I am happy to report that new and improved Archa beer

is very good. I bought a few bottles for 46b at the local Tesco. Not bad, and better than Archa was before. To me, it tasted like Tiger or a poor man's Beerlao.

All thing considered, better than LEO and a good option over Tiger because it's cheaper.

You can get a case for 488 and that is basically 40b a bottle.... good deal nowadays!

It is better than it was and certainly a good deal. Beer Chang has also revamped its bottle, small size, smaller alcohol content 5.5 and yes its more disgusting than before, how they hope to compete with the other beers I don't know. They certainly have made a mistake because its now even more rank than before

Feedback appreciated, some years back I used to drink Archa beer, but I appreciated it was a 'cheaper' beer. Then I had a case of Leo and decided that was a better beer. If it is indeed changed, I shall pick a bottle up from the 7-11 and check it out.

Edited by jacko45k

Archa beer is my choice of Thai beers also, I have always wondered why most Thai's don't drink or care for it. I kind of think that most people both foreign and Thai think if something is less expensive it is also inferior. I have been drinking it for the four years that I have lived in Thailand.... good taste and a good price. I also like the new labels they recently changed.

It is better than it was and certainly a good deal. Beer Chang has also revamped its bottle, small size, smaller alcohol content 5.5 and yes its more disgusting than before, how they hope to compete with the other beers I don't know. They certainly have made a mistake because its now even more rank than before

Agree. I can't drink Chang. If I even have one beer I throw up. I have heard but cannot verify that they use formaldahyde as the preservative. It keeps dead bodies preserved for years.

Chang is liked by many people. The sales figures prove that, as well as everyday conversation. However, they have shot themselves in the foot by withdrawing Export (a better version) and draught which I have been drinking for the last five years. Classic is ok for us if we want a strong beer, but when you are over 65 you look for something a bit lighter. Perhaps Chang think they have an ageing customer-base. After all, it's not so cool to sponsor Everton.

Best beer in SE Asia.

Beer Lao is pleasant enough light lager, but I can think of half a dozen others in the region that are at least as good in their own way -- Myanmar Beer, Halida, Angkor etc. Then there's Malaysian-brewed Guinness and Kilkenny, to say nothing of microbreweries like the excellent Brewerkz in Singapore. Their IPA and X-IPA are world class.

Agree. I can't drink Chang. If I even have one beer I throw up. I have heard but cannot verify that they use formaldahyde as the preservative. It keeps dead bodies preserved for years.

Not as far as I'm aware, although recently it was reported that Leo do!

Gotta agree bout Chang though,I used to live the stuff but recently it's gone from 6% - 5.8% down to 5.5%!!

& is really not as good as it used to be! As a lover of strong beers I gotta say I much prefer San Miguel's Red Horse or Sato (I know it's not technically a beer/but it reminds me of a grumpy scrumpy ? )

Suppose I best finish the other 11 bottles of Chang in this case & get used to it then...lol

Archa v Cheers, any opinions?

Yes, Cheers Extra (Red can) 490ml at 6% is by far and away the best tasting Thai beer. (Thai Asia Pacific Brewery.) Their blue label, though is not worth drinking, it's wishy-washy puerile. A case of Red 12 at Tesco (if you can find one) is 470 baht - that's less than 40 baht a can. The one extra good thing about this beer, if you so wish, is when ice is added it doesn't affect the taste.

And believe me, I've tasted every other lager beer here and there's no comparison. Beer Lao tastes sickly after several, Red horse is unpalatable - I poured it down the sink. Singha - can't get on with it, neither Leo, which needs a lot of getting used to, and forget Chang, it's full of chemicals like Stella in the UK. Archa - sorry, it's like what dishwater would taste like - watery. But I will try this new version, just for comparative purposes.

As a Belgian national and used to drink a whole variety of beers I must say that Archa beer is indeed nice to drink. I like Leo. Asahi and Carlsberg as well but if I need a big bottle for at home I choose Archa. Too bad it's never on the menu of any outdoor restaurant, not as far as I know anyway. Forget the chemical garbage of Chang and Heineken is pure water, no taste at all (hope I not offend my Dutch friends here!sorry.gif ). And the Belgian beers here are way too high to buy so that has to wait untill I go on a holiday back home.

A very important subject here; seeing as we only had the choice of US so called beers and 33 or Biere- Larue back in Vietnam days we loved Singha when we managed to escape to Bangers for awhile. However have stuck to Tiger and maybe Asahi lately here seeing they don't seem to do bad things to me which Heinie does these days also. I was told by a lovely Thai doctor a few years back never to drink Thai beer, she said it's all full of chemi's. Tried Archa when it first came out as I was connected to an exec of Thai-Bev at the time and also I am connected to the name Archa.

Should've mentioned that back in VN we sometimes could get hold of NZ or Oz ales.

I am not a beer expert by any means, but I am always surprised when the topic of Chang comes up, all of the people that state "It is the worst beer in the world, and undrinkable." This surprises me in the respect that it is the number 1 selling beer in Thailand.

Also, with very little research, it can be found that much of the worlds beer contains formaldehyde.

Singha for me. Tried them all and keep coming back. It has taste. I find with Archa that the first bottle is great then the second not so great.

Not too keen on any Thai beer, but yes I think Singha is the best of a bad bunch.

It is all crap buy english beer or german beer here stuff the price. Out of all that crap above tiger is the best of a bad bunch of crap. I do not live over here to lower my standardswhistling.gif

Please excuse me as you choose to live and drink what you want and like. Now I like Thailand and also the Beers I drink. I also drink red and white wine.

Next time you visit let me show you around 55.

After 7 years living in LOS and having been through phases of drinking each local beer I have settled on Leo as my drink of choice. As with any comparisons ie:

Cars, bikes, food etc it all comes down to personal taste. We are all different, so shall be our opinions.

I did discover an interesting fact whilst on my last stint in Oz. ALDI was advertising that they were the exclusive importers of LEO Beer and that Leo is brewed from Australian barley and Thai RICE.....by jingo!!!......Cheers!

Chang is liked by many people. The sales figures prove that, as well as everyday conversation. However, they have shot themselves in the foot by withdrawing Export (a better version) and draught which I have been drinking for the last five years. Classic is ok for us if we want a strong beer, but when you are over 65 you look for something a bit lighter. Perhaps Chang think they have an ageing customer-base. After all, it's not so cool to sponsor Everton.

I have been drinking Chang for about 16 years, till Carlsberg disappeared it was not very popular. I have seen it decline from 6.4 to 5.5 percent It was my mother in laws remembrance today and someone brought a box of the new Chang, not my cup of tea. Will give Archa a go.