She Cannot Read Or Write!

Graemej100

I'm looking for some good solid advice.

I have a friend from Surin - or from the jungles close to Surin - who can neither read or write Thal. She is 35. I won't go into the reasons but it's a huge impediment. She cannot even read street signs. She is starting, now, to realise what a massive handicap she is under. She cannot even get a Thai Drivers Licence (legally) because there is a reading element in the test. I went to Bangkok with her a couple of months ago to help her apply for a 6 month visa to EU country. She had to answer forty written questions! The embassy asked if I could help her. I had to sign a declaration of honesty etc. before I could do so. It has really opened my eyes about the need for education in countries like this. There is a huge gap between the 'haves' and 'have nots'. Don't get me started.

Anyway, It's probable that she will come and live in Jomtien in the next month or so.

She is keen to learn to read and write but I have no idea how she can go about it. Any ideas? Remedial reading classes? Is here such a thing in Thailand and if there are where would you find them? Private lessons? I intuitively think this might be the best option. How do I find a teacher? How long each day (?) week (?) would one need?

Any thoughts you might have would really be appreciated, even if it's just a point in the right direction.

Thanks in anticipation for your help.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine learned to read and write Chinese with his kid. They used to do the homework together. It was good for the kid too, he was happy and proud to be his dad teacher. What I mean is, a good way to learn is just to take teaching material for kids and follow the lessons. Maybe the OP can do it too. One stone two birds.

My wife learned to read and write English with some help from me , i NEVER spoke tinglish with her she had a dictionary and just wrote out words and practised ,its the same if she wishes to learn to read and write Thai , its just hard work and practice. also get her childrens books with pictures and the spelling next to it , she will just have to learn the way children do .

You'd be surprised how many older Thais are in this predicament. My mother in law is one of them. Illiteracy is a problem even in the Western World. I remember when I was doing my basic traing in the British Army in the early 60's, of a squad of 22 men only about 7 could read and write. I used to make my beer money from the others reading their girlfriends letters and then writing a reply.

Persevere with your lady. If she's determined it shouldn't be too difficult.

I understand.

I have lived in Thailand for four years now ad can not read anything in the Thai language or script.

When I lived in America, I worked with a few people who could not read or write.

Now I have a much better understanding of what life was like for them.

The local education office in her home Amphur will have adult education classes that are held on the weekends (with a fair amount of homework). These classes are free or very cheap. I know about 3 Thais who completed high school through these classes while working.

I know that these classes will go up to M6 (grade 12) and I would assume that they go right down P1 (1st grade). Adults who take these classes usually finish a year's worth of work in 3 or 4 months (probably because they only study the core subjects & don't waste their time with Thai Dance classes or the other nonsense that is required in the normal Thai Curriculum).

The MOE in Thai is กระทรวงศึกษาธิการ (Grasuangsuksathigan)

Edited by otherstuff1957

The local ampur is funded by Thai government to provide free education to Thai citizens which can conclude with a document which is regarded as equal to a high school education. Its done of a evening in the area I live in Hang Dong, thus the students can work day jobs and continue education.

Many Thai from rural areas from 40 years of age up only attended 3 or 4 years of school, they, from my oberservation cannot read and understan the local newspaper. Note I said understand as Thai is like any language to be able to read, write and converse at a basic level may take 6 to 8 years of classroom work, to get to a point of undeerstanding university level lectures requires double the afementioned time, at least.

Good luck as many of those tasked/paid to teach these students are not top level in any area of study. Math science, English, etc are part of the topics they will be exposed to as well as Thai language.

The number I have heard is 30% of Thais are functionally illiterate.

That's utterly wrong and an unnecessary slur on Thai people. The actual literacy rates are:

Male: 95.6%

Female: 91.5%

Source: CIA World Factbook.

That's utterly wrong and an unnecessary slur on Thai people. The actual literacy rates are:

Quiet you... only lostoday know thai people!

I think the key word here is ''functionally'' To accuse someone of being utterly wrong and then quote a CIA World Factbook as a reliable reference could be be regarded as a misunderstanding, of term used or possiblily functionally illiterate. I am not using Webster to define either term. nor the term 'the term utterly wrong. Just a comment for possible clarification.

