Gun shots

Anthony5

I live about 15 km East of Pattaya, in a merely rural area, and just minutes ago someone unloaded a full pistol feeder ( I think 9 shots) within hearing distance of my house.

For sure nothing I can do about, but unloading a complete feeder sounds strange to me.

The sound was without doubt from a pistol, not a gun or fire crackers. Oops I should amend the thread title in that case.

Any calls I should make?

Edited by Anthony5

Relax. Most shooters know to have a good backstop before they shoot. Bullets are mostly faster than the speed of sound so if you hear one you aren't dead yet, LOL. tongue.png

The reasons I would "unload a magazine" would be if I had just replaced the spring in one as they do wear out, or if I had just bought a new mag, or if I had done work on the gun such as on the feed ramp, or if I had a new bullet size, shape or weight - anything different I wanted to test for feeding.

It's also legit practice to rapid fire. Good shooters don't necessarily look down the sights. There's a combat technique called "point shooting" where you use your instincts as if you were pointing your finger. You look over the top of the gun. With practice it's very accurate and fast but again, practice. I would unload a magazine into a target practicing that.

Cheers.

Relax. Most shooters know to have a good backstop before they shoot. Bullets are mostly faster than the speed of sound so if you hear one you aren't dead yet, LOL. tongue.png

The reasons I would "unload a magazine" would be if I had just replaced the spring in one as they do wear out, or if I had just bought a new mag, or if I had done work on the gun such as on the feed ramp, or if I had a new bullet size, shape or weight - anything different I wanted to test for feeding.

It's also legit practice to rapid fire. Good shooters don't necessarily look down the sights. There's a combat technique called "point shooting" where you use your instincts as if you were pointing your finger. You look over the top of the gun. With practice it's very accurate and fast but again, practice. I would unload a magazine into a target practicing that.

Cheers.

You realize that we are in the middle of the night, in a rural area, where I doubt many will have a license?

^^^ I just don't understand why you are apparently afraid. A lot of people including police are allowed to have guns in Thailand. I would go outside and shoot at night to test a gun I just got or worked on. I'd just be sure the environment was safe for others.

I wouldn't be more afraid of gunshots than I would of the sound of a car or truck going by. A lot more people are killed in road crashes than by guns. It's only the way the equipment is handled that matters.

I'm not trying to put you down. I'm just saying that I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't appear that anyone was shooting at you.

Cheers.

^ Not trying to put your down but generally speaking, people who are brought up in a relatively gun free culture do get spooked with gunfire. As a Scotsman, I recall when I relocated to Houston, even after several years I still found random, night-time gunfire rather disconcerting.

I shared a house with a fellow engineer out in Sugar Land after I moved from Sharpstown and he from Fondren. As we sat on the front stoop having a beer after emptying our U-Hauls he asked me, "D'ya hear that?"

I heard cicadas and asked, "What? The crickets?"

He countered, "No. No fricken gun fire!"

And he was a Texan!

OP: For the future if you are concerned I would call the local police volunteer, they all carry mobile phones and have radios connected to the RTP network. They respond a lot faster than RTP and can carry weapons in a threat situation. Unless you have already done so would be a good idea to invite to your place for a few beers so they know you and your location. Also they work closely with the rescue guys, so get them to invite a few, if you have a medical emergency useful to have the local contacts.

EDIT: likely some will not consume alcohol

Edited by simple1

^^^ I just don't understand why you are apparently afraid. A lot of people including police are allowed to have guns in Thailand. I would go outside and shoot at night to test a gun I just got or worked on. I'd just be sure the environment was safe for others.

I wouldn't be more afraid of gunshots than I would of the sound of a car or truck going by. A lot more people are killed in road crashes than by guns. It's only the way the equipment is handled that matters.

I'm not trying to put you down. I'm just saying that I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't appear that anyone was shooting at you.

Cheers.

To clarify my point.

I'm not afraid that the shots were aimed at me, I'm sure they weren't, I only worried that maybe someone with anger management issues had unloaded his gun in the body of one of my neighbours.

Things like that happen in this country, you know.

Cheers.

To clarify my point.

I'm not afraid that the shots were aimed at me, I'm sure they weren't, I only worried that maybe someone with anger management issues had unloaded his gun in the body of one of my neighbours.

Things like that happen in this country, you know.

