Has Anyone Been Ripped Off By The Bar?

Chan_inbangkok

Has anyone been ripped off by the bar?

My husband has got done once on Friday night. What happen was....the girls will come over and say somethings in English with the bad accent that you hardly understand. He did say yes [ stupid him ] but when the bill came out it was 14 drinks in all that they asked for and help themselves for the drinks. Obviously he didn't have enough money so I had to go over and paid the bill for him. He did promise me not to go there or anywhere with the girls hanging outside again. That incident upset me and the baby I'm carrying a lot. I was his false that step in there at the first place even so he promised me not to go there before. In England where we used to live has no pub or bar like this so I never felt that I have to worry about it. I want to hear from the couple in bkk if you have any problem on your relationship since you moved here or how you manage if your husband wants to go out for a drink down Sukhumvit etc. ?/

P.S. My husband goes to Sukhumvit now and again but he only went to a good place most of the time. I have to give him that.

Chan

A lot depends on how drunk you are.

Be aware of them adding extra drinks onto your bill. Check each tab as it's placed into your bin. I often initial each chit as it's put into my bin.

Don't just hand the bin to the girl and trust her to add it up correctly. Add it up yourself, tell her the total and pay the exact money if possible.

Be aware of them adding extra drinks onto your bill. Check each tab as it's placed into your bin. I often initial each chit as it's put into my bin.

Don't just hand the bin to the girl and trust her to add it up correctly. Add it up yourself, tell her the total and pay the exact money if possible.

Logical advice but it gets chaotic when an individual or group is in a bar for hours with a single check bin.

Has anyone been ripped off by the bar?

My husband has got done once on Friday night. What happen was....the girls will come over and say somethings in English with the bad accent that you hardly understand. He did say yes [ stupid him ] but when the bill came out it was 14 drinks in all that they asked for and help themselves for the drinks. Obviously he didn't have enough money so I had to go over and paid the bill for him. He did promise me not to go there or anywhere with the girls hanging outside again. That incident upset me and the baby I'm carrying a lot. I was his false that step in there at the first place even so he promised me not to go there before. In England where we used to live has no pub or bar like this so I never felt that I have to worry about it. I want to hear from the couple in bkk if you have any problem on your relationship since you moved here or how you manage if your husband wants to go out for a drink down Sukhumvit etc. ?/

P.S. My husband goes to Sukhumvit now and again but he only went to a good place most of the time. I have to give him that.

Chan

i see it happen all the time, never really got caught myself not with 14 drinks anyway!! maybe the odd one..... which bar was he in?

I wouldnt worry too much if he goes to these places, if you try to stop it then there could be other problems, easier to trust each other IMO.

Logical advice but it gets chaotic when an individual or group is in a bar for hours with a single check bin.

One bin for group drinking is just asking to be ripped off.

Any individual who is drinking in a bar for hours must be well on the way to intoxication. More reason to be observant and to employ a method so that you only pay for what you consume.

It was sweet heart club on soi 7/1. I trusted him when he said he is not borther to go in these places and waste the money on them. Up until last Friday.

chan

Thanks everone who post the message here!

I find it very hard to believe that he was ripped off in Sweetheart! :D !

I know the owners very well and they don't need to rip off drunk farang..... :o

Perhaps your husband is not being entirely honest with you! :D !

Probably a victim of the dreaded "Short Time" scam, i fell for it many a time :o

Whats a "short time" scam, I thought short time was when you had a the company of a lady for ( well we all know what :-) ) not paying for drinks not consumed as described in first post. Or are you saying the guy went short time with a lady, didn't have enough cash and, asked them to put it down as lady drinks so his wife would be none the wiser.

Hi I am the husband involved in the above problem.

My wife told me this morning that she needed to know how other couples manage going out individually when there are so many distractions in Bangkok.

I will give you my version of events:-

I went to the bar in Sukhumvit and ordered a drink at 2-00pm. (a beer for me and then a drink for the lady) She was drinking Thai whisky and I thought being so "early" in the day I would buy a bottle of whisky. I asked how much and they said 800 baht. I thought that was ok because I might usually drink that much in beer anyway.

I must admit that I drank at least 80% of the bottle in the next few hours. At some time during the afternoon I asked the lady if she wanted to play pool but she said that she did not want to. Ok so I left it at that.

However two hours later she asked if I would like to play pool upstairs. I said ok and we went upstairs followed by three of her colleagues. I did not notice any drinks in their hands whilst we were playing pool and no one "chok deed" me which as you all know is the first thing they do when you buy a drink. We were playing doubles. Also my bottle of whiskly had finished and I was on the last drink from that bottle.

After the games finished we went downstairs to settle the bill. I was surprised when they gave me a bill for nearly 3000 baht. I expected a bill for approximately 1300 baht.

The bill stated there were 14 lady drinks at 130 baht each. All I know I had permitted was the first one when I walked in.

Looking back I cannot recall being asked for any drinks(or volunteering to buy) for the staff but I did have a lot to drink but I was still in possession of my faculties(disappointingly I was not in posession of enough money to pay the bill)!!

I had 2000 baht on me and was short by 790 baht. What could I do. The mamasan asked for security but I did not wish to part with my phone. A phone call to my wife followed and she arrived at the bar 30 minutes later.

As you may imagine she was not happy with the situation:( ..............

However next day being able to think things more clearly I realized I could not give the whisky away in the afternoon. However when it was nearly empty I found more friends than I needed.

I wonder if ladies get a commision when a customer buys a bottle of whisky or if it is only when they are bought a ladydrink?

That is my version of events....I will now be going to the EnglishIrish type bars in future. I know where I stand when I go in those establishments.

I just wonder about one thing:

You go to a bar, not only drinking beer or whisky, but chatting and playing with bar girls.

Think about this situation vice versa: Your wife is going (alone) in a bar, heavily drinking, all the time surrounded by foreigners who just want... well, you know what...

Would you like that? And yes, I can imagine, your wife wasn't amused by the situation.

Edited by Rajah