Visa run to Laos

Hello,

At this moment I am staying in a place near Roi et. I live in Thailand on a multiple non immigrant O (marriage) visa. I never have done a visa run before.. I think the best place for me to go is to Savannakhet!? I can just cross the border and go back right away to the Thai border? Do I need to pay the 1500 Baht for a Laos visa?

Thanks for your help.

You must stamp out through Thai immigration, have US$35 in good notes (or 1500 Baht, which equates to more) ready to buy a Lao visa on arrival on the Lao side of the Friendship Bridge (counter on the left before immigration booths).

Through buses from Mukdahan bus station leave every 30 mins from 8.30am to evening, they will take you to the Thai checkpoint, across the bridge after the checkpoint, and into Savannakhet too after Lao immigration, if you so wish, but you may need to wait for the next bus if you are delayed at any point. Cost 50 Baht for all or part of the whole journey.

There is nothing to stop you turning around once in Lao, stamping straight out again, paying 50 Baht again and taking the next bus back to the Thai side, through Thai immigration, and back to Mukdahan bus station.

You must stamp out through Thai immigration, have US$35 in good notes (or 1500 Baht, which equates to more) ready to buy a Lao visa on arrival on the Lao side of the Friendship Bridge (counter on the left before immigration booths).

Through buses from Mukdahan bus station leave every 30 mins from 8.30am to evening, they will take you to the Thai checkpoint, across the bridge after the checkpoint, and into Savannakhet too after Lao immigration, if you so wish, but you may need to wait for the next bus if you are delayed at any point. Cost 50 Baht for all or part of the whole journey.

There is nothing to stop you turning around once in Lao, stamping straight out again, paying 50 Baht again and taking the next bus back to the Thai side, through Thai immigration, and back to Mukdahan bus station.

reminder that different nationalities pay different Lao visa fees. Canadians pay $42 for example.

reminder that different nationalities pay different Lao visa fees. Canadians pay $42 for example.

Plus a dollar in the evening for "overtime". Not sure what time they start that racket - 6:00 PM?

• Like 1

Yes, and Swiss go free, apparently.

Plus a dollar in the evening for "overtime". Not sure what time they start that racket - 6:00 PM?

So I take it that it's closer for you to do a visa run versus going to an immigration office.

Everybody thanks for the help!

I don't think they have an immigration office in Roi Et? At an Immigration office I can only get 60 days extra, for visiting my wife. From where I live it is 2 hours by buss to get to Mukdahan. So I think it is better for me to do a visa run.

They don't charge you an overtime fee between 8am and 4pm on weekdays

but some IOs will ask you for some money as a stamp fee, which is around

40-50B or 10,000kip.

As to the fee for a visa on arrival, go to this website. (Hope it still stays the same.)

http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html#visafee

Edited by Too

Hello,

Mukdahan is closer to Roi Et where you live now but you can

also enter Laos through Chong Mek if you should have an

errand to do in Ubon Ratchathani on your way.

The mini-vans run from Ubon Ratchathani Bus Terminal to

Chong Mek, and it's only a 10-min walk to the Thai border

and then another 5-min walk to the Lao border.