Take solace in the fact that when Fabulous 103 reports some country bumpkin stumbling over a bullet-riddled, decomposing corpse in the paddock next to yours, you will be able to link to this thread.

Is this post written from the USA?

Not really, though there live some Americans in the area. biggrin.png

Must be American cowboys then................Indians only use their tomahawks thumbsup.gif

I thought Indians only sold peanuts and ice cream on Ban Chang beaches!!

I shared a house with a fellow engineer out in Sugar Land after I moved from Sharpstown and he from Fondren. As we sat on the front stoop having a beer after emptying our U-Hauls he asked me, "D'ya hear that?"

Ummm, did you not realize that the Sharpstown area is affectionately referred to as "the shooting gallery"? (Good thing you didn't move to Greenspoint AKA "Gunspoint")

I never heard unexpected gunfire in the 25+ years I lived in Texas. Around the rifle ranges, sure. On the 4th of July and New Years Eve? Always some idiots that think they go up and don't come down. But never on a normal day.

There's a place I fish off the Bang Na Trad that occasionally gets rattled with a full clip going off as fast as the shooter can pull the trigger. You get used to it after a while...

^ Not trying to put your down but generally speaking, people who are brought up in a relatively gun free culture do get spooked with gunfire. As a Scotsman, I recall when I relocated to Houston, even after several years I still found random, night-time gunfire rather disconcerting.

And he was a Texan!

You bring back memories! When I lived in the Sharpstown and Fondren areas, I had a .30 caliber, pistol grip, carbine with a 30 round clip. Now that was a gun! Being an adventurous young man, I had it with me one day while driving up 45 north. A constable pulled me over for an illegal lane change. I didn't have my DL, insurance or reg. with me. I walked back to him and told him that, and that I had a gun on the front seat. He got out of the car, walked over to mine, looked at the gun, then back at me... He ran the 11 and 12, saw I wasn't a criminal, wrote me a ticket and asked me to put the gun in the trunk in the future. End of story.

I know this is a controversial subject, but the reality is this; People of the world need a way to protect themselves from tyrannical rule. Guns are the answer. Killing innocent people with guns is not.

And he was a Texan!

You bring back memories! When I lived in the Sharpstown and Fondren areas, I had a .30 caliber, pistol grip, carbine with a 30 round clip. Now that was a gun! Being an adventurous young man, I had it with me one day while driving up 45 north. A constable pulled me over for an illegal lane change. I didn't have my DL, insurance or reg. with me. I walked back to him and told him that, and that I had a gun on the front seat. He got out of the car, walked over to mine, looked at the gun, then back at me... He ran the 11 and 12, saw I wasn't a criminal, wrote me a ticket and asked me to put the gun in the trunk in the future. End of story.

I know this is a controversial subject, but the reality is this; People of the world need a way to protect themselves from tyrannical rule. Guns are the answer. Killing innocent people with guns is not.

Speaking of tyrannical rule, imagine how that scenario of you getting out of your car and walking to the cop car with no license or ID and a gun on the seat would have played out if you had been a black kid.

OK, let's not and just say we did.

Sharpstown was still half decent back in the early/mid 90's when I first moved there but it didn't take long to 'slip into the darkness' like further south on Fondren where my buddy unfortunately had bought his place. Our work was on the SW Freeway between Hillcroft and Bellaire so it was an easy commute. I quit Houston ten years later but keep a property up in near Acres Homes, just far enough from 'Gunspoint' so I can't hear their gunfire. Best BBQ shops in town up there though.

Ummm, did you not realize that the Sharpstown area is affectionately referred to as "the shooting gallery"? (Good thing you didn't move to Greenspoint AKA "Gunspoint")

I never heard unexpected gunfire in the 25+ years I lived in Texas. Around the rifle ranges, sure. On the 4th of July and New Years Eve? Always some idiots that think they go up and don't come down. But never on a normal day.

There's a place I fish off the Bang Na Trad that occasionally gets rattled with a full clip going off as fast as the shooter can pull the trigger. You get used to it after a while...

I guess your +25 years of audible gunshot-free life in Texas didn't include evenings near "the shooting gallery" and "Gunspoint" then.

Our neighbor is a policeman. When he gets pissed, he goes out into his garden and fires his pistol into the air.

Keeps the burglars away, but we have to keep fishing the bullets out of our pool.