Is it ok for your girlfriend to call you farang to her friends?

do you crack one off while trolling?

I am not trolling! I was talking serious about this matter. Until "professor" NanLaew was trying to be a smartass...

You 'was talking serious'... with each post prefixed with 'Haha..'?

Forgive us if we don't take you seriously.

Unless of course that's a nervous laugh?

I don't want to judge anyone, but I think a lot of people are going to be offended. I think the people who say it is okay when there wife, or her family are showing a lack of respect, (by calling you farrang when they know your name) are probably the people who pay there wife and her family a lot of money every month to stay with them!

Maybe that is why they feel more secure than the thin-skinned "don't call me Farang, I have a name" Farangs.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Or maybe that is the reason they have to pay for a woman... The woman think he is a 'wimp' who is afraid to step up for himself. Do you think that is atractive? Or you think a man who doesn't take any BS is more atractive? I don't mean it bad! Just think about it...

I think the guy who gets his knickers in a knot over an inoffensive word is the wimp in this scenario.

No the wimp is who is afraid to correct thai people for using a word describing you instead of your name. Lots of wimps on this board.

It takes a fair bit of arrogance to correct someone on their use of a language they know a lot better than you.

I believe in Thai language it is normal to call somebody by there (nick)name,

So back in Scotland on one of my visits with the wife, popped into the chippy and while waiting for the order, made small talk with the new owner who, cocking his head at the stunningly beautiful, awesomely young and incredibly talented Mrs NL asked, "Who's the oriental then?"

Later, back home, she asked my why the chippy thought she was ornamental.

What's your (nick)name btw?

I know this topic has been beat to death but I will throw in my 2 cents.

The main thing is about context and how the person says something. Someone can say the exact same words but say it in a nice or not so nice way. I think that most foreigners (including myself) who don't know much Thai could not distinguish the difference between saying farang in a nice or rude way.

In the morning meetings at work, they sometimes speak in Thai. The HR manager will say "farang" and they will switch to English. Clearly everyone knows my name, but this is the easiest way to describe the situation. I take no offense to this.

I had a Vietnamese girlfriend in USA that I refereed to as "Vietnam". I thought it was cute to call her that, and in the morning sometimes I would yell "good morning Vietnam!" (true story). The funny thing is she had never seen the movie from which that was from. She was always like "why you say that to me?" She never took offense to that because it was playful.

It is so easy to be offended if one desires. For me, i don't really care about being called farang, but there are definitely circumstances where I would be offended.

Edited by 1BADDAT

I only use wifey with people I know very well....and who know her. It's rarely used. I use her name 99.9% of the time.

It'd be like her referring to me as hubby. A term of endearment. Not farang, a generic classification of people. Huge difference, IMHO.

P.S. when I started getting a bit of a belly, she also jokingly referred to me as moo noi. But only to me. Nobody else.

Seems that enuf people reasoned or not, defo find just the use of the word offensive to give credence to the arguement that maybe it aint quite so cool to use it after all. Or will ignoring that it causes offence just carry on.

rijit

Seems that enuf people reasoned or not, defo find just the use of the word offensive to give credence to the arguement that maybe it aint quite so cool to use it after all. Or will ignoring that it causes offence just carry on.

rijit

You want the Thai people to change their language because a small number of over-sensitive foreigners don't like a neutral word?

Seems a bit much.

rijit

You want the Thai people to change their language because a small number of over-sensitive foreigners don't like a neutral word?

Seems a bit much.

I'd argue they already do. As I do at work and in situations that require me to show respect. You are usually pretty sharp SB.

OB

rijit

Seems a bit much.

I'd argue they already do. As I do at work and in situations that require me to show respect. You are usually pretty sharp SB.

OB

I'd agree that they should treat people with respect. Just as English speakers probably shouldn't call people 'stupid foreigners'. But would I suggest removing the word 'foreigner' from the English language? No. Because that would be a ridiculous over-reaction.

Some Thai people are probably quite disrespectful about farangs. But that doesn't make 'farang' a bad word.

Edited by SoiBiker

rijit

Seems a bit much.

Well this is the whole debate so far - Some think the Word is neutral, others believe it is harmless or insulting depending on the context in which the work Farang is used.

I suspect the subject would be debated between Thai's and opinions would be quite varied as they are on here. If this subject was black and white it would have been put to bed already.

