Security at our house in Isaan

dsurin66

We moved into an old house in the centre of town. The main entrance is via the rear of the house. I am writing this thread to ask your opinion as to whether we should ask the landlord if we can make things more secure.

Referring to the 1st photo, our washing machine is outside and we had to insert the water pipe through the mozzie screen via the louvre window. it means that we obviously cant close the louvre windows anymore due to that window panel being obstructed by the pipe.

Even if we didn't have the pipe through that window i.e. if it was completely closed, louvre windows are really easy to break into aren't they? The security bars are on the inside - behind the glass. What are your thoughts on this?

Referring to the 2nd photo, Is this steel framed door any good. On the left side where the bolt passes through attached to the main wall.... I speculate that this could be knocked off using a sledge hammer. Its only around 5cm in width and its obviously welded on but I wonder if it could simply be knocked off with the back of an axe head or a sledge hammer. Should I be putting on a better lock somehow?

If someone wants to rob your house they will get in some way or another I presume. Do you think having CCTV is a deterrent?

Thanks for any opinions. post-239628-0-26878700-1440828343_thumb.post-239628-0-42556400-1440828349_thumb.

well you seem to have answered your own question ! this is thailand ! bars on inside normal ,usually cannot open so dont get fried when place burns down !the roof is equally a weak spot as only need tin opener.camera is good ,not expensive ,can take with you when moving but perhaps attracts attention its amazing what you can see on it when its not easily seen by others.best bet are very good neighbours and a huge dog.

Referring to the 2nd photo, Is this steel framed door any good. On the left side where the bolt passes through attached to the main wall.... I speculate that this could be knocked off using a sledge hammer

I could knock off almost all locks with a sledge hammer. never keep a lot of cash, gold, etc.. in your house. That's rule number one.

I remember a really weird German guy who lived in Sisaket. He was a security guard before and then decided to install three security cameras at a house where nothing valuable was in. ( Beside an really old PC in "his office", of course also with a camera...

There's really nothing people could steal and it came as I thought it would. People broke in, because they thought he'd have a lot of cash, gold and diamonds.

​ If you're concerned about the water pipe for your washing machine, just drill a hole through the wall and all is good.

What was your problem again? facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

A dog is by far the easiest deterrent. And no chance really of poisoning if its in the house in the night. but it will wake you. Some cctv link to a hard drive is good as well. Panthip etc have some good deals.

Hide the hard drive though in case they steal it.

Just don't keep anything in your house that you really don't want to lose. As you already said if someone wants to get in they will. My experience in an Isaan village us the people are pretty honest. They will raid fish ponds and things like that, but in 12 years here, I have only heard of one break-in, and that was some drunken kid who had had a fight with the neighbor and broke into their house as revenge, they got him right away and the headman looked after everything.

Locks, CCTV and dogs are all to keep honest people out. If they want to get in they will.coffee1.gif

Correct Jessi. Electrical protection ie alarms cctv's etc can all be deactivated in minutes. Where does your electric meter sit? On a post off of your property that anyone can accesscoffee1.gif . Total time to disconnect, 2 minutes maximum.

Edited by sinbin

It is all common sense

Appreciate if someone is targeting you, unless you have several armed guards you are unlikely to stop them

All around us know we have no money in the house, they complain to often they have to wait half an hour while we go to the ATM

We have two large alsatians, and in the past one was killed

We have two cctv systems and one camera onto the meter outside !!

We have 5/6 lights on sensors

we have many low cost outside lights on time switch

So far so good if it happens one day so be it

We are relaxed but do our best to keep away the opportunist, we do not leave our property unoccupied for long periods

Locks, CCTV and dogs are all to keep honest people out. If they want to get in they will.coffee1.gif

Correct Jessi. Electrical protection ie alarms cctv's etc can all be deactivated in minutes. Where does your electric meter sit? On a post off of your property that anyone can accesscoffee1.gif . Total time to disconnect, 2 minutes maximum.

And as soon as they disconnect the mains the UPS, to which cameras - alarm system - pabx - wireless terminal - internet modems and pc's are connected, get activated.

Edited by Anthony5

A well trained dog is the best deterrent . It must be trained to only accept food off one or two people, trained to attack on command.

And take very good care of it.

I know of one case in a small street every house was broken into except the one that had the Doberman biggrin.png That was in Australia.

It is all common sense

Appreciate if someone is targeting you, unless you have several armed guards you are unlikely to stop them

All around us know we have no money in the house, they complain to often they have to wait half an hour while we go to the ATM

We have two large alsatians, and in the past one was killed

We have two cctv systems and one camera onto the meter outside !!

We have 5/6 lights on sensors

we have many low cost outside lights on time switch

So far so good if it happens one day so be it

We are relaxed but do our best to keep away the opportunist, we do not leave our property unoccupied for long periods

a twelve bore shotgun comes in handy tooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I have lived in Mukdahan for 11 years now and my house is one of Finest and Largest on the Banks of the Mekong River. When i was building it people said that the Lao's would come over the river and rob me by boat. How much could they take by boat, I said. Anyway in 11 years I havn't even had 1 Light Bulb taken from outside the front fence and no attempted break ins of any type. I do have 5 small dogs who protect the property night and day. At night 2 stay outside and 3 inside but I could count on one hand the times they have woke us up at night barking. I guess it depends on the area that you choose to live in and obviously mine is very safe with good Thai's living nearby. I had an English friend who lived about 80 Kl from me who even had an Electrified fence running around the top of his perimeter Walls and still had problems, so it shows that you must pick the area carefully before you build.

I had a mother in law wow she never seemed to sleep.

26 years and only 1 drunk tried to get in.

Poor guy got whipped out of the village.

My mother in law was a wiz with a piece of Bamboo.

Edited by edd

What really is comical are the window bars that are merely screwed to cheap wooden window frames. Thirty seconds and a crowbar (found in any car/truck on the road) and you are finished. Also, if you put bars on the windows, you need the same on the entranceways (metal gates that cover your doors). Now you are really starting to look like a jail. Finally, if your roof is that aluminum sheeting, and there is an easy way up, a theif would simply bend one up and kickout the ceiling (less than a few minutes)

. You, being a foreigner, would be a possible target for a break in. I lived near on a very small road in Udon, and was the only foreigner in that area. Our rented house was an old one, and nobody had cut the lawn or trimmed the numberous trees (2 rai) in 5 years. There was only on side with a cement wall, and people had learned to forage their (It was in the city, but if you can believe it, there were cows and horses on the property).

Part of my military job was being responsible for the security of an Armory, and their are simple things that can be done, which are common sense. Don't make your home look "easy". Shorten, or eliminate bushes/trees close to the house (for obvious reasons). Make it hard to enter your area without being seen by a neighbor. Outdoor lighting, directed towards the perimeter, is necessary. If you have an alarm system, it should start with a motion detecting floodlight situated near your property walls. You want the light in the eyes of who is approaching...so they lose their night vision. Other lights would be on all night, but the motion dectecting lights would only be on with movement...and be very bright (and blinding). Video cameras should be placed high. You can control them remotely with a computer..in the house. I used to have a speaker near the camera, and a program that could initiate a sequence of events when movement was detected). For example...a loud voice recording saying that this area is under surveillance..and photos are sent to a phone.

You notice...all the above is happening before a theif even gets too the house. Once that happens, you already lost. However, If you leave a light and a radio on, have a dog, and your doors and windows look very secure...that would be a benefit

And as soon as they disconnect the mains the UPS, to which cameras - alarm system - pabx - wireless terminal - internet modems and pc's are connected, get activated.

So everytime the power goes down your alarms etc activate? Must be hellish during the rain season?