New law when driving without license ?

hawkeye76

You need to either get a licence in your country and then apply for a international Drivers Permit, or get yourself a licence here when you arrive. International Drivers Permits can only be use for 60 days on a tourist visa or 90 days on a Non Immigrant visa. Since you say you are on a tourist visa, you can get a Thai licence for 1 year (some say it's now 2 years, so it may have changed).

Remember this…. no licence will mean you are responsible for any and every accident you are involved in, whether your fault or not. If you injure or kill someone, your life will be hell. If you have an accident and you injure or kill my partner or child, you will hope like hell I don't find you, you will be paying for the rest of your life thumbsup.gif Just saying, as I'm sure a lot of others on here would feel the same. In all honesty, go get your licence, 1 day and about 800 baht for both car and motorbike.

One more time, IDP's are not legally valid in Thailand.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be exact it is named "International Driving Permit" IDP. It is issued in the country where you have a national driving lisence, and since 2012 it is valid for 3 years. You can use IDP in all countries exept in the issuing country.

My IDP was issued in Norway 20.09.2013 and is valid till 20.09.2016. IDP is valid for the categories and subcategories of vehicles which has a stamp. Mine is stamped for all exept B1 ( 4 wheels motorbike).

Carerra

"You can use IDP in all countries exept in the issuing country".

Providing that the country you want to use it in has ratified the IDP convention which Thailand has not, ergo, IDP's are not legally valid here.

Disagree. Before I got my Thai Licence, I was on an IDP. Stopped twice and my IDP was accepted both times by the police. And no tea money involved.

To be exact it is named "International Driving Permit" IDP. It is issued in the country where you have a national driving lisence, and since 2012 it is valid for 3 years. You can use IDP in all countries exept in the issuing country.

My IDP was issued in Norway 20.09.2013 and is valid till 20.09.2016. IDP is valid for the categories and subcategories of vehicles which has a stamp. Mine is stamped for all exept B1 ( 4 wheels motorbike).

Carerra

Providing that the country you want to use it in has ratified the IDP convention which Thailand has not, ergo, IDP's are not legally valid here.

Disagree. Before I got my Thai Licence, I was on an IDP. Stopped twice and my IDP was accepted both times by the police. And no tea money involved.

It may have been accepted but it doesn't change the fact they are not legal, let's face it, most Thai police would appear to accept almost any document rather than lose face and/or lose tea money. But OK, let's turn the issue on its head, how can they be legal if as Tywais states earlier that Thailand has not ratified the convention, presumably ratification prevents issuance and also acceptance?

Edited by chiang mai

Carerra

It may have been accepted but it doesn't change the fact they are not legal, let's face it, most Thai police would appear to accept almost any document rather than lose face and/or lose tea money. But OK, let's turn the issue on its head, how can they be legal if as Tywais states earlier that Thailand has not ratified the convention, presumably ratification prevents issuance and also acceptance?

Beats me, I'm not a lawyer. All I can do is relate what happened. With my newly-acquired 5 year Thai licence, irrelevant now.

Beats me, I'm not a lawyer. All I can do is relate what happened. With my newly-acquired 5 year Thai licence, irrelevant now.

Irrelevant to you now perhaps but highly relevant to thousands of others who may be reading this and trying to find out what the current real world situation is on this point in Thailand, who knows, perhaps all those police check points that allegedly pulled over only farangs, really were/are following the law!

I have to apologize for not given out full details regarding Thailand and the IDP. Careless of me to only mention the 1968 convention which is the one Thailand has not ratified. One of the changes in the 1968 convention is the IDP is valid for 3 year. The 1949 convention, Thailand is a member and validity of 1 year with time restrictions that can vary from country. There is also the 1926 convention which I believe only 2 states require.

I should have been more concise/complete so again apologies. wai.gif BTW, I drove around on MC for the 1st 2-3 years with an expired US license and expired IDP and the police accepted it. Not recommended though. biggrin.png

post-566-0-89405800-1441192378_thumb.jpg

Full document in PDF format

As a farang without a license from my own country, coming to Thailand on a tourist visa (not married and i do not study in Thailand),

i can not apply for a license in Thailand.

