Drink Drive campaign ,now getting serious

loppylugs1

I have read your post a few times and it seems to say you agree with me! I feel sure as you appear to, that both offenders and the police would prefer an increased roadside penalty to be paid (nod nod, wink wink) to keep the official paperwork/records to the absolute minimum. This way the police increase their income and the driver can continue to offend, and avoid a court appearance. It perpetuates the 'money-go-round'!

Yes I agree, its a money go round. ( I like that term ) thumbsup.gif

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are countless Farangs drink driving on a regular basis around the "Dark Side" every day.

After all, its part of the reason they live in Thailand.

Cheap Booze, Lax laws ( not just the sale of booze, but drink driving ), and easy access to the drink 24/7.

These people know they cannot exist in their own countries by living such a lifestyle, so they come here to " live the good life ", where the Law will allow them to be totally irrisponsible.

There should be a short sharp shock treatment for these people of 4 weeks in the Monkey House if caught drink driving. After all, in their own countries the penalties are much, much severe.

The threat of Jail time and deportation should certainly take care of the countless Farangs that drink and drive, need tougher penalties to at least get the Farangs to think twice.

Any suggestions for the non-farang offenders?

As Thais can't be deported, mandatory Jail time ?

How many Farangs drink and drive, c'mon guys it's an anonymous forum, you can admit it ?

I don't drink Alcohol but I know many that do and most think nothing of getting on their bike or in their car after having too much to drink, draconian penalties should put a stop to most offenders.

What about if you get drunk with the police officer ? Oh got it, you then are assured to have a pal in jail smile.png

Edit : if Thailand comes as boring as "civilised" countries, or so called one's, I'm out of here... good point, they resisted colonization. It happens that I drive drunk, as It happened since I have my licence (22 years), be it here or elsewhere, never had an accident in about 700000km

wath amulet do you have??

The threat of Jail time and deportation should certainly take care of the countless Farangs that drink and drive, need tougher penalties to at least get the Farangs to think twice.

How many Farangs drink and drive, c'mon guys it's an anonymous forum, you can admit it ?

I don't drink Alcohol but I know many that do and most think nothing of getting on their bike or in their car after having too much to drink, draconian penalties should put a stop to most offenders.

and then every bar out of walking reach (100m is enough for most) will close down.....any more winning ideas, brainiac?

Obviously keeping a bar open is more imortant than saving lives. Sick people on here

What about if you get drunk with the police officer ? Oh got it, you then are assured to have a pal in jail smile.png

Edit : if Thailand comes as boring as "civilised" countries, or so called one's, I'm out of here... good point, they resisted colonization. It happens that I drive drunk, as It happened since I have my licence (22 years), be it here or elsewhere, never had an accident in about 700000km

wath amulet do you have??

Very good clap2.gif

Yes I want 5 of the same please

I drive Jomtien to Nakulia twice a day, 5 top quality Amulets would keep the naughty drunk drivers away from me. gigglem.gif

Edited by onemorechang

New law appears in "Legal Issues". Will be discussed

At X-Pat meeting.

Ohhh. Ok then.

I was more oping you had a link to this so called new law being published in the Royal Thailand Government Gazette.

Edited by Don Mega

Thailand49 Great post

Well done

What about the many Farangs that Drink and Drive, what's their excuse ?

Do the Farangs drive at 140km down the road after a beer ? No

Do the Thai men drive down the road at 140km after a beer ? Yes.

Do the Thai men drive down the road at 140km with out a beer ? Yes

Farangs, I don't care, its a very small problem, in the big picture.

You have proof that NO Farangs drive at 140 whilst over the limit, are you saying that Farangs don't drink and drive in Thailand, are you saying that no Farangs break the speed limits, are you saying only Thai men do this ?

As for it being a small problem, it won't be if you get pulled or are involved in an RTA with fatalities and you're over the limit, and it's not a small problem for many ThaiVisa members who drink and Drive, few admit it, but many do it, forget the denials, you're Farangs in Thailand, nearly all that drink and have a car or bike drink and drive, that is in my experience garnered over a quarter of a century ( sounds longer than since 1990 smile.png ), or are you saying ThaiVisa members are different ? rolleyes.gif

Thailand49 Great post

Well done

What about the many Farangs that Drink and Drive, what's their excuse ?