Not me. The world bank. You may apologize if you like. wai2.gif
ONE-THIRD of 15-year-old Thais are "functionally illiterate", the World Bank said yesterday, and suggested that the country reform its education system partly through merging and optimising the networks of more than 20,000 "non-isolated" schools nationwide. -

Finance Minister Sommai Phasee, who presided over the event, said he very much agreed with the World Bank that education and human resources were critical to the future of the Thai economy and its political stability. -

http://news.asiaone.com/news/asia/education-reforms-critical-thai-economy-says-world-bank

Edited by lostoday

I realize she is not a Pattaya bar girl but there is a school there that helps women from Pattaya learn all the basic skills.

I think reading and writing are included. I'm sure someone from the Pattaya forum would know.

I can't remember what the place is called (hopefully someone else can) but it's on Naklua Rd. Soi 25, some 200 in. See it here:

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.9564491,100.8925161,3a,75y,69.79h,82.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sESziY8-rfo63rZoVSvAvBw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

It's basically a Christian place who help ladies learn English & a bunch of other (social) things - real nice. I brought a lady there who couldn't read & write (nor English), and they taught her the read & write bit! Full success.

An insulting troll post removed along with a reply quoting it.

It does seem that if you do not read newspapers nor receive mail nor use internet or phone sms etc, after learning to read at schools then you quickly forget to read and write Thai in many communities.

Learn Thai together - great opportunity for you actually. learning to read Thai is a lot easier than writing and you should make serious headway with that over say an hour a day, for say six months. As Thai is pretty easy to read she will have the advantage of knowing what the word means once she can read. My problem is I can read Thai reasonably well but don't have the vocabulary and struggle with the tones. So the chances are that she will pick it up far quicker than you will. I got a heap of "Janet and John" type cartoon books aimed at primary school aged kids and they helped me quite a lot. Good luck!

There are adult education classes in Thailand for just this purpose, all you have to do is find one. Many of the older generation in our village took advantage of classes which were provided. Maybe check with you local Amphur.

I am sure there will be some expats living in Thailand who will be glad to help adults to read and write, but the stupidity of having to get a work permit to do voluntary

unpaid work means it's not possible.

You'd be surprised how many older Thais are in this predicament. My mother in law is one of them. Illiteracy is a problem even in the Western World. I remember when I was doing my basic traing in the British Army in the early 60's, of a squad of 22 men only about 7 could read and write. I used to make my beer money from the others reading their girlfriends letters and then writing a reply.

Persevere with your lady. If she's determined it shouldn't be too difficult.

Remember Ronnie Barker in "Porridge", reading to his cell mate? I always thought this was overdone, but from what you say, it's bloomin' amazing!

I know two quite well known and wealthy local Thai females who cannot read or write, it's not at all unusual.

Yes, so do I, there are many Thais who finish school after Prathom classes. That's about twelve years old.

Lostoday. 30% is probably about right, but AyG, to say males are 95.6% and females 91.5% illiterate, absolutely not.

There are adult education classes in Thailand for just this purpose, all you have to do is find one. Many of the older generation in our village took advantage of classes which were provided. Maybe check with you local Amphur.

I am sure there will be some expats living in Thailand who will be glad to help adults to read and write, but the stupidity of having to get a work permit to do voluntary

You do realize we are talking about a Thai who is unable to read or write Thai, not English. I am not sure how many expats would be very effective teaching Thai to Thais.

As for teaching English, I am also pretty sure someone helping a friend, wife or neighbor with language study would not be at risk of being arrested or deported. It does make sense to control larger group activities to protect both students and teachers in my opinion.

Lostoday. 30% is probably about right, but AyG, to say males are 95.6% and females 91.5% illiterate, absolutely not.

Get yourself a new pair of glasses. I said those percentages were literate - not illiterate.

And no, Lostday is hopelessly wide of the mark. Despite the lack of a reading culture, Thai people are highly literate.

There is a government run school on Naklua Road Soi 25 that teaches, massage, computers, nails and maybe they help with the Thai language. Great programs and next to nothing cost wise (20 baht a lesson for massage). PM me if you want a telephone number as I will have to get one for you.

You do realize we are talking about a Thai who is unable to read or write Thai, not English. I am not sure how many expats would be very effective teaching Thai to Thais.

As for teaching English, I am also pretty sure someone helping a friend, wife or neighbor with language study would not be at risk of being arrested or deported. It does make sense to control larger group activities to protect both students and teachers in my opinion.

Yes, sorry about that, I was referring to English.