) in it. If it did, experts can tell who manufactured the explosive and what manufacturing lot and date it was.

There are too many misses and unanswered questions to remove blame from the investigation.

Cheers.

With all the doubts creeping into the bombing investigation, over the actual ability, and professionalism, of the RTP force during this most horrrific matter, the obviously well organised perps will be saying, " we thought Thailand was a soft target, but this is incredible "

All the " gum beating " sends out a message of incompetance to all the world, so there will probably be more horrendous acts such as this terrible bombing to come for Thailands people, and tourists.

Not a very nice prospect, and I really hope, and pray that I am wrong.

When I see a policeman at a traffic light and someone runs staright through a red light and he does nothing about it it does make you wonder what the job entails. As I see it it seems to be somewhere you attend between 0800 and 1700 hours, shopping time is allowed in that time as are home visits. Any upholding of the law or investigations seem to happen on an ad hoc basis when someone thinks we will check drivers documents today, usally across the road from the police station so they can be back for breaks. End of the month as we approach pa day and funds are low, nip round to the local education establishments and dole out 300bt tickets to students they caught last month doing the same =no helmets. If the powers the powers that be insisted on better standards perhaps they might be more competent, the surprise is that a "scapegoat" has not been found.

This is what they think real police work is , success is based on fine revenue collected

I would suggest to close the file. The face is already lost. Better stick with that what they can do. Do helmet checkpoints, collect money from bars and so on. Now, get over it. And then, forbid to speak about at all. Thainess won't be hurt and the tourists will come back. Everyone happy. It's ok.

When will the RTP become smart enough to not turn down offers af competent, experienced professionals. Seeking help, in most parts of the world, is considered smart but these bumbling fools are only concerned about losing face. And the sad part is that by taking the path they have they are losing face more rapidly and completely.

They know it was the Uighurs?

Really?

There's no evidence pointing to that.

I know the grey wolves were mentioned but they are not Uighurs.

They are a Turkish paramilitary fascist group with an ultra nationalist/expansionist agenda.

Edited by Bluespunk

Has there ever been ANY doubt that the Thai police is completely incompetent.

In general they are unprofessional, unethical, crime ridden, lazy and unskilled.

I would like to say that General Prayuth is equally incompetent for failing to address the state of the police and "giving up" doing anything. He is the leader of Thailand and he has chosen to do NOTHING. Prayuth is therefore responsible for the police failures. He will also be remembered as a failure unless he turns around 180 degrees.

Has there ever been ANY doubt that the Thai police is completely incompetent.

In general they are unprofessional, unethical, crime ridden, lazy and unskilled.

I would like to say that General Prayuth is equally incompetent for failing to address the state of the police and "giving up" doing anything. He is the leader of Thailand and he has chosen to do NOTHING. Prayuth is therefore responsible for the police failures. He will also be remembered as a failure unless he turns around 180 degrees.

Don't expect that 180 degree turn just yet, given that it is now illegal to criticise or campaign against the New constitution, this will be observed across social media as well.

Crank up the Iron Maiden lads, it may get medieval in here.

This is the reality.

They are not capable of any kind of meaningful investigation. This isn't a situation where they can plant evidence or shake people down to get results. This requires actual investigation skills and expertise and it simply doesn't exist there.