You have proof that NO Farangs drive at 140 whilst over the limit, are you saying that Farangs don't drink and drive in Thailand, are you saying that no Farangs break the speed limits, are you saying only Thai men do this ? gigglem.gif

As for it being a small problem, it won't be if you get pulled or are involved in an RTA with fatalities and you're over the limit, and it's not a small problem for many ThaiVisa members who drink and Drive, few admit it, but many do it, forget the denials, you're Farangs in Thailand, nearly all that drink and have a car or bike drink and drive, that is in my experience garnered over a quarter of a century ( sounds longer than since 1990 smile.png ), or are you saying ThaiVisa members are different ? rolleyes.gif

Have another case of Chang, pickle your brain some more and carry on in your fantasy world where all Thais are bad and all Farangs are good.

Edited by Broken Record

I won't drive when I'm totally pissed, but when I've had 4-8 beers I don't feel drunk at all and completely capable of driving and it's only a short ride home.

Obvious it could result in a huge problem when some other drunk motorcyclist pushes in front of my car and a crash is unavoidable with injuries as a result

With the same amount of alcohol I would drive in my own country as well, so it's not just a Thailand thing. In Thailand I mostly drive on my motorbike while in my own country I solely drive a car so there I could do more damage then here, however the chance of getting involved in an accident is a lot smaller in my own country as most people do abide by the rules there.

In Thailand it just feels more 'safe' as I know I can always buy myself out, one phone call to my lawyer is enough, in my own country they're real strict, might've to join some AA club or even jail time and no option to buy yourself out of it of course, could try but I bet that would make the situation only worst.

Anyway, none of it is any excuse, and we shouldn't drive after drinking so shame on me for treating it as a calculated risk.

@onemorechang: If Thai people drive 140km/hour pissed than farangs as well, we're not different species. I learned my lesson in a situation that scared the hell out of me (nothing happened) but it could've killed many including myself. Since than I only allow myself to drink a little and abide to speed limits and all that (4-8 beers is a little, sorry can't make it better than that wink.png

ps: Straight roads become real curvy at 180km/hour.

Edited by dennis123

You have proof that NO Farangs drive at 140 whilst over the limit, are you saying that Farangs don't drink and drive in Thailand, are you saying that no Farangs break the speed limits, are you saying only Thai men do this ? gigglem.gif

Have another case of Chang, pickle your brain some more and carry on in your fantasy world where all Thais are bad and all Farangs are good.

25 years in Thailand, your not very observant are you.

Falangs on the roads and Thais, sorry mate Falangs win hands down, way more safer in a car or bike with the falang driving or riding.

BTW people who state they don't drink are mostly made up of people who were alcoholics in the past

and have done all the bad things long ago.

Have a nice day.

25 years in Thailand, your not very observant are you.

Falangs on the roads and Thais, sorry mate Falangs win hands down, way more safer in a car or bike with the falang driving or riding.

BTW people who state they don't drink are mostly made up of people who were alcoholics in the past

and have done all the bad things long ago.

Have a nice day.

If you talk about averages I think the foreigner drives better than the Thai yes.

Also some Thai don't seem to give a <deleted>, a guy I know caused a pretty heavy accident with injuries, hit a motorbike with his car while being totally pissed, motorcyclist in coma for 24 hours, and when he talked about it he didn't seem concerned at all, I mean <deleted>, at that point he didn't even know whether the guy would wake up from the coma or not, thank god he did but how on earth can you tell such story with a smile on your face. Some people are really <deleted> up.

Talking about driving, what's the excuse of hundreds of people trying to get passed you at 2 lane roads in the day time during Songkran when it's crazy busy on the roads.

I drove from Pattaya to Amnat Charoen, quite a drive, i can't even count the amount of times that I had to move all the way to the left cause some idiot felt the middle of the road belongs to him.

Seriously at least a 100 times or so that I had to do effort to get out of the way to prevent a massive crash, not to mention the dozens of near bumper to bumper accidents cause a similar situation as described above happened in front of us.

I've never seen so many accidents in one single day on that trip, at least 50 crashed cars.

That definitely tells you something about the Thai driving style, I never witnessed something like that in my own country on a 2 lane road, sure there is always some imbecil at high speed but I hardly ever have to get out of the way, into the grass with my own car to avoid them. For the record, I used to do transport services with a mini van in my own country so I've drove an awful lot and the amount of crashed cars I've seen in my whole life, likely doesn't even add up to the amount of crashed car I saw in one single day during Songkran.

It cant be anywhere as tough as Australia------I was driving home with a girl I had just picked up at a club a few years back, when I got pulled over.