My Wife for example believes the use of the Word Farang in the context many have already discussed is disrespectful. That said, she also pointed out that there are many situations in which the use of the word Farang is not an insult and as you mention SoiBiker, quite neutral.

Why use the W word? She has a name, doesn't she?

Why not just say "gook" about all asians?

Because 'gook' is a racial slur. 'Farang' isn't.

And you decide what is a "racial slur"? Or is this just some kind of weird SJW crusade for you?

rijit

Seems a bit much.

Well this is the whole debate so far - Some think the Word is neutral, others believe it is harmless or insulting depending on the context in which the work Farang is used.

But both those statements mean the same thing - the word itself is neutral, but it can be used in an offensive context. Like 'white', for example. Or 'black'. People can use them to say offensive things, but that doesn't mean we should stop people using the words completely.

It's weird that so many people can't get their head around this concept.

And you decide what is a "racial slur"? Or is this just some kind of weird SJW crusade for you?

Of course I don't.

What's SJW?

rijit

Seems a bit much.

OB

I'd agree that they should treat people with respect. Just as English speakers probably shouldn't call people 'stupid foreigners'. But would I suggest removing the word 'foreigner' from the English language? No. Because that would be a ridiculous over-reaction.

Some Thai people are probably quite disrespectful about farangs. But that doesn't make 'farang' a bad word.

There is a word for foreigner in the thai language and it is not farang. Farang is the equalent of negro in the english word as both are meant to be used on/about a very specific "race". Now, i couldn't really give two satangs if someone used negro, nigger, farang, gook or anything else. If they talked like that to me i would just return the favor, thai people especially "like" when i return the favor with something like "khon dam".

There are words which are universally accepted as being racially offensive....

It's pretty obvious that in any context the use of 'gook' is offensive, whereas this debate discusses the use of the Word Farang, which is clearly not racially offensive, yet when the word Farang is used to replace someones name some are arguing (myself included) that it shows a clumsy and insensitive lack of respect towards the person they are referring to.

I just asked my wife about this. She says it shows a lack of respect. I would never call her "Asian girl" in a conversation. Only her name or refer to her as my wife. She does the same. Mutual respect.

You need to distinguish between nouns and adjectives.

Nouns

1. I hate farangs.

2. Why are farangs in Thailand so fat?

3. Do farangs whinge as much in their own countries as they do here in Thailand?

Adjectives

1. Do you like farang food?

2. What percentage of Thai girls has a farang boyfriend?

3. I had a farang teacher when I learned English at school.

Used as an adjective, the word is harmless. It's also generally innocuous when used as a noun. I've met several older men, however, whose (Isaan) wives referred to them as "the farang" or "the bakseedaa". This is disrespectful, but most elderly westerners married to Isaan women are too stupid to know or care.

It's pretty obvious that in any context the use of 'gook' is offensive, whereas this debate discusses the use of the Word Farang, which is clearly not racially offensive, yet when the word Farang is used to replace someones name some are arguing (myself included) that it shows a clumsy and insensitive lack of respect towards the person they are referring to.

What you mean "pretty obvious"? For who is it "obvious"?

Understand me correctly here... i think anyone should be able to use any word they like about anyone without getting censured/attacked because "group X" doesn't like that word.

rijit

Seems a bit much.

OB

Well seems it does. And i suspect theres a sizeable silent contigency that agree or lean towards agreeing.

rijit

We don't even know whether the OP's girlfriend used it in that context, though. I suspect, like many, he simply picked out the word in a Thai sentence he had no grasp of the meaning of and took offense regardless.

Lets turn this question around

According to thaivisa experts, Thais are the most racist and xenophobic people on the planet (TV posters words not mine) and they have derogatory names for people of various creeds and colors who are not Thai's, so if Farang is not intended as generalised disrespectful or derogatory term for the lilly whites, what is common generalised derogatory term used for the lilly whites then in Thailand ? Or are posters going to naively suggest the lilly whites are loved so much and are such hansum man there is no term given its the same lilly whites who state thais are so racist

Not me but I have heard Thaivisa experts call that term, "anget." I don't know what it means I'm only quoting the Thai Visa experts.

My experience has been that Farang get paid more than Thai people for almost every job where they compete so I can only think the Farang are more valuable to Thai people than Thais.