Kentucky clerk, citing God, defies courts on gay marriage

webfact

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What I don't get is that if she is so convinced that God will judge them on judgement day, why the hell does she think she has any say in the matter?

And why has she got the job anyway, ah yes, because her mother had it for 37 years.

Sack the whinging, entitled spinster.

Media never bothers to mention a few things like - shes a Democrat

Kim Davis Clerk of Rowan County, Kentucky Assumed office
January 1, 2015 Preceded by Jean W. Bailey Personal details Born September 17, 1965 (age 49)
Morehead, Kentucky, U.S. Political party Democratic Spouse(s) Joe Davis[1] Residence Morehead, Kentucky Religion Apostolic Christian

What I don't get is that if she is so convinced that God will judge them on judgement day, why the hell does she think she has any say in the matter?

And why has she got the job anyway, ah yes, because her mother had it for 37 years.

Cannot fire her even if they wanted to. Obama has made terminating employees extremely difficult. Interesting how something this benign and stupid gets in here given all of the serious problems out there getting no attention.

So what?

The media always does that - leave it out unless she was other then that - I think she is wrong and the county issues the lic she just does the paper work, but I bet 90% assume and you know they do that she was other then a Dem. which is exactly why 1000's of pages of media never mention it. This is a well documents effect in media called bias that is vary real.

In other news two Dem's in Denver on the city counsel refuse to allow a fast food chain to run an operation at the airport because the CEO once said he didn't personally agree with gay marriage, but even if that has nothing to do with the food outlet and how it is run they are barred from doing business and you won't even find much mention of that hypocrisy from those that are belittling this obviously confused Democrat that didn't get the memo about gay rights.

So in fact - if this is a issue of importance to the Dem party and they say it is - then they should own it coming and going both ways.

Civil contempt of court is the equivalent of a felony crime which means she can't hold public office of any kind and would also have to resign or be removed. Given the extent of this clerk's willful violations of the Constitution and the entire federal judiciary, the judge should throw her with her Bible in the slammer. She'd have to obey the court to be released then she'd have to resign or be removed by the legislature which would be required by law to toss her if she did not resign.

Lawyers for plaintiffs want her only to have to pay financial penalties but this self-righteous unrepentant needs to be sent to the big house. We need a hangin' judge in this kind of case with this kind of anarchist. Being held in contempt also means she loses almost all of her Constitutional protections to include a trial by jury due to the fact she is denying the Constitution itself. It's time for this unrepentant local holy-poly to reap the whirlwind.

Yes, this plaintiffs lawyers asking she pay only financial penalties is something I find unacceptable as well. She will just launch a gofundme campaign. This is something the baker who refused to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple did. He got half a million dollars! Closed his business and is living it up as some kind of religious activist. This Davis woman is in contempt and belongs in jail. Let her launch her gofundme campaign from jail. If the rubes want to finance her grifting life, let them send food packages to her jail cell.

T

T

Of course people in this modern day and age should be free to make their own sexual lifestyle choices with full protection under the law.

Anything else is bigotry and a violation of their human rights.

Bring back legalised polygamy immediately.

Sure, why not? I can't see the harm in it. The provisos the Indonesian Military put on polygamy were good ones, though, such as showing financial capability, and previous spouses' agreement. Of course, it should work with both genders, and obviously for gay polygamists as well.

Did that last sentence put a damper on your sarcasm?

The judge needs to fine her the maximum amount (after all she is not going to pay, she will get

lots of financial support from those who support her) and throw her in jail until she issues the

licences or resigns. coffee1.gif

I been waiting for that! So far the crazy colorado baker that would not make cakes for gay couples and the pizza store owner in Indiana that closed up claiming he could not serve gay people both got big online donation pages up and the pizza owner made over 800,000 USD in just a few days. I don't think the judge will get anywhere with fining her at all. He is going to need to let her cool off and pray in a jail cell for a few weeks so Jesus can appear and tell her to get on with giving those licenses. Jesus may also want to give her a refresher in the, "Thou shalt not judge.." and many other things Jesus advises his followers to do. Down south the Christian churches do not dispense any Christianity. They pick and choose out of the Old Testament to justify unbelieveable unchristian acts. They justified slavery and segregation and denial of interracial marriage all while singing the praises of Jesus and claiming it was the Christian thing to do.

Cannot fire her even if they wanted to. Obama has made terminating employees extremely difficult. Interesting how something this benign and stupid gets in here given all of the serious problems out there getting no attention.

I love how Obama is at fault for everything in the country. Even the hiring and firing of court clerks in Kentucky. As a police officer I did not agree with a lot of the laws that had to be enforced but I was paid to enforce all the laws, not just the ones I agreed with

If you want Obama to be involved maybe he should federalize the Kentucky National guard and have them surround the court house to enforce the law of the land, like Kennedy did when George Wallace refused to integrate the University of Alabama over fifty years ago

I love how Obama is at fault for everything in the country. Even the hiring and firing of court clerks in Kentucky. As a police officer I did not agree with a lot of the laws that had to be enforced but I was paid to enforce all the laws, not just the ones I agreed with

If you want Obama to be involved maybe he should federalize the Kentucky National guard and have them surround the court house to enforce the law of the land, like Kennedy did when George Wallace refused to integrate the University of Alabama over fifty years ago

Chillax dude. I was responding to comments about how she should be fired. Obama and the NKRB has made it extremely difficult to terminate people. Heck, employers now face religious discrimination for not hiring someone with headwear, makes with long rasta type hair and certain dress even if it is inconsistent with company wide dress codes and policies.