You need a student visa, a pension visa, or some kind of non-o visa. If you are below 50 years old its impossible.

But if we can get back to the topic now, the question was if anyone hear about the new law/rules regarding the law ?

One moment,just thinking, you do not have a driving license,and you want to come over here and drive? Sorry mate not many expats will want to share the rod with you. we have more than our fair quoter of non licensed drivers.

Why do you all ( from the EU think you can break the law here??

When in Rome comes to mind ... cheesy.gif

:Quoting the second link, it says:

"An International Driving Permit (IDP) is an identity document that allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle in any country that recognises IDPs. To be valid, the IDP must be accompanied by a valid driving licence."

So, the question is : Is the IDP legal in Thailand and recognized therein???clap2.gif

Yes IDP is recognized in Thailand the 1949 Convention.

Admission of guilt. If you drive without a license you need locking up for everyones safety. No sympathy at all

I dont have a licence....and i drive a 150 cc motocy better than 99% of people in LOS....its not rocket science.

I drive slow and never drive when drinking.

Back home i dont drive at all.

Then you are a bit of a txxx,agree?

I have to apologize for not given out full details regarding Thailand and the IDP. Careless of me to only mention the 1968 convention which is the one Thailand has not ratified. One of the changes in the 1968 convention is the IDP is valid for 3 year. The 1949 convention, Thailand is a member and validity of 1 year with time restrictions that can vary from country. There is also the 1926 convention which I believe only 2 states require.

I should have been more concise/complete so again apologies. wai.gif BTW, I drove around on MC for the 1st 2-3 years with an expired US license and expired IDP and the police accepted it. Not recommended though. biggrin.png

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

And?

And... the IDP is valid in Thailand, this despite Thailand not having ratified a single prior convention, case closed.

Just imagine you have an accident and someone die and you not have license, in many countries it is considered as murder and that means bye bye baby. Now think twice before driving without license.

In Thailand its only murder when foreigner kill thai - if other way around just bad luck and 2,000B fine ...

But just get the Drivers License - it take one day, 50 Q and you have to get at least 45 right, after that 2 min driving test - a drunk orangutang could pass it even tho I hear many dont .... gigglem.gif

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

And?

And... the IDP is valid in Thailand, this despite Thailand not having ratified a single prior convention, case closed.

Thailand is a member of the 1949 Convention

Why not just use an international driving license issued by your home country?

Difficult to get an International License if you don't have a Driving License from your home country.

If he doesn't have a driving license then he shouldn't be driving here nor anywhere else anyway.

He is just the kind of lawbreaker we don't need here

Your gf is correct as far as I am aware. I havent had the pleasure of being nicked when in LOS but I was told that the fine and/or monkey house time was as you describe. I was told at the same time that the police were mainly concentrating on East Pattaya and mainly chasing 'farang'.

I passed my test this year on a TR visa and received a 2 year license

Never heard of a 2 year license!!!

I've never heard of a 2 year license either. A 1 year temporary yes. Then a 5 year license after. Would welcome any info on this. Thanks

Your gf is correct as far as I am aware. I havent had the pleasure of being nicked when in LOS but I was told that the fine and/or monkey house time was as you describe. I was told at the same time that the police were mainly concentrating on East Pattaya and mainly chasing 'farang'.

I've never heard of a 2 year license either. A 1 year temporary yes. Then a 5 year license after. Would welcome any info on this. Thanks
Since march? temporary license is 2 years

Well they forgot to tell Chom Thong, I did my bike and car license their in March and was issued the 5 year for the car but only one year for the bike! Bugger!

Just imagine you have an accident and someone die and you not have license, in many countries it is considered as murder and that means bye bye baby. Now think twice before driving without license.

In Thailand its only murder when foreigner kill thai - if other way around just bad luck and 2,000B fine ...

