Introduction and Howto

Chris Botha

Hey All,

I'm moving from Australia to Thailand (work Amata Nakorn, stay CasaLuna) in December/January. I have been searching the forums and have found many answers already. For that information, thank you.

The search function and the diverse way information is scattered across threads makes it difficult to collect the pertinent information easily, if its against forum policy to ask these mostly generic questions here please reply with pointers to concise threads.

I will return to this one single thread as questions come up for me and hopefully not pollute the threads too much, thank you for your patience.

What pitfalls I should be looking to avoid when moving from Australia to Thailand, as mentioned bringing my motorcycles over is going to be a costly affair and I wont even bother with cars.

Similarly we are thinking of just putting the furniture into storage and renting a furnished place in CasaLuna.

My understanding from a few forums is that licences from AUS are easy to get transferred to Thai system, does that include motorcycle licence?

Are there any current property scams I should be aware of in terms of us only renting/leasing long term (5 years)

Kids with go to Regent in Pattaya as far as i know (my wife is handling that stuff). Does anyone have any strong feelings why that either IS or IS NOT a good school?

The company will lease an SUV and provide us with a driver for a year while we "adjust", but from my own limited experience between Amata and Bangsaen its not as crazy as the traffic in BKK? So I assume that between Bangsaen and Pattaya would be slightly slower still?

Any members out between Bangsaen and Pattaya feel free to IM me please, about local info.

(any riders out that way, let me knwo the best roads please!)

Thank you fro your help.

Christopher Botha

My understanding from a few forums is that licences from AUS are easy to get transferred to Thai system, does that include motorcycle licence?

Get an International driving permit/International drivers licence before leaving.

Makes obtaining a Thai DL easier.

Same for motorcycle and car.

In Thailand you get two separate plastic cards.

Edited by KhunBENQ

So I assume that between Bangsaen and Pattaya would be slightly slower still?

Ouch!

There is not much good to say about traffic.

From CasaLunar to Pattaya there is basically no other option than driving down Sukhumvit road.

Traffic towards Pattaya is crazy at times.

Jams and congestion are the norm.

You need careful planning of time of day and day of week to avoid the worst.

Thanks all, I have been the for a total of perhaps 6 months over the last two years. The trip from Amata to Bangsaen will be 25 minutes usually, but ive been stuck in it for 2 hours once (payday on a friday) so understand its not great. We had looked at the other school near the golf course too https://www.google.com.au/maps/@13.0385842,101.0408782,15.5z?hl=en but decided its maybe wiser to stick on the main roads. And Casa is far closer for me than living their.

Get an International driving permit/International drivers licence before leaving.

Makes obtaining a Thai DL easier.

Same for motorcycle and car.

In Thailand you get two separate plastic cards.

thats the info I'm after! Thanks.

I am Canadian. On a presumption that your driver's licence is like ours, has your photo on it, and serves as your primary ID for domestic purposes; check the expiry date on it. If it is due to expire shortly after your intended departure date, you may want to delay your departure long enough to get it renewed. If your DL system is like ours, allowing it to expire presents unneeded difficulties when you eventually return to Aus. and want to renew it.

Also check your health insurance to see how long it will cover you after you have moved here. You may also want to check with your public health authority to see what inoculations are recommended for the children. Some of these may need to be done before you leave, if they are to be fully effective upon arrival here.

Hi Chris.

You can renew your Aussie drivers license online. From Thailand call, 61734050985. Nice lady will issue you with an authorization code. Once you have the code you can renew license on line. Oh, the code is only good for 24 hours. You can request as many codes as you like if you don't use within the 24 hour period.

Re private health insurance. Most health funds will "suspend" your policy if you are out of the country for any time. Produce your return boarding pass & policy will be reinstated from that date.

I'd highly recommend getting a Thai drivers, rider license as soon as possible. If I can obtain both, anyone can. Valuable ID document & much easier to have on your person than passport. Don't take too much notice of all the negatives about driving over here. I purchased a car in Bangkok the day after arriving & in the past 18 months have clocked up over 25,000 K. It's all about attitude & a bit of confidence.

Hope this is of some help. PM me if there's anything else I can offer.

Cheers..... Mal.

Hi Chris.

You can renew your Aussie drivers license online. From Thailand call, 61734050985. Nice lady will issue you with an authorization code. Once you have the code you can renew license on line. Oh, the code is only good for 24 hours. You can request as many codes as you like if you don't use within the 24 hour period.

Re private health insurance. Most health funds will "suspend" your policy if you are out of the country for any time. Produce your return boarding pass & policy will be reinstated from that date.

I'd highly recommend getting a Thai drivers, rider license as soon as possible. If I can obtain both, anyone can. Valuable ID document & much easier to have on your person than passport. Don't take too much notice of all the negatives about driving over here. I purchased a car in Bangkok the day after arriving & in the past 18 months have clocked up over 25,000 K. It's all about attitude & a bit of confidence.

Hope this is of some help. PM me if there's anything else I can offer.

Cheers..... Mal.

Thanks a LOT. My wife is reading this too and I thank you on behalf of her too. she is quite nervous about all this.

clap2.gif

I think the actual law is... Child's feet should be able to reach the passenger foot pegs. There's also a law about helmets & riding side saddle. But like all other road rules... everyone ignores em & 99% of the time police never enforce. That is unless they are a bit short of beer money.

If that's your son riding with you.... you won't have a problem.

Cheers..... Mal.

For used motorcycle will need to arrange import permit prior to uplifting to Thailand

Also tax is 60% + vat + excise tax...so can be very expensive to import

Also you would need to have work permit before you can apply for the permit

You will also need to have your 1 yr visa and work permit for duty privilege for moving household effects

Depending on your company could take a couple days, weeks or months to get your WP and visa straight

Would recommend booking the move through a trusted customs broker in Thailand rather than agent in Australia

As easy to export... More challenging for the import , so better to have agent in Thailand

Edited by CWMcMurray

A few questions if i can.

Bupa are especially cagey about giving quotes for a family of four, two adults uder 45 in good health and two kids under 13.

can anyone give me a rough idea please what you are paying per month.. my experience dealing with bupa so far has not been pleasant, are there other better options?

I suggest you post your specific school question on the "Education Forum" or the "Pattaya Forum"

I had a large, 1000cc motorcycle in the US but after renting large bikes in Pattaya several times, decided that the smaller motorbikes so popular here are really much more appropriate for local conditions. They are more maneuverable, easier to park, attract less police attention and are less likely to tempt you to let it rip.

I suggest you post your specific school question on the "Education Forum" or the "Pattaya Forum"

I had a large, 1000cc motorcycle in the US but after renting large bikes in Pattaya several times, decided that the smaller motorbikes so popular here are really much more appropriate for local conditions. They are more maneuverable, easier to park, attract less police attention and are less likely to tempt you to let it rip.

No real option with the bike, is out of production limited bike, cannot be replaced.

Does TH have bike rego tax like AUS based on CC size? or flat rate like South Africa? (the one bike is a 850cc the other is a 1700cc)

Noted on the school question, its resolved by the fact that for proximity its the ONLY option.