Tourist visa then retire in Thailand

Cadcat;that's for the details. Interesting you were able to do this from Phuket , and you didn't have to travel to Bangkok.

maybe I should visit the local immigration office in Chiang mai and see if I can convert tourist Visa to non-immigration single entry 90 day visa.

However, others say it can not be done, but maybe the rules have changed

I took the Non Immigrant O-A route applying in my home country. Why? Simple I wanted the security of knowing I had just a few days shy of 2 years in Thailand before I slimmed my life down to 2 suitcases and a carry on.

Sure it cost $381 US (13,500 THB today) but I had the security of knowing where I stood with Thai immigration for 2 years. Yes it took a little more time in my country, but I wasn't in Thailand looking for some piece of paper that immigration wants that I don't have.

Everybody has different circumstances, but if possible I'd suggest taking the time and effort to obtain the O-A.

Well,- let's see.

I will be in Phuket town today And as it might be important for a many people,- check in person, (showing my passport and visa history) what the current situation is.

Of course this info will be posted here later.

And: I'm fully aware that the volunteers just only try to do their best :)

So lets wait for the Phuket Immi info a little bit...

It would of course help if one of the silent majority that hardly ever posts could provide a more current picture.

Well,- let's see.

I will be in Phuket town today And as it might be important for a many people,- check in person, (showing my passport and visa history) what the current situation is.

Of course this info will be posted here later.

And: I'm fully aware that the volunteers just only try to do their best smile.png

So lets wait for the Phuket Immi info a little bit...

It would of course help if one of the silent majority that hardly ever posts could provide a more current picture.

There have been reports on the forum for a year now that the local offices can no longer approve and issue the visa. That includes Phuket.

If I recall correctly the first reports were in October of last year. You got yours in July of last year.

Have been to Phuket Immi and have to confirm what ubonje (thank you for all the work you do for us!) posted.

No more VOA to Non-O in Phuket on grounds of retirement anymore.

There have been critical postings lately concerning the volunteers.

Asking when Phuket stopped to issue Non-O, the answer was: on the 9th this month (!)

To say it mildly, I'm frustated about the ever changing info even from the people you need to trust.

Of course, I don't forget that the volunteers are making the application process easier.

If ony for the people who don't speak fluent thai. and/or spent hours on this forum.

Be aware that "Converting" a visa exempt (not a tourist visa) entry to a "O" visa entry requires two visits to Bangkok immigration !

You may find it easier to obtain a single entry "O" visa in Vientiane, Laos.

be aware that applies only to people who don't know that it can be done not only in BKK but also in a worldwide renowned Thai resort city within 48 hours and, if need be, even less time whistling.gif

Be aware that "Converting" a visa exempt (not a tourist visa) entry to a "O" visa entry requires two visits to Bangkok immigration !

be aware that applies only to people who don't know that it can be done not only in BKK but also in a worldwide renowned Thai resort city within 48 hours and, if need be, even less time whistling.gif

Not anymore.

There are few offices near Bangkok that can accept the application and forward it to Bangkok for approval.

Not anymore.

There are few offices near Bangkok that can accept the application and forward it to Bangkok for approval.

i beg to differ. to be on the safe side i called today for a couple that arrives in two weeks wishing to settle in above-mentioned resort city as retirees.

So Naam.

Let me confirm.

You are saying that conversion applications (30 day stamp or tourist visa converted to O visa for purpose of then applying for retirement extension) are accepted at Jomtien immigration office and processed there directly now without needing to send to Bangkok?

Correct?

If so, thanks, that is certainly news worth broadcasting widely and CLEARLY.

Edited by Jingthing

It might be possible if it was done under the table by using an agent and paying a large fee for ti.

Many reports on this forum of people of people applying and then waiting up to 2 weeks to get the visa/entry stamps after it is approved in Bangkok.

Update

Re: Obtaining a Non-Immigrant 90 day single entry visa from Manila.

I phoned the Thai Embassy in Manila yesterday, yes I can obtain the visa but he said that they are only for Filipino nationals and Non Filipinos that are residing in the Philippines.