The copper said have you been drinking Sir? no--not at all I said, why was I driving badly? No, he said you were driving quite well. It was just the ugly fat bird in the passenger seat that made me suspicious.........................coffee1.gif

It will just be turned into a

very large tea money making opportunity. wai2.gif

You are about 90% correct. It would be 100% but you used the future tense by saying "It will just be etc". Thai police would protest if drunk drivers were ever to be taken-off the road for any lengthy period eg 5 year ban. Banning habitual drunk drivers would remove potential re-offenders from the police tea money gravy train. In effect this would mean current 'investment vehicles' being depleted if driving bans were enforced, The lack of strict enforcement of the wearing of helmets is a good example of keeping investment income rolling into police coffers. As we know police salaries are a pittance, and every means possible is used to supplement the police force's income.

I might sound cynical, but please feel free to differ and then explain to me why all categories of road traffic offenders are fined and not banned.

i have one issue with your logic. If they are paying tea money then they won't be put through the system anyway. The tougher the penalties are, the more likely the offender will come up with the tea money to avoid prosecution

I have read your post a few times and it seems to say you agree with me! I feel sure as you appear to, that both offenders and the police would prefer an increased roadside penalty to be paid (nod nod, wink wink) to keep the official paperwork/records to the absolute minimum. This way the police increase their income and the driver can continue to offend, and avoid a court appearance. It perpetuates the 'money-go-round'!
I think I misinterpreted your original statement a little. Yes offenders and police alike would prefer the money-go-round.

Onemorechang.

What you meant with the statement It is a very, very far deeper problem, and your question to itsmylife, as to what he's on about? The same has been asked of you. We're not all mind readers. Hence the please explain.

You don't need to be a mind reader.

Go back and read the hole thread

And have a look at post 16 that's as far as im going.

At that point you can make your own mind up about what I think the real problem is.

Also have a look at post 72

Have a nice day .wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

The whole drink drive thing is overstated in my opinion, that is with regard to legal drink drive limits. Total BS. Yes, if you are totally pissed you are not capable of driving.

Bad driving is the issue here. If I have had a fair few beers I am quite capable of driving home on my moto, perfectly safely, without endangering anyone.

I have been know to let the GF drive with me on the back or get a moto taxi. Either way scary, and I think to my self I am endangering my life here by not driving myself which I know is a good deal safer, even after a good few beers. Just to avoid a problem with the police. I am safer driving myself. Fact!

The danger on the roads, are people driving badly, to fast. to aggressive, not paying attention. Drunk or sober!

I drive well, safely, defensively with consideration for other road users, I use my mirrors and look out ahead. Drunk (read well over DD limit) or sober!

Edited by kevkev1888

I have been know to let the GF drive with me on the back or get a moto taxi. Either way scary, and I think to my self I am endangering my life here by not driving myself which I know is a good deal safer, even after a good few beers. Just to avoid a problem with the police. I am safer driving myself. Fact!

Hahaha,when I went out with my boyfriend, who drinks as well, he often said let me drive, more safe.

NO FREAKING WAY!!! :D

What an enlightening post:

1. You drive drunk to alleviate boredom.

2. Drunk driving is safe because you've managed to go 22 years without an accident.

Seriously dude, you need to get off the bottle today and save the few brain cells you have left.

The whole drink drive thing is overstated in my opinion, that is with regard to legal drink drive limits. Total BS. Yes, if you are totally pissed you are not capable of driving.

Bad driving is the issue here. If I have had a fair few beers I am quite capable of driving home on my moto, perfectly safely, without endangering anyone.

The danger on the roads, are people driving badly, to fast. to aggressive, not paying attention. Drunk or sober!

I drive well, safely, defensively with consideration for other road users, I use my mirrors and look out ahead. Drunk (read well over DD limit) or sober!

The drinking is messing with your logic.

It's not about how good a driver you THINK you are, but the fact that alcohol makes you less good, no matter how good you think you were before drinking.

This is not a theory, but a proven scientific fact - your reflexes are impaired by alcohol.

Getting you off the roads and into a jail cell will make the roads safer.

What an enlightening post:

1. You drive drunk to alleviate boredom.
2. Drunk driving is safe because you've managed to go 22 years without an accident.

Seriously dude, you need to get off the bottle today and save the few brain cells you have left.

I consider drunk driving when you are over the legal limit that is 0.5... 2 cans of beer or 2 glasses of wine and you are over. Guess the difference between us is for sure brains cells as you seem to be a smart one. Oh and didn't see this is in pattaya forum, the place where all guys are saints.
Cheers, going to get drunk Edited by Rimmer