So, today I decided to check some condos for sale.

Originally, I wanted to buy a couple to rent on airbnb.

When I checked a few buildings, I was surprised (or rather shocked) to see a notice on the door which stated (in perfect English, mind you) something like this.

"Please note that this is a private residence and not a hotel. Short term rentals are in breach of a Thai law... if you are not familiar with Thai law please contact the management.". Again, not exactly like this, but close enough.

My question now is I see a lot of condos in Bangkok listed on Airbnb. How do these people manage to get away with is as some of them are even hiring agents to deal with these rentals. Or are there certain condos (developers) that don't care? Actually, I am pleasantly surprised that there is such a law (if there is) and that the board cares about its residents. I was still shocked, though.

Renting at airbnb is same as if you run a hotel. For a hotel you need normaly a licence and many other regulations apply. Almost all airbnb objects are illegal and in most cases the owners even don't pay tax. It's only a matter of time when the goverments will check this very sharp.

Many cities around the world are cracking down on this. Plus, each building can set it's own rules and regulations. I use to live in a condo where NO rentals were allowed at all. Only owner occupied.

Yes, in Canada these condos are called co-op.

I am not sure if there are any in Thailand?

I think they can set whatever rules they want, right? It's up to the building and the management/association. I have heard about buildings here who won't allow these types of short term rentals. Makes sense. If I was living in a nice condo, I wouldn't want this either.

There are also many private condos advertised on Agoda. When (as a licenced hotel owner), I complained to Agoda about them advertising 'illegal' hotels in direct competition to my legal hotels, they weren't interested at all to delist the condos. (Not to my surprise, since Agoda is getting commission from every booking...)

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, MJD RAWAI said:

I've read nearly all the posts. I have yet to see if anyone has actually been prosecuted or had the law round for some 'tax' of some sort? 

You missed the news on the prosecution of a condo manager in Soi Sukhumvit 11?

7 minutes ago, MJD RAWAI said:

45 minutes ago, MJD RAWAI said:

I've read nearly all the posts. I have yet to see if anyone has actually been prosecuted or had the law round for some 'tax' of some sort? 

Topic's been done and done again several times recently.  Yes, it is happening.  Use the search function.  Hundreds of posts in quite a few threads.  Lots more than we'll probably see on this warmed over dead horse.