Bangkok Administration defends the purchase of polyurethane poles

webfact

City Hall defends the purchase of polyurethane poles

122-wpcf_728x404.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has defended its procurement of polyurethane poles saying that its price is reasonable and not too excessive as claimed by critics in the social media.

Mr Thaweesak Lertpraphan, director of the office of traffic and transport of the City Hall, told the media on Wednesday that the polyurethane poles and imported and the City Hall bought the poles at 3,200 baht apiece which was inclusive of installation costs and taxes compared to the US selling price quoted in the website of 132 US dollars per pole or 4,600 baht.

The pole is durable, flexible and can absorb impacts from a car collision much better than a concrete pole and will be safer for motorists and passengers in case of an accident.

Mr Thaweeksak claimed that not only the City Hall, the Highways Department and the Expressway and Rapid Transit Authority have switched to polyurethane poles.

He pointed out that the plastic utility poles showed by critics in the social media which were claimed to be far cheaper than the City Hall’s were made of PVC EVA or plastic which was different from polyurethane.

Despite its low price, he said BMA did not buy the plastic poles because they are unsafe.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/city-hall-defends-the-purchase-of-polyurethane-poles

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-03

They placed them at the exit- and iintake lanes at the main roads. Many of them are driven into allready and very dangerous.

Also i saw them without any reflecting paint, even more dangerous in the dark.

Traffic in BKK is so busy and dangerous that i don't have time to search for those stupid poles. Luckily the Thai also don't see them and even won't feel them driving in their Fortuners.whistling.giftongue.png

If they would have bothered to look in the in the Internet, there are many choices at a much lower price. I found Chinese Suppliers with prices as low as 3 USD (not including shipping). Double the price for a possible better Quality and shipping we are at around 6 USD for quantities purchases.

With quantities needed, i am also sure Thai Plastic Injection Companies would have been happy to make a mould and produce locally too. PU would be available worldwide.

I have to say that the trend of bringing these things to light through Social Media is great and should reduce these things hopefully!

The polyurethane posts are more expensive, about $75 in the Grainger online catalog, which is a good benchmark. So $100 installed is a reasonable price.

Of course, the justification is that the polyurethane posts will last much longer than cheaper types. Not many people will accept this idea, even it it's true. Most people like to buy cheap (see Home Depot screen shot above).

A quick check on Alibaba.com one can find similar ployurethane traffic poles made in India and China for about 8USD each FOB with 8-13 year warranty. I wouldn't be surprised that a buyer could even get a quantity discount for a thousand or more poles.

The polyurethane posts are more expensive, about $75 in the Grainger online catalog, which is a good benchmark. So $100 installed is a reasonable price.

Of course, the justification is that the polyurethane posts will last much longer than cheaper types. Not many people will accept this idea, even it it's true. Most people like to buy cheap (see Home Depot screen shot above).

Your no junta fan so if you state this I will believe you.

A quick check on Alibaba.com one can find similar ployurethane traffic poles made in India and China for about 8USD each FOB with 8-13 year warranty. I wouldn't be surprised that a buyer could even get a quantity discount for a thousand or more poles.

It is likely the posts offered in the US by Grainger originated in China. I am sure much lower prices can be had by doing a direct deal with a Chinese factory. You just have to know how to protect yourself from shoddy merchandise.

Do you seriously believe that made in India or China for $8.00 apiece, they will also come with any meaningful warranty, never mind 8 - 13 yrs?

India and China - widely known for their wonderful quality, careful installation and after sales service.

Do you seriously believe that made in India or China for $8.00 apiece, they will also come with any meaningful warranty, never mind 8 - 13 yrs?

A warranty of 8 - 13 years cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I see them installed at the entrances of highways and other roads, and they hardly manage 8 -13 DAYS before they are driven into pieces by the Thai road warriors.

I doubt that is covered under the warranty though.