Adventurous road trip on 1022.

Just did the 1022 from near Phrae to Tha Pla.

The "Grand Canyon" is not far before the turn off on the main road, going towards Phrae., and is worth a look- no charge. The road sign is gone at present due to road works, but is near the new elevated U turn under construction on the south side.

Nice temple to walk around near the start.

After some distance on a narrow but good road it turns into a dirt track for 70 km. Second gear is about as good as it gets, but the road is passable when dry. If wet better have 4 wheel drive. I wouldn't recommend an ordinary car- we used a 2 wheel drive pickup.

There are some muddy areas near Tha Pla. We got through OK but I was glad to have the winch under the seat just in case.

Quite a few m'bikes on the road, and surprisingly many houses in the middle of nowhere.

Some spectacular views of virgin jungle to be seen on the way, but not for the driver. Total concentration is required to navigate this road.

Whatever you do, don't expect to fill up along this road, find a public phone or get a tow if stuck in the mud.

IMO it was worth it, though probably took a lot longer than taking the long way around on the sealed/ concrete roads passing by Uttaradit. My wife didn't think it was worth it, but she's not very adventurous, LOL.

Hey , how far from the 101 on the 1022 is the "Grand Canyon" ? Post a pic , to see if it's worth to go see. I can't see anything on satelite view. In 3 months , there is that 2 month window coming up , that I can come out.....Thai winter ! And I would love to go see the Thai grand canyon. I love my car too much to take it on a 70 km dirttrack though.

I went to Global house , this week but didn't see roadworks on a new elevated U turn. They are building one on the 101 /1134 . Totally unnecessary , and it takes forever to build it. Phrae's road budget is way too high.

Hey , how far from the 101 on the 1022 is the "Grand Canyon" ? Post a pic , to see if it's worth to go see. I can't see anything on satelite view. In 3 months , there is that 2 month window coming up , that I can come out.....Thai winter ! And I would love to go see the Thai grand canyon. I love my car too much to take it on a 70 km dirttrack though.

I went to Global house , this week but didn't see roadworks on a new elevated U turn. They are building one on the 101 /1134 . Totally unnecessary , and it takes forever to build it. Phrae's road budget is way too high.

Not sure if I've confused you, but the Grand Canyon is off the main Phayao to Phrae road ( 101 ) and not off the 1022. The elevated U turn you refer to looks about the spot to turn off to the right going towards Phayao, unless there are more elevated U turns being built.

If you had google earth you'd probably see it. It's just a few minutes from the main road. We had to ask a few people to find it.

For pictures just google Phrae grand canyon. Don't get confused with the Chiang Mai grand canyon.

I thought the roads in Phrae area were really good.

Not sure if I've confused you, but the Grand Canyon is off the main Phayao to Phrae road ( 101 ) and not off the 1022. The elevated U turn you refer to looks about the spot to turn off to the right going towards Phayao, unless there are more elevated U turns being built.

If you had google earth you'd probably see it. It's just a few minutes from the main road. We had to ask a few people to find it.

For pictures just google Phrae grand canyon. Don't get confused with the Chiang Mai grand canyon.

In your opening post , I thought you meant that "the Thai grand canyon" was at some side road off the 1022.

Then the penny dropped : you meant "Muang Phi " , I've been there twice . It is a long stretch calling it the grand canyon, but a nice walk around , and free when I was there.

The 101 is the highway from NAN , from Phayao is the 103 ( to the 101).

At the crossroad 101/1134 , is the elevated U turn progressing slowly , and is indeed the road to Muang Phi.

The 1022 is futher south , and I haven't been there all the way to where it turn into a dirt track in the mountains.

In your opening post , I thought you meant that "the Thai grand canyon" was at some side road off the 1022.

Then the penny dropped : you meant "Muang Phi " , I've been there twice . It is a long stretch calling it the grand canyon, but a nice walk around , and free when I was there.

The 101 is the highway from NAN , from Phayao is the 103 ( to the 101).

At the crossroad 101/1134 , is the elevated U turn progressing slowly , and is indeed the road to Muang Phi.

The 1022 is futher south , and I haven't been there all the way to where it turn into a dirt track in the mountains.

Well, my wife ( a Thai ) calls it the Grand Canyon, and it is called the Grand Canyon on the internet, and everyone in the area ( Thais ) call it the Grand Canyon, so good enough for me.

Even if you don't do the 70 km of dirt road, the drive up to where it changes from seal to dirt is an interesting drive, and the temple near the 101 is very nice.

Well, my wife ( a Thai ) calls it the Grand Canyon, and it is called the Grand Canyon on the internet, and everyone in the area ( Thais ) call it the Grand Canyon, so good enough for me.

Even if you don't do the 70 km of dirt road, the drive up to where it changes from seal to dirt is an interesting drive, and the temple near the 101 is very nice.

Thai say in English : Grand canyon ?

post-81532-0-54125400-1441109868_thumb.j

Yes.

Yes.

No ! It's Ghost Canyon , not Grand Canyon

But do u know a thai people who can speak english correctly ? with a " G " , this letter doesn't exist in thai language !

Reading your first post, I thought it was Phae Muang Phi ( Phi in thai is for ghost ) ; but it's not on the road 1022 which is going to Tha Pla;

it's not far from the road 101, on the left side and again turn left a few km after ; good road signs ; impossible to get loss ! thumbsup.gif

u arrive on a big parking lot;

the entrance is free for everybody ;

I went there three or four times .

post-102759-0-39195900-1442051649_thumb.post-102759-0-51442000-1442051690_thumb.

Yes.

But do u know a thai people who can speak english correctly ? with a " G " , this letter doesn't exist in thai language !

Reading your first post, I thought it was Phae Muang Phi ( Phi in thai is for ghost ) ; but it's not on the road 1022 which is going to Tha Pla;

it's not far from the road 101, on the left side and again turn left a few km after ; good road signs ; impossible to get loss ! thumbsup.gif

Nice pics !

Yes.

attachicon.gifP2240086_phrae_city_of_ghost_route_1134.jpgattachicon.gifP2240091_phrae_city_of_ghost_route_1134.jpg

If you read #4 I already said it's not on 1022.

If you google grand canyon + Phrae the first 7 responses all refer to THE GRAND CANYON of Thailand.

Edited by thaibeachlovers