Normal documentation is required, such as cash of 80,000php in the bank, medical certificate and a MBI Clearance (Similar to a Police clearance back home)

However, the stumbling block for me is to obtain a copy of the MBI Clearance, which requires two visits to the center on two different days, Unfortunately for me, there is no center where i work so I'd need to fly to Manila and overnight there before returning back to work. (that done twice, big cost for flights, accommodation and time off work)

So that crosses out getting a Non-immigrant 90 day Visa either from New Zealand or the Philippines.

My plan is now:

Obtain a tourist visa in Manila either a 60 day visa or the new soon to be released 6 month visa(released on the 13th November)

Then 21 days before my visa expires, head down to Bangkok and apply for a visa conversion Tourist to Non-immigrant

I have been considering going to Laos to obtain the visa and generally i like the idea, however, if I go to Laos and the rules have somehow changed or I didn't have enough paperwork, I would then have to return back to Thailand empty handed with only a 14day visa from the border crossing. this would obviously cancel any ideas of doing anything with the Bangkok imagination. Flight out of the country would be the next option or maybe a return trip to Laos.

But if I renew in Bangkok, I would feel very confident that the process would work and my backup plan would then be to head over to Laos.

correct me if I'm wrong, the requirement for a Non-resident 90 day single entry visa is, when applying in Bangkok or Laos

cash in bank, 800,000baht some say 2 months others say just one day, (when applying for retirement visa, 2-3 months is required) I'm covered either way

CV or personal details of myself

Then the normal paperwork filled out

Medical certificate (Not required)

Police Clearance (Not required)

It might be possible if it was done under the table by using an agent and paying a large fee for ti.

Many reports on this forum of people of people applying and then waiting up to 2 weeks to get the visa/entry stamps after it is approved in Bangkok.

"under the table" would be illegal. but it is legal to use an agent and pay additional courier fees to and from BKK where the 30 day entry visa (which in Thailand is not a visa laugh.png) is converted.

I suspect it is safe to believe this is not being done to the letter of the law and as such using such a service could come back to bite. Highly advise not doing. Unless there are valid medical reasons you are required to be present for extensions of stay.

I took the Non Immigrant O-A route applying in my home country. Why? Simple I wanted the security of knowing I had just a few days shy of 2 years in Thailand before I slimmed my life down to 2 suitcases and a carry on.

Sure it cost $381 US (13,500 THB today) but I had the security of knowing where I stood with Thai immigration for 2 years. Yes it took a little more time in my country, but I wasn't in Thailand looking for some piece of paper that immigration wants that I don't have.

Everybody has different circumstances, but if possible I'd suggest taking the time and effort to obtain the O-A.

Please explain how a visa that costs $200 can end up costing you $181 more than the norm

Even with Express Mail to and from @ $19.99 X 2 = $39.98, that still leaves $142 not accounted for. The only additional cost I have ever incurred was $10 for a police report from my home state

I agree with your reasoning for getting an O-A, I just can't understand your math

Please explain how a visa that costs $200 can end up costing you $181 more than the norm

Even with Express Mail to and from @ $19.99 X 2 = $39.98, that still leaves $142 not accounted for. The only additional cost I have ever incurred was $10 for a police report from my home state

I agree with your reasoning for getting an O-A, I just can't understand your math

The cost do mount up when applying for the visa in your home country,

for example

I looked at doing a O-A while I was in Christchurch, at the end i could do it as I couldn't show my finances, My money is in Australia.

medical cost was going to be +200 NZD

Express mail postage (x2)

Police clearance (not sure if there is a fee for that, Australia there is, but New Zealand, I don't know)

But at the end of the day, The best option as, Langsuan Man said, is to get it in your home land.

A medical certificate could be very costly in USA for some applicants. Getting the financial and police paperwork could also cost a bit in time an money.

I don't remember the exact figures but the medical cert cost around 90$, the police report costs around $60 and the rest was copy fees for the 4 required copies of certain documents and the notary fees required by the Thai Consulate LA.

I lived 8 miles from the Thai Consulate in LA, so there were no postage fees.

"under the table" would be illegal. but it is legal to use an agent and pay additional courier fees to and from BKK where the 30 day entry visa (which in Thailand is not a visa laugh.png) is converted.