This chick claiming religious stuff now gets way more protection than say 4 or 5 years ago. Obama is quietly hammering away at employment issues as we type.

Of course people in this modern day and age should be free to make their own sexual lifestyle choices with full protection under the law.

Anything else is bigotry and a violation of their human rights.

Bring back legalised polygamy immediately.

Sure, why not? I can't see the harm in it. The provisos the Indonesian Military put on polygamy were good ones, though, such as showing financial capability, and previous spouses' agreement. Of course, it should work with both genders, and obviously for gay polygamists as well.

Did that last sentence put a damper on your sarcasm?

I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

I'm just asking for consistency.

Once you abandon the biblical notion of marriage as "the union of one man with one woman", then everything is on the table. The fact is that while gays "demand" equal rights for their sexual unions, even consensual polygamy has been outlawed for over 150 years in the US.

As for "gay polygamists", how many gays are there who want to marry multiple women?

Chillax dude. I was responding to comments about how she should be fired. Obama and the NKRB has made it extremely difficult to terminate people. Heck, employers now face religious discrimination for not hiring someone with headwear, makes with long rasta type hair and certain dress even if it is inconsistent with company wide dress codes and policies.

This chick claiming religious stuff now gets way more protection than say 4 or 5 years ago. Obama is quietly hammering away at employment issues as we type.

She is not an employee.

Once you abandon the biblical notion of marriage as "the union of one man with one woman", then everything is on the table.

Which is exactly the way it should be in a progressive, permissive society. Everything should be on the table until there's good reason to take it off.

She is not an employee.

Sure she is. There are only two primary choices: employee or independent contractor. She is not an independent contractor. Elected officials are generally state or municipality employees assuming they want to be paid.

Edited by capcc76

Obama is not the best example you could give for somebody enforcing the laws. Try again.

So, what if she was working in McDonalds and while there she becomes a Hindu. One day she shows up at work and refuses to take orders for burgers because she believes god doesn't want us to kill cows?

I was hoping the same-sex marriage issue would have kicked off a broad-scale marriage reform, that secular marriage would be renamed to "civil union" and that marriage would refer to a religious coupling, this way there is no question of the definition of marriage outside of that religion. If a religious group is against same-sex marriage then they don't perform such weddings in their church, and that's that.

I was also hoping that the civil union concept would address another problem with marriage in the US: divorce. With the divorce rate so high something should be done, like a one-year fail safe period. I don't have all the answers for this, but I think the concept should be re-thought. But I think that outside of the LGBT community the biggest boosters for gay marriage were those in the legal profession -- new concepts in marriage lead to new legal precedents, such as in gay divorce, gay alimony, gay child custody, etc. which translates to more business (and possibly fame) for lawyers. Ever wonder why Argentina was so quick to accept it?

But this business about doing what god says is scary stuff. Met a Norwegian guy living in Cambodia who claims he has seen the devil several times and regularly converses with god regarding how to deal with him.

Could somebody try and explain this situation to a European?

A few months ago the US Supreme Court (aka SCOTUS) did announce that prohibiting same-sex marriage was against the US Constitution. Hence civil offices that issue marriage licenses must accept same-sex couples.

The person in question (Davis) works in one such office and refuses to issue a license to such because she believes it is against god's wishes. That's it, bare bones.

Could somebody try and explain this situation to a European?

A few months ago the US Supreme Court (aka SCOTUS) did announce that prohibiting same-sex marriage was against the US Constitution. Hence civil offices that issue marriage licenses must accept same-sex couples.

The person in question (Davis) works in one such office and refuses to issue a license to such because she believes it is against god's wishes. That's it, bare bones.

And how can a government official refuse to apply the law, without being sacked (or transferred away) immediately?

Yeah well, she quotes scripture but have you read her life history? Divorced 3 times, several children out of wedlock, some children with different father even while married to a certain husband. Hardly a role model. She is just hoping to get more notoriety, get on the talk show circuit, get her moment of fame, maybe write a book. Then she won't have to work hard the rest of her life. Just fire the lazy lady. But apparently because she was elected she can't be fired, but can only be impeached next year when the state senate or committee reconvenes or something like that. What a load

Yeah well, she quotes scripture but have you read her life history? Divorced 3 times, several children out of wedlock, some children with different father even while married to a certain husband. Hardly a role model. She is just hoping to get more notoriety, get on the talk show circuit, get her moment of fame, maybe write a book. Then she won't have to work hard the rest of her life. Just fire the lazy lady. But apparently because she was elected she can't be fired, but can only be impeached next year when the state senate or committee reconvenes or something like that. What a load

We all agree that she is a nutter.

Every country has it' s share of nutters.

But in the US a nutter can annihilate (at least temporarily) other people's human / constitutional rights?

Maybe this warrants an invasion by a coalition of foreign countries, even without authorization of the UN? Where is Poetin when you need him?

She is not an employee.

Sure she is. There are only two primary choices: employee or independent contractor. She is not an independent contractor. Elected officials are generally state or municipality employees assuming they want to be paid.

She can not be sacked because she is not an employee.