But just get the Drivers License - it take one day, 50 Q and you have to get at least 45 right, after that 2 min driving test - a drunk orangutang could pass it even tho I hear many dont .... gigglem.gif

Whilst you say a "Drunk Orang Utang Could Pass" If you actually read the Thai Computer Test, it would actually take a "Drunk Orang Utang" to actually understand them, they make no sense and at time are contradictory. There is absolutely no "learning"or benefit to driving skills in the computer test, it is simply as in all of Thai tests, LEARNING WHAT TO SAY - "The Sky Is Green" - Yes, Correct!

As for the practical test, I kind of agree with you in the main, it is not that difficult, the only part I had a bit of an issue with was the reversing into the restricted space, it is easy in a small Toyota, not so easy in a 4 x 4, and also, if like me you are nervous when you are being watched does not exactly help, maybe a couple of beers prior to the practical would stay the shakes!

The Thai test teaches drivers absolutely nothing, just the usual rote learning and remembering answers.

Would you drive in your own country without a license? What gives you the right to travel to another country and willingly break the law. Ok Thailand can be a bit lawless and open to curruption but as visitors/residents we have a duty to obey the laws. If you are prepared to drive without a license then do not worry about the 2000 baht fine. You should be worried about the 1000 times bigger amount you will get if you injure a thai on the road. Whats more it would be deservedly so. Do it right or not do it at all.

Why not just use an international driving license issued by your home country?

Difficult to get an International License if you don't have a Driving License from your home country.

If he doesn't have a driving license then he shouldn't be driving here nor anywhere else anyway.

He is just the kind of lawbreaker we don't need here

Like 90% of the Thai population on the road!!

Good luck with that.....

Well they forgot to tell Chom Thong, I did my bike and car license their in March and was issued the 5 year for the car but only one year for the bike! Bugger!

You were probably just too early.

Look at it from the upside, you'll have your 5 year a year earlier.

As a farang without a license from my own country, coming to Thailand on a tourist visa (not married and i do not study in Thailand),

i can not apply for a license in Thailand.

You need a student visa, a pension visa, or some kind of non-o visa. If you are below 50 years old its impossible.

But if we can get back to the topic now, the question was if anyone hear about the new law/rules regarding the law ?

You can get a licence. Who told you that BS that you cant? Ive bought motorbikes, renewed my driving licences both car and motorbike on visa exempts before.

All you need is a residence certificate from immigration.

Admission of guilt. If you drive without a license you need locking up for everyones safety. No sympathy at all

I dont have a licence....and i drive a 150 cc motocy better than 99% of people in LOS....its not rocket science.

Yes I am but I follow my own logic and not the crowd. (and am willing to take the heat for that)

I have noticed 12-15 year old thai kids driving motorbikes in the provinces and small islands like Samui....I dont think they hjave licenses but they drive pretty ok from what I see.

If they can do it, so can I....thailand is not like usa.europe where you really can become a threat to yourself and others if you dont know what you are doing on the high speed highways....puttering along a small dirt road in samui phuket or pattaya is harmless unless you are speeding or drunk, neither of which I condone.

Of course, in a metro like Bangkok, I would never drive without a license.

Cheers

Yes I am but I follow my own logic and not the crowd. (and am willing to take the heat for that)

I have noticed 12-15 year old thai kids driving motorbikes in the provinces and small islands like Samui....I dont think they hjave licenses but they drive pretty ok from what I see.

If they can do it, so can I....thailand is not like usa.europe where you really can become a threat to yourself and others if you dont know what you are doing on the high speed highways....puttering along a small dirt road in samui phuket or pattaya is harmless unless you are speeding or drunk, neither of which I condone.

Cheers

People with your attitude should never be allowed near a motorised vehicle. You are a danger to everyone on the road.

People with your attitude should never be allowed near a motorised vehicle. You are a danger to everyone on the road.

Allow me to give you a ride some day....Im as sober as a judge when I ride...since when does possessing a piece of paper make one a better driver....I know all the road signs....and I know never to speed....man needs brain to drive not paper....anyway you will be pleased to know that if the fine has been raised to 2K baht then I will probably think twice before getting behind the handlebars.

Cheers

My opinion: those kids get excellent vehicle control but don't understand traffic. They're therefore dangerous to themselves and to others.