Perhaps not illegal but certainly outside normal immigration procedures but still under the table.

A non immigrant visa application normally takes 2 weeks for approval in Bangkok.

• 2 months later...

Update: I'm now applying for my visa in Laos, while there i plan to tour about on my motorbike for 10 days

Within 7 days i fly to Thailand on a visa on arrival, then go to Laos vientiane within 30 days and apply for a Non immigrate 90 day visa so i can start applying for the retirement visa in Chiang mai.

Just a final check before I head over to Vientiane, has anything changed? or someone with personal experience so I get this trip done without any problems?

Things I'm taking with me:

Passport and two photo copies

2x passports photos of myself

A letter saying where I live in Chiang mai and a copy of my Condominium Title

Curriculum Vitae

Visa application form

and my bank book with a balance of 800,000 baht

1,900Baht fee

is that all I need?

Thanks in advance

Update: I'm now applying for my visa in Laos, while there i plan to tour about on my motorbike for 10 days

Within 7 days i fly to Thailand on a visa on arrival, then go to Laos vientiane within 30 days and apply for a Non immigrate 90 day visa so i can start applying for the retirement visa in Chiang mai.

Just a final check before I head over to Vientiane, has anything changed? or someone with personal experience so I get this trip done without any problems?

Things I'm taking with me:

Passport and two photo copies

2x passports photos of myself

A letter saying where I live in Chiang mai and a copy of my Condominium Title

Curriculum Vitae

Visa application form

and my bank book with a balance of 800,000 baht

1,900Baht fee

is that all I need?

Thanks in advance

Copy of passport photo page and Lao visa/entry stamp page.

The photos have to be 3.5 X 4.5 cm. See application form New Vientiane Form.pdf

If they ask for proof of residence about anything with your name and address on it would be accepted.

Curriculum Vitae is not needed.

You should get your bank book updated just before you leave the country. They have asked some people for a letter from the bank also.

The fee for a single entry non-o visa is 2000 baht,

Thanks for the replay ubonjoe

​Seems straight forward to me

​I have another question,

when i apply for my retirement visa in Chiang mai, should I get Multiple or Singe

I plan to exit Thailand at lest twice per year.

Cost of single visa:1,900 baht

Cost of Multiple visa ??

When I exit thailand when i have my retirement visa, if i have single, what requirements is required so that i retain my retirement visa?

Thanks

when i apply for my retirement visa in Chiang mai, should I get Multiple or Singe

Cost of Multiple visa ??

When I exit thailand when i have my retirement visa, if i have single, what requirements is required so that i retain my retirement visa?

Thanks

You will be applying for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement not a visa at immigration for a fee of 1900 baht.

After you have your extension stamp you can apply for a single re-entry permit that has a fee of 1000 baht or a multiple that costs 3800 baht.

Cost of Multiple visa ??

Thanks

You will be apply for an "extension of stay" NOT a visa and the fee for the extension is 1900 Bht!

If travel is desired during the validity of the extension of stay a re entry permit is required, 1000 Bht single re entry or 3800 multiple re entry in addition to the cost of the extension.

From what I understand, I should only get a multiple re entry if i exit Thailand more than 4 times in one year

Thanks for clearly that up for me, I had thought when you apply for a retirement visa, while in Thailand, you have a chose of the two (Single or Multiple) but it's actually a function after you have obtained the Retirement Visa. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

From what I understand, I should only get a multiple re entry if i exit Thailand more than 4 times in one year

Thanks for clearly that up for me, I had thought when you apply for a retirement visa, while in Thailand, you have a chose of the two (Single or Multiple) but it's actually a function after you have obtained the Retirement Visa. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

There is no "retirement visa " ! You will be applying for an "extension of stay based on retirement". It is not a visa.

A re-entry permit can be applied after the extension of stay has been stamped into your passport.

Please read that you do not apply for or get a visa - you only get an extension of stay for one year - this allows no travel or entry, so if you want to travel and keep your stay alive you must obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving. As said cost is 1k single of 3,8k multi. For some making only a couple of trips the multi is cost effective as they do not have to make new trips to obtain prior to each exit - only you can make that decision.